***CNC Shaft/Butt Turning*** CueCut Licensed Version For Sale

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
El bumpo.

If anyone has questions or needs help, send me email or give me a call.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Quick question Kelly,

Do you have any new features or add'ons you are working on for a new version? Just curious bud, that's all.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not currently working on any CueCut additions. The current version posted on the website is 1.0.5.

In 1.0.5 I added a "repeat back to cut a 2nd stock" function to the straight dowel page. This was requested by a user who uses a rather slow feed rate as a way to save on jogging time. 1.0.5 also has an inch scale added to the shaft taper design screen. I got tired of trying to guess which data point I was looking at in the graph.

I have considered adding a function to vary the spinner/stepper speed for those who use the S command (Unique machines use this I think) based on the diameter of the stock. Ideally, the perfect rpm changes as the diameter of the stock changes, but I don't know how many CueCut users are spinning the stock with the S command via a stepper and I don't know if it would make a significant difference. It might take too much trial an error for each user to figure out the perfect stepper ratio per inch of stock diameter for it to be worth adding.

Along the same lines, I have considered adding the same functionality to the feed rate. If the feed rate was variable based on the stock diameter (user would enter a max and a min feed rate), the feed rate would be slowest at the tip end while cutting a shaft and then gradually increase as the diameter of the shaft increases during the cut. For example, feed rate at the tip end might be 10 ipm but finish at 20 ipm at the joint end, and would gradually increase between the two ends during the cut.

Other than those thoughts, no planned additions to CueCut.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Guys,

Anybody tapering with a CNC based machine needs this software. It does speed up the process from shaft tapering to dowels and handles. Kelly is super helpful and will help you overcome the learning curve.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New update and new video posted that helps with creating wrap groove tapers.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
If you value your time, then this truly is a godsend. Without thinking, I programmed the butt portion to cut towards the small end. When I tore out a point I realized how stupid that was.

It took about 5 mins to rip out 10 new tapers. Once it's dialed in it's extremely repeatable....

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
If you value your time, then this truly is a godsend. Without thinking, I programmed the butt portion to cut towards the small end. When I tore out a point I realized how stupid that was.

It took about 5 mins to rip out 10 new tapers. Once it's dialed in it's extremely repeatable....

You are absolutely on the money and Kelly is a pleasure to deal with.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks fellows. I have had more response to my CNC programs than I would have hoped when I first started writing CueCut. The best part about it has been leaving the taper bars behind.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not currently working on any CueCut additions. The current version posted on the website is 1.0.5.

In 1.0.5 I added a "repeat back to cut a 2nd stock" function to the straight dowel page. This was requested by a user who uses a rather slow feed rate as a way to save on jogging time. 1.0.5 also has an inch scale added to the shaft taper design screen. I got tired of trying to guess which data point I was looking at in the graph.

I have considered adding a function to vary the spinner/stepper speed for those who use the S command (Unique machines use this I think) based on the diameter of the stock. Ideally, the perfect rpm changes as the diameter of the stock changes, but I don't know how many CueCut users are spinning the stock with the S command via a stepper and I don't know if it would make a significant difference. It might take too much trial an error for each user to figure out the perfect stepper ratio per inch of stock diameter for it to be worth adding.

Along the same lines, I have considered adding the same functionality to the feed rate. If the feed rate was variable based on the stock diameter (user would enter a max and a min feed rate), the feed rate would be slowest at the tip end while cutting a shaft and then gradually increase as the diameter of the shaft increases during the cut. For example, feed rate at the tip end might be 10 ipm but finish at 20 ipm at the joint end, and would gradually increase between the two ends during the cut.

Other than those thoughts, no planned additions to CueCut.

looks like a pretty useful system you have here Kelly. I noticed something in this post though that stood out refering to variable speeds and variable feedrates. I don't know how many use the plc type motors to control spindles so it may be a mute point. In the real CNC lathe world the common method is to program a given Surface Feet per Minute, instead of an RPM, and the feedrate is programmed in inches per revolution, rather than inches per minute. So as the diameter increases, the rpms actually gets slower, not faster, and the chip load remains constant regardless of diameter. In this way the surface finish also remains constant. This is very effective in single point turning applications. Again, pretty neat stuff you have though.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks like a pretty useful system you have here Kelly. I noticed something in this post though that stood out refering to variable speeds and variable feedrates. I don't know how many use the plc type motors to control spindles so it may be a mute point. In the real CNC lathe world the common method is to program a given Surface Feet per Minute, instead of an RPM, and the feedrate is programmed in inches per revolution, rather than inches per minute. So as the diameter increases, the rpms actually gets slower, not faster, and the chip load remains constant regardless of diameter. In this way the surface finish also remains constant. This is very effective in single point turning applications. Again, pretty neat stuff you have though.

The stock rotation is independent of my program. Most guys are setting up an independent spinner, such as a sherline or other lightweight headstock/rail/tailstock, on a cnc router, or disconnecting one belt and connecting another one that goes to a VS motor. I considered adding an option to vary the feed rate by diameter of the stock that is being cut, but without control or knowledge of the stock RPM I don't think it would be very useful. I am using a Sherline for my spinner. My actual 4th axis uses a positioning table, not a fast turner, so I couldn't use it even if I added it to the program.

Thanks for your post. I understand about a slower feed rate for larger diameters to maintain a consistent surface feed per minute. When I wrote my post I was thinking only about saving time. I can get a clean cut on a 13 mm shaft at 13 IPM. If I'm cutting a shaft to say .625 a the tip end I can get a clean cut at 20+ IPM. Butt size i have cut as high as 35. I rarely change stock RPM or router speed, so I'm definitely not utilizing any chip load equation.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stock rotation is independent of my program. Most guys are setting up an independent spinner, such as a sherline or other lightweight headstock/rail/tailstock, on a cnc router, or disconnecting one belt and connecting another one that goes to a VS motor. I considered adding an option to vary the feed rate by diameter of the stock that is being cut, but without control or knowledge of the stock RPM I don't think it would be very useful. I am using a Sherline for my spinner. My actual 4th axis uses a positioning table, not a fast turner, so I couldn't use it even if I added it to the program.

Thanks for your post. I understand about a slower feed rate for larger diameters to maintain a consistent surface feed per minute. When I wrote my post I was thinking only about saving time. I can get a clean cut on a 13 mm shaft at 13 IPM. If I'm cutting a shaft to say .625 a the tip end I can get a clean cut at 20+ IPM. Butt size i have cut as high as 35. I rarely change stock RPM or router speed, so I'm definitely not utilizing any chip load equation.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump. New update posted and email sent out to purchasers.

Kelly, I have not received the email yet.

To all those who have not purchased this program, you are missing out on a great addition to your cuemaking procedures.

I am still learning but Bob Dzuricky has You Tube videos on using Kelly's program. Watch and then purchase Kelly's program if you have not done so already.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kelly, I have not received the email yet.

To all those who have not purchased this program, you are missing out on a great addition to your cuemaking procedures.

I am still learning but Bob Dzuricky has You Tube videos on using Kelly's program. Watch and then purchase Kelly's program if you have not done so already.

Can you message me your email address? Maybe I have an old one on file. Or, maybe it went to your trash/spam folder (someone else reported that) due to the use of bcc addresses.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Got my software updated. Thanks Kelly once again for you attention and care to detail. It is also awesome that you listen to our feedback and few things on our wish list :)