Classless

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take your points but if you view what he did in the context of his general behavior and demeanor, it was just an extreme instance of him behaving poorly.

Lou Figueroa

Or, it was a sign of maturity by taking a few seconds to calm down instead of shooting while nervous and dogging it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sincerity is a value each player judges for himself.

Next time, Dennis will be at a disadvantage and so will team usa!

He now says on f/b that he'll apologize, so that means what? He's on the losing side of the argument, that's what. That loss (not the apology) will harm his chances and the team's.

It wasn't about him so much as it is about the team (something Europe apparently understands better than the US players) and the game. Both took a hit yesterday, imho.

But all of this IS good for ratings, so maybe the game got a boost from this?

I can hardly wait for round 2 today.

Jeff Livingston

Well, I don’t know about the losing side of the argument thing, given he’s already made his point.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, it was a sign of maturity by taking a few seconds to calm down instead of shooting while nervous and dogging it.

As I’ve said repeatedly, that’s not how it appeared to me. IOWs, it’s only my opinion. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Either way its generated 5 pages on this thread alone, which shows why the Mosconi Cup is so successful compared to other pool events :)

Clearly opinion is divided, its a shame the interviewer didn't ask Filler after the match, that would have been a good opportunity!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
We'll never know who's right until Earl jumps in.

:yes::rotflmao::yeah:

Jeff Livingston

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either way its generated 5 pages on this thread alone, which shows why the Mosconi Cup is so successful compared to other pool events :)

Clearly opinion is divided, its a shame the interviewer didn't ask Filler after the match, that would have been a good opportunity!

Or could be we’re just bored and have little else to talk about nowadays.

Best tip, anyone?

Lou Figueroa

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's generated 5 pages because a bunch of sore losers are trying to blame the winner for Hatch not being able to get the job done. Hatch lost, get over it. it's not like it was a big surprise.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It's generated 5 pages because a bunch of sore losers are trying to blame the winner for Hatch not being able to get the job done. Hatch lost, get over it. it's not like it was a big surprise.

I heard they're gonna blame it on the russians.

Jeff Livingston

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or could be we’re just bored and have little else to talk about nowadays.

Best tip, anyone?

Lou Figueroa

I heard they're gonna blame it on the russians.

Jeff Livingston

All of the above ;-)

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have intentionally not read these pages. But I have to say your accusations sounds ridiculous.

Nice of you to admit that you have no knowledge of the subject, but yet thought we would think your opinion to be of some value. They call that talking out of your ass.` :rolleyes:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not watch the match so going off of the comments of those that did. If this was a gamblin match at some dark lot pool room anywhere USA, shaking hands is not required. Would it be a " classy" thing to do? Yes, but if it didn't happen then no big deal. Now as to the antics of Filler, that very well may get you cracked over the head with a cue or worse. That's not an acceptable behavior in ANY venue.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched several MCs in person and played my fair share of tournaments and watching Filler sit in the chair and swig water before administering the coupe de grace crossed a line for me.

I saw that differently. In fact I was kind of impressed by it and imagined it might have had a wise Marcus Chamat written all over it.

Keep in mind that all Hatch did was to turn and refuse to shake his hand.

Wow Lou.... You defending this surprises me.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that differently. In fact I was kind of impressed by it and imagined it might have had a wise Marcus Chamat written all over it.

Wow Lou.... You defending this surprises me.

Mike, I think, if you feel a player crosses a certain line, you are well within your rights to decline to shake their hand. That, to me, shows more class and character than just blindly shaking hands. It is signaling that you feel your opponent stooped to a level you will not endorse. And that “line” is going to be different for every player and the different circumstances involved.

Personally, I have never refused to shake an opponent’s hand. But I can see it happening if I felt sufficiently offended by what was done and how.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Handshakes -Long and short of it

Talking about handshakes, actually the time from final 9 ball dropping to Filler ready to handshake Hatch was less than 10 seconds https://youtu.be/QqFqKkHxr7A?t=1925

There have been longer times between final 9 ball and the handshake
2015 Match 14 Niels v Shane (24 seconds) https://youtu.be/JGW7kG17U88?t=2350
2015 Championship point-Albin v Skyler (1 minute) https://youtu.be/o7kjBuWGYhI?t=3500

And I am not sure if this reluctant handshake counted as a handshake :grin:
2012 Championship point- Nick Van Den Berg v Mike Dechaine https://youtu.be/YadUQ6_XugY?t=2998

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It has nothing to do with being a professional...It has to do with the character of a person...You don't have to shake hands because your a professional, but because you have character and show it...
I play in a BCA league..I am not a professional..There are several jerks in the league, but I always shake their hand. How does not shaking their hand prove anything?

