Diamond Ball Polisher issue...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As I said: I have been using Aramith Ball Cleaner, in a diamond ball polisher, for years without a problem.

I will also note that contrary to your opinion that "the aramith ball cleaner was not designed to be used in a ball polisher machine, it was designed for hand polishing the balls" the folks at Aramith believe their product will work fine with an "electric buffer." I'm guessing that's just a mis-translation from Dutch to English for "ball polisher."

Lou Figueroa

Show a picture of the carpet and separation sprocket on your ball polisher;)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Show a picture of the carpet and separation sprocket on your ball polisher;)

er, OK.

This is about a two or three year old set of pad and sprocket that get's used about five times a week. There's wear but little to no residue.

Lou Figueroa
whadda I win?!
whadda I win?!

Attachments

• IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 345

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sprocket and outer ring pad for the Diamond unit are easy to clean regularly to avoid ANY buildup - warm running water in the sink and two fingers wrapped in a wash cloth renew them both in a few minutes. Shake and then wipe dry with a microfiber towel. Let them set overnight and you’re good to go. Easy to order an extra full set from the great folks at Diamond as well.

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
er, OK.

This is about a two or three year old set of pad and sprocket that get's used about five times a week. There's wear but little to no residue.

Lou Figueroa
whadda I win?!
whadda I win?!

Turn the sprocket over, that works like putting new carpet on it. You run the balls through it a lot with no polish on them at all, and no, you haven't used very much aramith cleaner as it hasn't built up like clay in the carpeting. The reason I can tell you don't always use the cleaner is because of how worn the carpet is on the sprocket out towards the ends of the teeth, that wear is from dry balls.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turn the sprocket over, that works like putting new carpet on it. You run the balls through it a lot with no polish on them at all, and no, you haven't used very much aramith cleaner as it hasn't built up like clay in the carpeting. The reason I can tell you don't always use the cleaner is because of how worn the carpet is on the sprocket out towards the ends of the teeth, that wear is from dry balls.

Well, duh.

I said all that -- I use very little cleaner and I run the them through without cleaner sometimes. You don't have to use the product every single time and they'll come out very nicely polished if you just use the cleaner, like once every four or five days.

Regardless, the point remains that the Aramith Cleaner was designed for, and can be used in a ball polisher, contrary to what you said. Just don't go nuts on how much polish you use.

Lou Figueroa

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well, duh.

I said all that -- I use very little cleaner and I run the them through without cleaner sometimes. You don't have to use the product every single time and they'll come out very nicely polished if you just use the cleaner, like once every four or five days.

Regardless, the point remains that the Aramith Cleaner was designed for, and can be used in a ball polisher, contrary to what you said. Just don't go nuts on how much polish you use.

Lou Figueroa

Lie, I invented this ball polisher back in 1995 and I'm telling you point blank, the aramith ball cleaner was not designed for use in any motorized ball polisher that uses any kind of pads or carpeting. You've used the cleaner sparingly, great for you, BUT I can speak for the many times I've replaced the buffing surfaces because of the aramith cleaner used. I can walk up to a pool table and just look at it and can tell if the aramith cleaner polish is being used on the balls because of the build up on the cushion cloth. You may be an exception buddy, but you're NOT the norm!!

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
well, here's another data point with a homebrew cleaner that also gets great results over several years by using the correct amount of Aramith cleaner.

and to emphasize what someone said earlier: Dan White's research on Meguire's Detailer vs. Aramith is not to be ignored if you care about results on the table vs just having the balls look pretty. the comparison on the consistency of throw over time is just not even close.

Last edited:

Miller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
well, here's another data point with a homebrew cleaner that also gets great results over several years by using the correct amount of Aramith cleaner.

and to emphasize what someone said earlier: Dan White's research on Meguire's Detailer vs. Aramith is not to be ignored if you care about results on the table vs just having the balls look pretty. the comparison on the consistency of throw over time is just not even close.

Probably like most here, I have tried virtually every product you can think of (have even mixed a few concoctions of my own). I can't imagine any knowledgeable pool player who "knows" the way balls should behave would come to any other conclusion other than using the Aramith product to date.

