The end of my revo

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So before everyone goes crazy and flaming me if you love your revo that’s great! I’ve said on many posts when asked what is the best cue that’s a question with no answer and I always feel the members that start giving names of cues are the one’s that really don’t understand the game. You can certainly have a good discussion about what cue holds it’s value the best or cue maker who has the tightest inlays etc but playability is different to different people. One man’s magic wand is another mans dead tree branch... so here goes

I play with the 12.9 on a road line butt. A few nights a go at home playing some sets against the ghost I had a shot where I come down hard with a stun shot. The carbon fiber right in the middle of my revo shattered. I was stunned . It was a shot in 30 years playing with maple shafts I’ve shot 1000s of times and would never think anything of it. I have been playing with this shaft I think a year or more so emmediatly I was thinking I”m screwed. I can’t get another one Right a way (hard to find) and honestly I don’t think I want one. I’m fortunate that $500 isn’t that big a deal to me but I’m not paying it for something that just exploded like that. I know predator won’t replace it because I had a non predator rep put a tip on it because the victory tip it came with was terrible so the warranty is out the window and lets face it we all know predator isn’t the best at standing up to there warranty.

So the next time I played I got out my old 314/2 shaft with a soft tip that I can’t even remember what it is on it lol I was thinking all day at work that it was going to be a tough transition and I’m going to have to go through probobly days of playing average to poor until I get used to it. As I was shooting some warm up shots I thought that’s silly. How many matches and tournaments have I won playing with this shaft. 30 years of knowledge and stroke from hours and hours of practice doesn’t go a way because my carbon fiber shaft I only spent a year with is gone. It turns out I had no issues... none. I forgot how good a wood shaft felt. I liked how stiff the revo was but really forgot how little feel you get. It turns out it was dead to me and I just forgot how much in the last year of playing with the revo. I was running out and playing position just as good as I have been. Honestly I felt my position especially draw was easier simpley because I was getting more feed back from the shaft.

So no I won’t be buying another revo. Actually I’m a little irritated with predator right now and am looking at maybe getting a Mezz sneaky since I’ve heard so many good things about them. Just to reiterate IF YOU LOVE YOUR REVO THAT’S GREAT!! I’m not putting anyone who loves it down. If it feels good to you and gives you confidence and your playing great with it fantastic! To each his own but I’m back with my maple shaft and don’t see me going back anytime soon.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see nothing wrong with a person changing their mind, so if you're feeling good about switching back to wood, why wouldn't you? Good luck with 314-2, it's one of my favorite shafts of all time. Can be whippy at times, especially on long shots, but sometimes that's not a bad thing. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Btw, is there any chance you could post an image of your shattered Revo? :confused: It's the first I'm hearing about Revos breaking apart. If it's done through no fault of your own I'd say it's a pretty big thing, especially since part of the appeal (and advertising, I guess) of Revos is that they're supposed to "last you a lifetime".

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Levo

A friend of mine was putting a tip on shaft and managed to mark up his shaft
(longstory) but since he's a body man, he decided to just paint the shaft black. I play
some One Pocket with him from time to time and we talked about what he did and
about everytime I see him he's telling me what he's done to the shaft. His name is Lee.
His shaft is the Levo!. Anyway he's done such a good job using automotive black paint
and clear coat that he wouldn't play with anything else. The shaft is slick as glass and
plays good so if you like the black shaft....well!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see nothing wrong with a person changing their mind, so if you're feeling good about switching back to wood, why wouldn't you? Good luck with 314-2, it's one of my favorite shafts of all time. Can be whippy at times, especially on long shots, but sometimes that's not a bad thing. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Btw, is there any chance you could post an image of your shattered Revo? :confused: It's the first I'm hearing about Revos breaking apart. If it's done through no fault of your own I'd say it's a pretty big thing, especially since part of the appeal (and advertising, I guess) of Revos is that they're supposed to "last you a lifetime".

Maybe once I get it out of the case I stuck it in.. right now I don’t want to see it for a long time. I’m not the first person this has happened to but my story really wasn’t supposed to put revo’s down .. shit happens.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
A friend of mine was putting a tip on shaft and managed to mark up his shaft
(longstory) but since he's a body man, he decided to just paint the shaft black. I play
some One Pocket with him from time to time and we talked about what he did and
about everytime I see him he's telling me what he's done to the shaft. His name is Lee.
His shaft is the Levo!. Anyway he's done such a good job using automotive black paint
and clear coat that he wouldn't play with anything else. The shaft is slick as glass and
plays good so if you like the black shaft....well!

