To just cinch the shot...

cluelesscuer

For a relatively easy straight in or slight angled shot, is there a general rule of thumb, in terms of spin on the vertical access and/or cue ball speed, to better cinch the shot (ie, shots on the 8 ball)?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a relatively easy straight in or slight angled shot, is there a general rule of thumb, in terms of spin on the vertical access and/or cue ball speed, to better cinch the shot (ie, shots on the 8 ball)?

I think very little of both speed and spin.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I think very little of both speed and spin.

Yeah, if it's nearly straight and no scratch to think about, I use straight top and gentle speed.

If it's dead straight and there's a chance of following the CB in the pocket, I'll hit a stop shot, no english at all, and not any harder than I need to to stop the ball.

If there's more angle, I hit a little firmer with a little low outside english, assuming there's no scratch going that way. That's my most accurate shot, and with the right amount of english it's skid-proof.

-Andrew

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's nearly straight in then I'll aim to shoot a stop shot or slight draw.

If it's slightly straight then I'll use a rolling CB (unless I need to do something fancy for next ball position).

and if it's a long straight in shot then I'll change my grip from two fingers to one finger and shoot it - I learned this as a simple trick to make long shots more easily.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i try to not change my stroke too much on a cinch shot...if you start thinking about things like (i need to hit this easy, i need to make sure i dont scratch) next thing you know all your mechanics went out the window and you misscue or something. Straight in i hit them with a tad bit of draw and slightly below medium speed, and be sure to stay down on the shot.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Physics-wise, you want it firm enough to minimize collision induced throw
(a slow-rolled ball causes shots to undercut a hair).
Excessive speed can reduce your accuracy too, so you want "medium" speed.

Also, on paper, all shots are easier if you avoid sidespin, draw, etc.

But in practice, if you want to just make the ball, your best bet is to shoot the ball
with the speed and english you're fond of using.

In other words, if you almost never shoot medium-soft and you almost
never use just plain center ball, suddenly switching to medium speed, center ball
will NOT help you cinch the shot, because you will be a little uncomfortable.

You need to hit it in the way that makes you most comfortable, even if that's
firm with low outside or whatever.

Later on, you might want to look at "why am I scared of center ball but love
using low outside?" and maybe fix that issue. But that's something to worry about
AFTER you've cinched the ball, if you really care about making it.