yesterday (9/10) was a sad day for billiards!

breakandrunrob

The Reaper
Silver Member
i will start off by saying i watched the video where you can hear earl call the 2 ball. regardless of what he was aiming or looking at. HE CALLED THE 2! shouldve been jason's shot! if or when you play with the antics that earl does your gonna be called out like that. im sure if jason were playing a darren or mika he wouldnt have said anything. i met mr shaw last weekend and he was a true gentleman not once was there drama in one of his matches. i used to root for earl but after yesterday i feel different. if we as a pool playing community want this game to grow and improve players like mr strickland shouldnt be given the time of day.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i will start off by saying i watched the video where you can hear earl call the 2 ball. regardless of what he was aiming or looking at. HE CALLED THE 2! shouldve been jason's shot! if or when you play with the antics that earl does your gonna be called out like that. im sure if jason were playing a darren or mika he wouldnt have said anything. i met mr shaw last weekend and he was a true gentleman not once was there drama in one of his matches. i used to root for earl but after yesterday i feel different. if we as a pool playing community want this game to grow and improve players like mr strickland shouldnt be given the time of day.

Gentle men's rules I guess it was obvious he was trying to make the ball he was looking at it forever. But I agree. I would have called the foul. It's the world championship

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
The ref called the outcome. Don't blame Earl.

I like you & almost everything you post but I call BS on this. I do blame Earl, if he would just man up & be honest the ref wouldn't have to make the call he did. Earl had already made this error once earlier. To stick to a lie in order to win is an act of desperation, not the act of a Champion. It's weak.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to blame earl if you called the wrong ball you just call the wrong ball you got to eat that. I was a big supporter of earl but not anymore. What a bush league move!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like you & almost everything you post but I call BS on this. I do blame Earl, if he would just man up & be honest the ref wouldn't have to make the call he did. Earl had already made this error once earlier. To stick to a lie in order to win is an act of desperation, not the act of a Champion. It's weak.

I saw what Earl was looking at. I trust that Earl would not have taken the two if he had missed the ten that he intended and pocketed the two.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Earl shouldn't be given the time of day? He's a 5 time US Open Champion and one of the top 2 or 3 players to ever play pool.
"pool playing community to grow and improve" Yes, with all the drugs being taken in the parking lot of the poolroom, all the tattoos, piercings, criminal element and laminated $20 bills, it hardly looks like Earl Strickland is the problem pool isn't growing. I hear too many whiners that won't enter a tournament because "I need the 7 and 3 on the wire."

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl shouldn't be given the time of day? He's a 5 time US Open Champion and one of the top 2 or 3 players to ever play pool.
"pool playing community to grow and improve" Yes, with all the drugs being taken in the parking lot of the poolroom, all the tattoos, piercings, criminal element and laminated $20 bills, it hardly looks like Earl Strickland is the problem pool isn't growing. I hear too many whiners that won't enter a tournament because "I need the 7 and 3 on the wire."

Ain't that the truth! I agree!

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've called a wrong ball before in a $35 dollar tourney and my opponent pointed it out while he laughed and let me keep shooting, if the shot is obvious it shouldn't matter

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
tournaments have rules so whatever the rule is that is what is to be followed.

as far as why people dont enter them is that most dont have any chance as with pool the better players take off all the money.
so only a fool would enter a tournament that isnt handicapped fairly.

and only a fool would play someone for cash that didnt have the best of the game with a spot if needed.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

could someone provide a link to the video
thanks

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've called a wrong ball before in a $35 dollar tourney and my opponent pointed it out while he laughed and let me keep shooting, if the shot is obvious it shouldn't matter

In a game of true warriors , the foul would have been pointed out.Earl admits he messed up and Jayson turns play back to Earl so he can continue his run as he obviously made a small mistake.

Instead,Jayson jumps up like a douche,Earl lies,they argue like fools waiting for the decision,the ref blows the call,and Jayson then quits like a crying ass baby while MFing Earl out the door.Stay classy San Diego!

Bar league apa garbage at it's finest.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
From Dragon Promotions

"The official rule : If the Player or Referee (as in traditional 14.1 matches) calls the incorrect ball number on an obvious shot, the obvious shot and pocket called supersedes the mistaken numeric call." *in the case with Mr. Strickland's shot, it was obvious to the referee as well as the entire audience he was attempting to shoot the 10ball. He also indicated the shot with his cue beforehand during video replay. Furthermore, the mistaken ball called was the 2ball , which looked unplayable inside the stack with no obvious pocket. Furthermore, the earlier call should have also been in favor of Mr. Strickland on the first obvious shot call. *3 experienced 14.1 experts and officials unanimously agreed on all the above. * We would like to add that we encourage good sportsmanship first and gentlemanly conduct by all players. This includes the "Gentleman's Call" rule on obvious shots.

Wedge

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jason tried to win on a techinicality....My opinion is if he wants to win, HE SHOULD OUTPLAY THE OTHER GUY AND QUIT TRYING TO WIN ON BULLSHIT.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
jason tried to win on a techinicality....My opinion is if he wants to win, HE SHOULD OUTPLAY THE OTHER GUY AND QUIT TRYING TO WIN ON BULLSHIT.

Earl made a great shot on the 10 ball.... but he CALLED the 2.
14.1 is a CALL shot game. There's no trying to win on bullshit.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he called the 2. he can only hope jayson is a sport and overlooks the error, but in this case jayson calls earl out, so earl should have to end his run

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The official rule : If the Player or Referee (as in traditional 14.1 matches) calls the incorrect ball number on an obvious shot, the obvious shot and pocket called supersedes the mistaken numeric call."

Please stop using this "official rule." you've already done this on another thread, and you were called out on it as the rule you cited does not contain this so called "official rule"

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Quoting

"The official rule : If the Player or Referee (as in traditional 14.1 matches) calls the incorrect ball number on an obvious shot, the obvious shot and pocket called supersedes the mistaken numeric call."

Please stop using this "official rule." you've already done this on another thread, and you were called out on it as the rule you cited does not contain this so called "official rule"

I am just copying hat Dragon Promotions posted on Facebook as their response to the situation...lighten up