I got an eyeless helicopter rod I’ll run out with....smooth as glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So before everyone goes crazy and flaming me if you love your revo that’s great! I’ve said on many posts when asked what is the best cue that’s a question with no answer and I always feel the members that start giving names of cues are the one’s that really don’t understand the game. You can certainly have a good discussion about what cue holds it’s value the best or cue maker who has the tightest inlays etc but playability is different to different people. One man’s magic wand is another mans dead tree branch... so here goes

I play with the 12.9 on a road line butt. A few nights a go at home playing some sets against the ghost I had a shot where I come down hard with a stun shot. The carbon fiber right in the middle of my revo shattered. I was stunned . It was a shot in 30 years playing with maple shafts I’ve shot 1000s of times and would never think anything of it. I have been playing with this shaft I think a year or more so emmediatly I was thinking I”m screwed. I can’t get another one Right a way (hard to find) and honestly I don’t think I want one. I’m fortunate that $500 isn’t that big a deal to me but I’m not paying it for something that just exploded like that. I know predator won’t replace it because I had a non predator rep put a tip on it because the victory tip it came with was terrible so the warranty is out the window and lets face it we all know predator isn’t the best at standing up to there warranty.

So the next time I played I got out my old 314/2 shaft with a soft tip that I can’t even remember what it is on it lol I was thinking all day at work that it was going to be a tough transition and I’m going to have to go through probobly days of playing average to poor until I get used to it. As I was shooting some warm up shots I thought that’s silly. How many matches and tournaments have I won playing with this shaft. 30 years of knowledge and stroke from hours and hours of practice doesn’t go a way because my carbon fiber shaft I only spent a year with is gone. It turns out I had no issues... none. I forgot how good a wood shaft felt. I liked how stiff the revo was but really forgot how little feel you get. It turns out it was dead to me and I just forgot how much in the last year of playing with the revo. I was running out and playing position just as good as I have been. Honestly I felt my position especially draw was easier simpley because I was getting more feed back from the shaft.

So no I won’t be buying another revo. Actually I’m a little irritated with predator right now and am looking at maybe getting a Mezz sneaky since I’ve heard so many good things about them. Just to reiterate IF YOU LOVE YOUR REVO THAT’S GREAT!! I’m not putting anyone who loves it down. If it feels good to you and gives you confidence and your playing great with it fantastic! To each his own but I’m back with my maple shaft and don’t see me going back anytime soon.
Your post reads similar to mine... when I switched back to a normal squirt shaft after trying on a 314 for a year and a half.

Freddie <~~~ not selling any shafts

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Your entire post is excellent, but I must say that I have always wholeheartedly agreed with your first paragraph. It just never made sense on this or any other forum to come on here and ask members "what is the best_________"? if they are seeking advice. For one, you're going to get a plethora of different answers, and secondly, as you said, people who give answers to these questions don't really have a clue what exactly the person is looking for in a product. I've been guilty of advice as well on products, but never again. Trial and error/demo testing is really the only way to get to the truth, not from someone's word-of-mouth.

Sorry you came out on the bad side with your Revo. I still use maple myself and do not foresee any reason to ever change. Progress is a good thing, just not always a necessary thing.

Maniac

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really cant believe predator wont replace the shaft if you contact them. Thats just horrible customer service.

Pictures please.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always found Predator / Predator dealers will stand behind their cues with their warranty, as long as an authorized Predator dealer / repairman has worked on your cue, including even a simple re-tip job. It does seem strange a re-tip job could void the warranty on the shaft, but I assume you've already looked in to this and you've been told this is indeed the case regarding your shattered shaft, by someone at Predator?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I was in the gallery one day watching Irving Crane who had just switched over to a Revo shaft and he was shooting everyone's livers out, undoubtedly due to this . . . .

Oh sorry, it was someone else . . . :eek:

best,
brian kc

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran into a similar situation with a player in our league who I sold a cue to. Like yourself, I am not
here to run down a company or their products as for the most part, it's wood and wood happens.
This player I sold the cue to is like a compulsive cleaner and organizer, drives a person nuts, yes, in a good way, but whoa.

His shaft (not a revo) blew apart on the shaft collar and besides being one of the funniest darn things a bunch of us ever saw
as his facial expression was purely priceless and of course, combined with his very careful demeanor of never wanting a scratch
or blemish or imperfection on anything he owns, it had me doubled over in laughter.

And of course, to hear his explanation of how he didn't do anything out of the norm and on and on, it was just awesome.

