Classless

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A handshake? That makes a professional? That defines it?

Actually, yes. Sportsmanship defines being a professional, and a handshake is just a about the bare minimum. If not that, then what?

If the US wants to be the bad boys of pool, that’s fine, plenty of great sports teams have done it. But you can’t both lose constantly and be the bad boys - that’s just a joke.

And celebrating is not poor sportsmanship. That’s false equivalence and excuse-making.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
He was out of line and this ain't the first time!

But, nothing done then and probably won't be done now!

Kd

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
as soon as he potted the winning 9b, Filler went over to his side and had a high five celebration with his team mates, not good etiquette.

when he finally went looking for Dennis to shake his hand, Dennis wasn't interested.

I don't blame him.

best,
brian kc

I don't get it.

Every major sport there is, players celebrate with their teammates, then line up and shake hands then go back to celebrating.

People must be missing something.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I don't get it.

Every major sport there is, players celebrate with their teammates, then line up and shake hands then go back to celebrating.

Missing the great feeling of having the BEST DAY EVER FOR POOL ON TV.

I thought it was all just great!

Jeff Livingston

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We wonder why USA has trouble in the cup. Ill chalk any loss up as karma from Dennis Hatch spineless coward classless move. Shake the damn hand youre a professional.

Exactly, which is why Filler's neglect of a handshake and instead going over to his bench hooting and hollaring was a bad move. He should have first went to shake Dennis's hand, then go celebrate with his team. He made the initial sportsmanship error. Dennis had every right to feel disrespected, but he should have been the bigger person and shook Filler's hand anyway.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it.

+1 Exactly. Celebrating before handshake is common, easy to be lost in the euphoria of the win.
Still Hatch should handshake.
Having said that Filler is a brat and he has been showboating in previous tourneys US Open, China Open etc. Shows a lack of manners etiquette. Someone said he is only 20. All the new breed of young players (some younger than him) have more class and manners than him. His MC elder teammates should really tell him to behave and show respect at the table. About time the players tell him to toe the line

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Exactly, which is why Filler's neglect of a handshake and instead going over to his bench hooting and hollaring was a bad move. He should have first went to shake Dennis's hand, then go celebrate with his team. He made the initial sportsmanship error. Dennis had every right to feel disrespected, but he should have been the bigger person and shook Filler's hand anyway.

This is pretty much the way I see it. Josh Filler has an extensive history of showing disrespect to the game and his opponents with his celebrations. They are often way too dramatic and excessive, too loud and long, are timed badly, and happen too frequently. There is little doubt that he is an immature arrogant pr!ck who lacks class and consideration or respect for others. While Filler was a bit out of line with the timing and duration of his celebration this time too (although it wasn't nearly as bad as it often is), it wasn't enough to warrant Dennis refusing to shake his hand. It seemed to me that Dennis did that mostly because he was pissed off about that last roll that Filler got and about losing the match and was just being a bad sport and showing his ass over it, something he has a history for as well (I did miss the first part of the match so I also could have missed some of Josh's behavior that ultimately warranted the refusal to shake hands).

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it looked different on TV but IMO what really put a burr straight up Hatch’s keester was when his Euro opponent, with like three or so stop and shoot shots left on the table to cinch the match — went to the chair, sat down, took a swig of water, and then returned to the table.

Frankly, given that type of situation, I don’t blame Hatch one bit.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah... I don't care ... I'm a huge Hatch fan... guy has HEART!!

Since when do the Euro's care about etiquette.... their fans are
The MOST disrespectful of the opposing players by FAR...

I'll be there in a couple days... hopefully we're still in it... so I can
Cheer them on!!!

Td

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Perhaps it looked different on TV but IMO what really put a burr straight up Hatch’s keester was when his Euro opponent, with like three or so stop and shoot shots left on the table to cinch the match — went to the chair, sat down, took a swig of water, and then returned to the table.

Frankly, given that type of situation, I don’t blame Hatch one bit.

Lou FigueroA

Yep, that was a bit much imho !!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler is a bit disrespectful. The excessive cheering after each rack win is a bit much. He was doing that shit after most wins at the US Open while other matches were still going on. Overheard a few other players express their displeasure with this.

Plus with him celebrating with his team instead of shaking Dennis' hand, that can be seen as disrespectful as well.

Is all this enough for Dennis to blow him off, I don't know. I would have still shaken his hand personally, but I will never be in the situation they are in. Filler is still very young and very talented. Hopefully as his game gets better and can also get a more level head.

Just my opinion.

I recently watched the final of the China open, when filler won, he literally dropped on his back with his arms and legs kicking in the air. It was really uncomfortable even though I understood the emotion and moment he was experiencing.

But if he continues this then it will seem forced, not genuine, and smug...Maybe even a bit of a shark move (when done during the match, not the end)

I wasn't able to watch the match today but from the sounds of it, after reading this thread, I absolutely can see Filler doing this.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I recently watched the final of the China open, when filler won, he literally dropped on his back with his arms and legs kicking in the air. It was really uncomfortable even though I understood the emotion and moment he was experiencing.

But if he continues this then it will seem forced, not genuine, and smug...Maybe even a bit of a shark move (when done during the match, not the end)

I wasn't able to watch the match today but from the sounds of it, after reading this thread, I absolutely can see Filler doing this.

Can you imagine playing a set with someone that is celebrating after each win, not after each set, but every single win during the set? Yeah, that would get old real fuggin fast.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
If it gets hot in the EURO kitchen RS & JS will be tough as nails, Da will be steady and VDB will be beatable leaving FILLER as somewhat of a wildcard. Perhaps HATCH on his own or at the coach's direction is playing mind games with the pup.

BRILLIANT, if that's the case, plenty of time after the exhibition to throw a few back a few and hug.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Can you imagine playing a set with someone that is celebrating after each win, not after each set, but every single win during the set? Yeah, that would get old real fuggin fast.

That would get them blacklisted. If I'm gonna donate... it's not going to be to someone like that.

morris

Registered
Complete disrespect from Filler! Very unprofessional got what he deserved!

Last edited:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
You should read hatchs Facebook wall for the details. Immature pos if you ask.anybody. I don't blame Dennis.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I’m going say this and that’s it.
Filler was acting like an ass waking around the table sticking his tongue out then sits to drink water when he’s straight in on the 9 then doesn’t shake my hand and had to be dragged over by his captain to shake. At that point I was pissed SORRY. I felt like I was disrespected. I WILL APOLOGIZE TO FILLER. END OF STORY!!!