(Of course when you just arbitrarily spin balls at a high RPM -and- amount of time with a stock Dayton motor in conjunction with automotive/speaker carpet, all that probably just goes out the window....but I guess that's a whole other discussion.....)

:smile:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lie, I invented this ball polisher back in 1995 and I'm telling you point blank, the aramith ball cleaner was not designed for use in any motorized ball polisher that uses any kind of pads or carpeting. You've used the cleaner sparingly, great for you, BUT I can speak for the many times I've replaced the buffing surfaces because of the aramith cleaner used. I can walk up to a pool table and just look at it and can tell if the aramith cleaner polish is being used on the balls because of the build up on the cushion cloth. You may be an exception buddy, but you're NOT the norm!!

Any product can be mis-used/over-used.

And while you may have designed the ball polisher, you did not formulate Aramith Ball Cleaner, which clearly says on the bottle that it can be used with an electric buffer. Unless Aramith expected you to finish polishing your car and then swoop over to your pool table, that means a ball polisher.

Lou Figueroa
truth

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably like most here, I have tried virtually every product you can think of (have even mixed a few concoctions of my own). I can't imagine any knowledgeable pool player who "knows" the way balls should behave would come to any other conclusion other than using the Aramith product to date.

(Of course when you just arbitrarily spin balls at a high RPM -and- amount of time with a stock Dayton motor in conjunction with automotive/speaker carpet, all that probably just goes out the window....but I guess that's a whole other discussion.....)

:smile:

More truth.

I used to use Novus1 until Dan came out with his tests. IOWs, as you've said, it's not just about making them shiny, it's also about how the product effects throw and how the balls play.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And while you may have designed the ball polisher, you did not formulate Aramith Ball Cleaner, which clearly says on the bottle that it can be used with an electric buffer. Unless Aramith expected you to finish polishing your car and then swoop over to your pool table, that means a ball polisher.

Lou Figueroa
truth

Actually let’s correct your stance a bit. Since you posted a picture of your bottle of cleaner, what does step 5 say that step 4 doesn’t? It’s called comprehension and you have none of it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
truth
Do you actually think aramith is going to NOT recommend using their product in a ball polisher, and lose out on sales? And if following the directions, do you polish the balls after EVERY game played as recommended for ideal play?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually let’s correct your stance a bit. Since you posted a picture of your bottle of cleaner, what does step 5 say that step 4 doesn’t? It’s called comprehension and you have none of it.

There’s only 4 steps listed.

Lou Figueroa
5th step?
can’t talk about comprehension
‘til you learn to read, lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you actually think aramith is going to NOT recommend using their product in a ball polisher, and lose out on sales? And if following the directions, do you polish the balls after EVERY game played as recommended for ideal play?

What I believe is that Aramith knows more about phenolic resin than you do. And, as I’ve demonstrated and you’ve acknowledged, their product can be safely used in a Diamond ball polisher.

There’s a difference between a “recommendation” and “Directions.” Having said that, I would expect that at something like a major 14.1 championship that they would clean the balls after every game.

For me, carting my polisher to the pool hall and running out to the parking lot and hooking up a generator to run my polisher after every game is not a practical option, so I settle for cleaning them after every session.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What step 5 are you referring to?? I only see 4 steps......

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be realistic, Lou.

You take the polisher into the poolroom.
Then you don't have to carry the balls outside and you can leave the generator in the car...duh.
What I believe is that Aramith knows more about phenolic resin than you do. And, as I’ve demonstrated and you’ve acknowledged, their product can be safely used in a Diamond ball polisher.

There’s a difference between a “recommendation” and “Directions.” Having said that, I would expect that at something like a major 14.1 championship that they would clean the balls after every game.

For me, carting my polisher to the pool hall and running out to the parking lot and hooking up a generator to run my polisher after every game is not a practical option, so I settle for cleaning them after every session.

Lou Figueroa

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member

It's kind of time consuming to pause between every game to clean all the balls, so what I recommend instead are smaller, incremental cleanings. The easiest one is simply to clean every ball after it is pocketed. Just make it part of your pre-shot routine.

(*) Recommended by obsessive compulsive disorder players everywhere.