However,

I did get that company to supply him with a new shaft even though, they mentioned that maybe the
shaft was not tight on the butt end. I used a bk-3 from Predator and that thing would always loosen up.
Not sure if the revo shafts do the same??

Hope you can get it replaced, worth a shot, good luck and a team mate of mine told me that
he went to a 314-2 on his old Joss Cue and he thinks the 314-2 is the best Predator shaft
they ever made. His shooting certainly can't be argued with, he is a MVP

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only cue advice I ever give is to new league players in the Apa who ask me what is a good cue to get . I always feel they don’t need to spend a lot of money so I always point them in the direction of a Lucasi, players or even a McDermott but to play with them first and see if they like where they hit. I feel those cues give you a nice player for a beginner without spending a lot of cash.

Your entire post is excellent, but I must say that I have always wholeheartedly agreed with your first paragraph. It just never made sense on this or any other forum to come on here and ask members "what is the best_________"? if they are seeking advice. For one, you're going to get a plethora of different answers, and secondly, as you said, people who give answers to these questions don't really have a clue what exactly the person is looking for in a product. I've been guilty of advice as well on products, but never again. Trial and error/demo testing is really the only way to get to the truth, not from someone's word-of-mouth.

Sorry you came out on the bad side with your Revo. I still use maple myself and do not foresee any reason to ever change. Progress is a good thing, just not always a necessary thing.

Maniac

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really cant believe predator wont replace the shaft if you contact them. Thats just horrible customer service.

Pictures please.

Honestly I haven’t contacted them yet but from past experiences from members and friends I don’t expect anything. I modified the cue and they are a big company now that doesn’t give that personal touch. It’s all a numbers game and that’s fine being in retail myself I know how people can be. I have people trying to get over on the company I work for every day. People who I feel are normally honest but when dealing with a large company they don’t feel it’s stealing.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Modified, just the tip? How about the pad under the tip.
Pictures of shattered shaft please.

Last edited:

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is from Predator's web page.

REVO 12.4 & 12.9 PLAYING SHAFT TIP REPLACEMENT. REVO Carbon composite shafts have no ferrule. The front end is made up of the Predator V-TEK vault plate, red V-TEK Tip Silencer, and eight-layer Victory Tip. Because the shaft cannot be sanded, replacing the tip, and/or the tip silencer should only be done by an authorized Predator Repair Center equipped with the proper tools to protect your REVO shaft. In the event that you choose to replace the tip on your shaft through a non-authorized cue technician, the red V-TEK Tip-Silencer must remain at least .010” (0.25mm) thick to maintain the shaft’s integrity. Any reduction in the tip-silencer below .010” (0.25mm) will void the shaft’s limited-lifetime warranty and compromise its performance.

The last 2 sentences allows for a non authorized dealer tip replacement.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
…..

I play with the 12.9 on a road line butt. A few nights a go at home playing some sets against the ghost I had a shot where I come down hard with a stun shot. The carbon fiber right in the middle of my revo shattered.....

In my opinion, there simply had to be some damage (scoring/crack/abuse) to the carbon fiber composite for this to happen.
There is a data point missing... sounds good but this just doesn't happen

My opinion is based on 18 months of power breaking with my 12.4 Revo, it has a Samsara jump/break tip and hits like a beast.
I use the 12.4 because I didn't care for the size of the BK Rush shaft.
I can't see a stun shot (regardless of power) creating more stress than a break considering my usage is home practice, 3 leagues a week, and weekend tournaments.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, there simply had to be some damage (scoring/crack/abuse) to the carbon fiber composite for this to happen.
There is a data point missing... sounds good but this just doesn't happen

My opinion is based on 18 months of power breaking with my 12.4 Revo, it has a Samsara jump/break tip and hits like a beast.
I use the 12.4 because I didn't care for the size of the BK Rush shaft.
I can't see a stun shot (regardless of power) creating more stress than a break considering my usage is home practice, 3 leagues a week, and weekend tournaments.

Who knows. Maybe something happened in the production process. Shit happens. It’s not what my post is really about. I still play predator. I just relized I prefer the hit of my 314/2.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I haven’t contacted them yet but from past experiences from members and friends I don’t expect anything. I modified the cue and they are a big company now that doesn’t give that personal touch. It’s all a numbers game and that’s fine being in retail myself I know how people can be. I have people trying to get over on the company I work for every day. People who I feel are normally honest but when dealing with a large company they don’t feel it’s stealing.

Could you please post photos of the damage?
I'm sure Predator would be more than curious as to find out what happened. Maybe a flaw in a batch...I know they have serial numbers....you might be surprised, get the right person on the right day.

Good luck and sorry about the misfortune.