Dr. Dave falls victim to his own to his own experimental bias?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think what you're seeing is the cue being thrown against his open bridge thumb by the rotating CB and then rebounding back to the left. The "tell" is that his stick ends up on top of his bridge hand - if he was steering it, it would still be in the V of his bridge.

Happens to me constantly with my open bridge - in fact I've often thought that it must look like I'm wildly steering my stroke. I'm not. I doubt that Dave is either.

pj
chgo

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave falls victim to his own experimental bias?

I didn’t want to add this to the thread that originally sparked me to write this because it would be off-topic but in the thread “Shaft Comparison” by Rico, Dr. Dave wrote:

If you want to know the reasons CF shafts are a growing trend, see:

NV J.12 - How to Select a Pool Cue, Cue Ball Deflection, Carbon Fiber, Revo vs. Cuetec

Enjoy,
Dave

Ok, I’m calling a “Gotcha” on you, Dr. Dave.

First, let me state that I taught myself how to play pool with your “Illustrated Principles” book. My copy has plenty of use on it. Only recently have I begun to investigate your website, however. I’m very detail oriented, so I notice some things that might just be passed over by others on occasion.

I just reviewed your video and the comparisons of LD shafts and the differences of the Cuetec and Revo shafts that you directed us to in your earlier posting in Rico’s thread. I hadn’t seen that one before.

I, Pool Sleuth Slim, immediately noticed something odd in the clip and re-watched the segment of the clip that that I was calling into question. Says I, I says to myself, “I thinks I’s gots somethin’ here”. Or at least so I says to myself, says I.

In order to determine whether my highly refined sleuth instincts were oriented properly, I went to a couple of your other clips to assure myself I was on the correct path (puns intended).

First, I took a look at both you and Bob taking ordinary straight shots in your videos. Every shot I saw had you and Bob demonstrating straight follow-through. No exceptions. I was reminded of what Phil Capelle stresses in his books, “All shots are straight”. I went to your video NV 2.6 – “Steering follow through” here:

https://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/NV2-6.htm

where you say, “Inexperience players often suffer what is called stroke steer . . . It does not have good consequences, unfortunately.”

I bet it doesn’t.

So now, Wannabe Pool Hustlers, Chronic Pool Story Exaggerators, Imaginary Six-Pack Wonders, Pool Cue Pushers and Dedicated Rail Birds, I direct your attention to the video in question:

https://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVJ-12.htm

Pay attention to Dr. Dave’s cue alignment on his test shots starting at 1:58 – 3:47. After stating in the video that his (Dr. Dave’s) goal is to “[keep] the cue parallel to the aiming line” on the shots using deflection, you will notice that the cue steers off center directly in line with the cue ball’s deflection with the most off center steering occurring when shooting with the Player’s cue. Stop the video at 2:59 and examine the shaft alignment with the Player’s cueball deflection alignment. Dr. Dave’s shaft is maybe 30 degrees off center. The shaft’s alignment with the cueball’s deflection is also almost perfect when testing the other shafts. Now watch the “Aim Compensation with Sidespin” demonstration beginning at 3:22. Notice the difference? Dr. Dave’s cue has near perfectly straight follow-through.

So I says to myself, you know, I says, “Listen, the odds of Dr. Dave’s near perfect shaft alignment with the cueball deflection as seen in this demonstration being coincidental or haphazard seems to me practically nil.” So anyways that’s what I says to myself after saying that to myself.

So, after consulting the staff Doctors of Psychoanalysis at the offices of Looney, Tooney, Head, and Shrinker with all my accumulated evidence, we have come to the conclusion that Dr. Dave is indeed unconsciously attempting to steer the cueball in that video in order to affirm the predetermined results of his previous testing of these shafts.