In MMA the winning fighter or losing fighter always hug and show respect...Thats character.....Seems to be lacking with Dennis...

I dunno, I think it's a highly personal thing.

For me it's most important that I show respect to my opponent first. To me that means
before I celebrate, before I yell and scream or jump up and down I thank them for the match
and congratulate them for a match well played. After that I can celebrate with my team mates.

In the very least I expect mutual acknowledgement and respect from my opponent should I lose,
but I feel the acknowledgementand mutual respect should come first, celebration second.

Not everyone thinks that. If I lose I may wait a few seconds, but if the celebration goes long
I also will walk away, a hand shake after the fact means little so I won't do it, but again,
that's just me.

My standard for myself I guess is fairly high, it's always acknowledgement / respect first,
celebration second - but act like you've been there before.

I think Hatch, like any competitor, isn't going to sit still for the other teams celebration
and doesn't particularly want to be there for it, I wouldn't.

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Whether or not this Filler kid is a total douche or not may never be known...but the most important thing that no one has mentioned yet is what kind of cue does he play with and does he use an aiming system. These are questions we all must know:confused:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched several MCs in person and played my fair share of tournaments and watching Filler sit in the chair and swig water before administering the coupe de grace crossed a line for me.

Keep in mind that all Hatch did was to turn and refuse to shake his hand. IMO he was signalling that Filler’s poor sportsmanship didn’t deserve a handshake, which is what the handshake at the end of a match is all about.

At that point in the proceedings, it had nothing to do with nerves, he was just being a, well, you know... Just how I saw it play out.

Lou Figueroa
I thought it was interesting that Chamat grabbed Filler rather quickly and accompanied him over to Hatch to at least attempt to shake hands with Hatch, even though Hatch had already left the playing area. I'm guessing Chamat was not exactly proud of his young player that he chose to come celebrate the win with his teammates before shaking Hatch's hand - which he should have done first.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking about handshakes, actually the time from final 9 ball dropping to Filler ready to handshake Hatch was less than 10 seconds https://youtu.be/QqFqKkHxr7A?t=1925

There have been longer times between final 9 ball and the handshake
2015 Match 14 Niels v Shane (24 seconds) https://youtu.be/JGW7kG17U88?t=2350
2015 Championship point-Albin v Skyler (1 minute) https://youtu.be/o7kjBuWGYhI?t=3500

And I am not sure if this reluctant handshake counted as a handshake :grin:
2012 Championship point- Nick Van Den Berg v Mike Dechaine https://youtu.be/YadUQ6_XugY?t=2998

These are good points but the Hatch sympathizers will surely find a way to discredit it.

"Oh, it was for the Mosconi cup win so it's different."
"Oh, they're all Europeans."
"Oh, well.. it was a golden break so it's special."

But Shane, being a classy person, understands the celebration and knows the handshake is coming.

I see nothing wrong with what Filler did. He was overly excited. Almost smacked Nigel with his cue as he whipped around by accident. He turned around almost immediately to shake Hatch's hand but he was already gone. Then went over again and was still snubbed.

This is all on Hatch.

And as for Hatch whining about the water thing... Seriously? Filler did the best possible thing he could have. Relax, gain your composure, shoot the rest of your balls. Any coach would've given his player that exact advice, but Filler knew enough to do it on his own.

He's just deflecting because he lost.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was interesting that Chamat grabbed Filler rather quickly and accompanied him over to Hatch to at least attempt to shake hands with Hatch, even though Hatch had already left the playing area. I'm guessing Chamat was not exactly proud of his young player that he chose to come celebrate the win with his teammates before shaking Hatch's hand - which he should have done first.

The way I read that situation was that Filler turned around to shake Dennis's hand but he was already gone. So he gave the confused face and hand flip like, "Uhh.. what should I do now?"

Then Marcus was like, "No, no.. We should go over and catch him. We'll intercept him to make sure he knows you mean well."

Then snubbed again.