14.1 high runs... be honest

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
78 balls on a 9ft Brunswick with 4 3/8" pockets. It was about 6 or 7 years ago. I hit in the 50's a few times back then too. But my straight pool buddy moved to Florida and no one else around here was playing the game. Recently there's been a surge in 14.1 here at the local poolhall. I've played a couple of quick games to 50, one to 100, all within the last couple of weeks, and my high run was 23. It's definitely a game that requires practice and plenty of focus.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played one yr of it 38 in a match , practice 49 Rick my friend owner of big Daddy's sharked me on my 50 ball true story, 4 or 5 in the 40's also practice during the same yr

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Oxymoron

I'm asking because of the "EXPERTS" that keep taking shots at the 14.1 event. ME: 37 balls. I'm FAR from a player at 14.1 but i like it and appreciate the skill needed.

While talkin' tooooooooooo a bunch of pool players, one says, ''be honest''. That's like saying ''I got a sure bet'' on a gamble :). :thumbup:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Never had the patience to take up the game seriously, but I did practice straight pool exclusively for about four days one time. On a Gold Crown with 3 7/8" pockets starting with BIH on a break shot I ran a 71, missed a break shot, then ran a 37. That's the last time I played straight pool (about 20 years ago).

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
27 is my high run and admittedly I need to learn more about the game. I did play in a straight pool league for a year a couple years ago and had never played the game before. I haven’t played since either although I had come to the conclusion that there is no better game. It’s hard to beat the feeling of leaving a successful break ball, pocketing it, having the cue ball smash into the rack and continuing your run.
Watching bits and pieces of the Tournament has renewed my interest and I’m going to start practicing and learning the game immediately. I’ve set a goal of a 50 ball run by January 1, 2020 on my GC with 4.5” pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ran over 100 twice... (119 was high... 106 was the other) … that was when I was 20...
this was on a Brunswick 9' table... (they say once you go over 100 you are considered
a - century runner... :)

Too bad not many people play the game much anymore... it is a great game...
called 14.1 or straight pool... I am sure there are many who went over 100 in runs...
but that was long time ago.... today's game is 9-ball or 8-ball.... guess everything
changes over time...

& yes it is true... anyone online can say any number of high runs they did as it
can't be verified especially when you post it online... :) One last thing, I was told
by many great players & it is very true... playing the game will make any player a
lot better player... along with a lot of practice!!!

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
high run is 28 playing myself on a 4x8
I started practicing straights while john was in cali looking for gold
I really enjoyed it during that time
haven't been motivated to practice that way since
but I know I'll get back to it
14.1 is too much fun/torture not to:thumbup:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
154 8 years ago. Recently I got 14.1 bug bite me and I practiced it quite a lot late summer. I did have 4 practice set where I ran 3 times over 100. Two of those runs(103,123) were played while I was commentating my game on 9footer (with pockets of 4.5 inch) Dynamic 3 table. One run was played tightened Dynamic 3(4inch 1/6) where I did not speak and ran 113.
I try break my record before before end of year if I can have couple free days..

P.s Link to 103 is in my signature below.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My high run is 101.
Tried to break many times.
Probably got a bunch of 70's and maybe 80's but it's hard to remember because I've been playing for 60 years.
And at 72 those hard run saving shots are a bit harder now.
I did run 3 or so racks,didn't count the balls recently on a diamond 9 footer.
Much easier to run balls on a Crown.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play a lot of pool and really worked on my game. I have a Brunswick Anniversary with 4.5 inch pockets and Black Diamond rails. 4 summers back I only played straight pool at home. I watched some videos and matches.

I ran 168 and over 100 four other times.

Knowing the table speed well helped.
Playing the racks by the book and the best break shots is the key.

I've ran 12 racks of 8 ball on a barbox and 7 racks of 9 ball on a Gold Crown with about 4.75 inch corners.

I don't play that much so I don't expect I'd break these personal bests. Last week I did run 4 racks of 9 ball on a Diamond Pro Am with. 4.5 inch corners.

Thats world class shooting.
Who are you?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
One last thing, I was told
by many great players & it is very true... playing the game will make any player a
lot better player... along with a lot of practice!!!

True. Back when I was playing a lot of straight pool I was also a sub on a VNEA league. I got 27 ERO's one season (runouts from the break or from an opponents break when all 15 balls remain on the table). I only played 8 weeks, 5 games per week -- a total of 40 games. I believe 27 runouts out of 40 games was a direct result of playing a lot of 14.1.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ran a 98 in April. I was glad to see that I could still run my age, even if only barely.:wink:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'm asking because of the "EXPERTS" that keep taking shots at the 14.1 event. ME: 37 balls. I'm FAR from a player at 14.1 but i like it and appreciate the skill needed.

83 on a Gold Crown I
65 on a Diamond blue label

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really recall mine, but it was around 30.

Which is kinda funny, coz I ran a full rack in rotation off another's break, then b/run 2 more racks (also in order) . All on a RKC tightened gold crown.

I no great mathing, but that seems like a strange pair of fax.