Now, this is not to accuse Dr. Dave of any malicious intent in his demonstration. I don’t question the results. He obviously had already tested these shafts out and was just reaffirming knowledge in this video he had already acquired from previous testing. I find it rather humorous that Dr. Dave in his videotaped shooting demonstration would fall victim to his own experimental bias, even if the results are accurate.

Either that or Dr. Dave is really one of the “inexperienced players using stroke steer” whom his other video informs us about.

Prosecution rests.

Defense may now offer its rebuttal.

Your response, Dr. Dave?

As always,
Pool Sleuth Slim

Aren't you the guy that needed a map to get out of Albuquerque?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think what you're seeing is the cue being thrown against his open bridge thumb by the rotating CB and then rebounding back to the left. The "tell" is that his stick ends up on top of his bridge hand - if he was steering it, it would still be in the V of his bridge.

Happens to me constantly with my open bridge - in fact I've often thought that it must look like I'm wildly steering my stroke. I'm not. I doubt that Dave is either.

pj
chgo

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6280901&postcount=188

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only one thing to do Dr Dave - gonna have to cut that thumb off. In the interest of science of course.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
No, I did not see that thread. Kinda makes my thread rather redundant and unnecessary. I'll still have to read the whole thread though.

"Aren't you the guy that needed a map to get out of Albuquerque?"

Yes, but having no directional apptitude doesn't preclude someone like me from being detail oriented in other ways. I'm a great editor, for instance. Punctuation, grammatical agreements, sentence structure, typos--recognizing all that stuff comes naturally to me (although I've put plenty of study into it in my younger days).

Amazing you could even remember that thread. I can still get lost in my own neighborhood, but suddenly, I can now read a table. I never really needed that skill before but I joined a league using 8' GC's and a ton of skills I never used or needed have now come into focus. And what's worse is that I always considered my pool playing as a pleasurable past time and now I'm becoming competitive at pool--something I've always dreaded but now find hard to control.

In your defense, I have seen Alburquerque on TV, it does in fact look like a very confusing city to navigate. :thumbup:

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats the big deal every one that sells a product or service will find more to put out there ..thats life and if your not going for it ..shine it on and forget it...play on ..nothing is law from anyone...

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To tell thhe truth I am confused with all the scientific stuff
I would like to see Dr Dave examine this and respond

I did enjoy a good read'
i found your writing interesting,pleasant and polite.

My hat is off to you in that regard,and the way you have handled criticism or correction

Go Slim

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
No, I did not see that thread. Kinda makes my thread rather redundant and unnecessary. I'll still have to read the whole thread though.

"Aren't you the guy that needed a map to get out of Albuquerque?"

Yes, but having no directional apptitude doesn't preclude someone like me from being detail oriented in other ways. I'm a great editor, for instance. Punctuation, grammatical agreements, sentence structure, typos--recognizing all that stuff comes naturally to me (although I've put plenty of study into it in my younger days).

Amazing you could even remember that thread. I can still get lost in my own neighborhood, but suddenly, I can now read a table. I never really needed that skill before but I joined a league using 8' GC's and a ton of skills I never used or needed have now come into focus. And what's worse is that I always considered my pool playing as a pleasurable past time and now I'm becoming competitive at pool--something I've always dreaded but now find hard to control.

Of course, that goes without saying.

"Dr. Dave falls victim to his own to his own experimental bias?"

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'm a great editor, for instance. Punctuation, grammatical agreements, sentence structure, typos--recognizing all that stuff comes naturally to me (although I've put plenty of study into it in my younger days)....

Eschew surplusage. -- Mark Twain

WinnerBreaks

Registered
Dr. Dave falls victim to his own experimental bias?

I didn’t want to add this to the thread that originally sparked me to write this because it would be off-topic but in the thread “Shaft Comparison” by Rico, Dr. Dave wrote:

If you want to know the reasons CF shafts are a growing trend, see:

NV J.12 - How to Select a Pool Cue, Cue Ball Deflection, Carbon Fiber, Revo vs. Cuetec

Enjoy,
Dave

Ok, I’m calling a “Gotcha” on you, Dr. Dave.

First, let me state that I taught myself how to play pool with your “Illustrated Principles” book. My copy has plenty of use on it. Only recently have I begun to investigate your website, however. I’m very detail oriented, so I notice some things that might just be passed over by others on occasion.

I just reviewed your video and the comparisons of LD shafts and the differences of the Cuetec and Revo shafts that you directed us to in your earlier posting in Rico’s thread. I hadn’t seen that one before.

I, Pool Sleuth Slim, immediately noticed something odd in the clip and re-watched the segment of the clip that that I was calling into question. Says I, I says to myself, “I thinks I’s gots somethin’ here”. Or at least so I says to myself, says I.

In order to determine whether my highly refined sleuth instincts were oriented properly, I went to a couple of your other clips to assure myself I was on the correct path (puns intended).

First, I took a look at both you and Bob taking ordinary straight shots in your videos. Every shot I saw had you and Bob demonstrating straight follow-through. No exceptions. I was reminded of what Phil Capelle stresses in his books, “All shots are straight”. I went to your video NV 2.6 – “Steering follow through” here:

https://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/NV2-6.htm

where you say, “Inexperience players often suffer what is called stroke steer . . . It does not have good consequences, unfortunately.”

I bet it doesn’t.

So now, Wannabe Pool Hustlers, Chronic Pool Story Exaggerators, Imaginary Six-Pack Wonders, Pool Cue Pushers and Dedicated Rail Birds, I direct your attention to the video in question:

https://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVJ-12.htm

Pay attention to Dr. Dave’s cue alignment on his test shots starting at 1:58 – 3:47. After stating in the video that his (Dr. Dave’s) goal is to “[keep] the cue parallel to the aiming line” on the shots using deflection, you will notice that the cue steers off center directly in line with the cue ball’s deflection with the most off center steering occurring when shooting with the Player’s cue. Stop the video at 2:59 and examine the shaft alignment with the Player’s cueball deflection alignment. Dr. Dave’s shaft is maybe 30 degrees off center. The shaft’s alignment with the cueball’s deflection is also almost perfect when testing the other shafts. Now watch the “Aim Compensation with Sidespin” demonstration beginning at 3:22. Notice the difference? Dr. Dave’s cue has near perfectly straight follow-through.

So I says to myself, you know, I says, “Listen, the odds of Dr. Dave’s near perfect shaft alignment with the cueball deflection as seen in this demonstration being coincidental or haphazard seems to me practically nil.” So anyways that’s what I says to myself after saying that to myself.

So, after consulting the staff Doctors of Psychoanalysis at the offices of Looney, Tooney, Head, and Shrinker with all my accumulated evidence, we have come to the conclusion that Dr. Dave is indeed unconsciously attempting to steer the cueball in that video in order to affirm the predetermined results of his previous testing of these shafts.

Now, this is not to accuse Dr. Dave of any malicious intent in his demonstration. I don’t question the results. He obviously had already tested these shafts out and was just reaffirming knowledge in this video he had already acquired from previous testing. I find it rather humorous that Dr. Dave in his videotaped shooting demonstration would fall victim to his own experimental bias, even if the results are accurate.

Either that or Dr. Dave is really one of the “inexperienced players using stroke steer” whom his other video informs us about.

Prosecution rests.

Defense may now offer its rebuttal.

Your response, Dr. Dave?

As always,
Pool Sleuth Slim

Calm down....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only read through bits of the original thread regarding Dr Dave’s crooked stroke, so this might have been covered:

Dr Dave and others say the crooked stroke was the result of the CB pushing back on the stick in a sideways direction, and then the stick bouncing around in the bridge hand. If that is true, then is there no such thing as a “straight stroke” from the time the forward swing starts until the time the tip hits the table several inches past the CB (or whatever is the finish position for the shot at hand) when applying side spin to the CB?