Left Shoulder Pain

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
cortisone

I didnt see any mention of a cortisone shot. Has that helped with shoulder pain? Its time to do something. Putting less weight on my bridge arm sounds like a good idea. It only hurts when the bridge arm is locked down in the stance.

Cortisone results are all over the place. Some get very minor relief, others get significant relief. Typically this relief lasts from three weeks to three months, not typical but sometimes longer. Sometimes the cortisone shot even gives time for something to heal.

The downside. Cortisone weakens bone and causes other damage. I refuse to get a shot more than once every six months, usually not that often. Four to six weeks relief out of six months made the injections seem like they weren't worthwhile to me so I haven't got a shot in many years now. Everyone's experience will be different.

Not that big of a risk to try a shot. However, read about the dangers and side effects, they are significant. Definitely not a magic cure all with no downside.

Hu

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started taking Glycosomine Sulfate supplement for my knees. It seems to have stopped my shoulder pain too. It takes about a month to work.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speed pool.

Witnesseth: you play twice as fast, you make 2x as many balls as before. it is 4x more fun.

The data doesn't lie.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impossible to tear muscles, without extreme movement (like lunging on the break). Anything that you do with your pool swing should not cause pain. If it does, you're doing it wrong!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I started having pain in my bridge shoulder shortly after I began playing pool. I had a labrum tear and needed to have surgery. I doubt that pool caused the injury but maybe just aggravated the shoulder. Chicken or the egg. Who knows.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On one of your posts above I would reply
Some people play tennis to get in shape
In reality you have to get in shape to play tennis
The message
Cross training and stretching is very important
I am 66 play tennis and have had tennis elbow,torn rotator cufff, bad hamstrings etc
Trust me you need to more than just the sport you play

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In total agreement with bbb here! :thumbup: By the way doc, I was a complete idiot not to take your advice years ago, to deal with the spot on my neck. As you know, it turned into melanoma that was surgically removed 15 months ago. I got extremely lucky, and have had no re-occurances...knock on wood!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

On one of your posts above I would reply
Some people play tennis to get in shape
In reality you have to get in shape to play tennis
The message
Cross training and stretching is very important
I am 66 play tennis and have had tennis elbow,torn rotator cufff, bad hamstrings etc
Trust me you need to more than just the sport you play

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
me too!

I started taking Glycosomine Sulfate supplement for my knees. It seems to have stopped my shoulder pain too. It takes about a month to work.

I take Glucosamine-Chondroitin and MSM for bones, joints, and connective tissue. They take a while to work so the effects don't seem that noticeable. When I quit taking either one I feel the effects in a few weeks or so. Been taking these things a lot of years and strongly believe they help joint and connective tissue pain.

Hu

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to much weight in front.
snookerplayers how turn to pool develop this often
because in snooker they often lean into the ball, but that table is higher
so it allows you better to do that

can develop into nasty long-term injury

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and reading about medication
anti-inflammatory without pills

check cold exposure and Wim Hof breathing. direct results. especially when a cold or infection is coming up...acuteself-imposed stress reaction > adrenalin > serotonin+dopamin > anti-inflammatory protein

(and very good before poolplaying)

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my neck is nervy
so after looking down at the table for awhile
I feel it in my shoulder
weird

related moreso to tennis
I feel pain in my knee
that's referred pain from a pinched nerve in my back
took me over ten years to crack that one (quarter pun)

the good news is, when you know what's wrong
you can do something about it
I do physical therapy for these things
it's a little work for feeling a lot better

take care of yourself!!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this happen a few years back and I quickly blamed it on pool only to realize it was actually the way I was sleeping. I had to learn how to sleep facing the other direction and rotate. For those keeping score at home -- I only slept on my stomach for about 30 years. If I sleep on my stomach now, I won't be able to walk for days. Growing old is fun, especially for someone as inflexible as I am.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I had this happen a few years back and I quickly blamed it on pool only to realize it was actually the way I was sleeping. I had to learn how to sleep facing the other direction and rotate. For those keeping score at home -- I only slept on my stomach for about 30 years. If I sleep on my stomach now, I won't be able to walk for days. Growing old is fun, especially for someone as inflexible as I am.

Man I thought I was insane/membrane but 30 years of stomach sleeping? Outrageous :D
Just thinking about it makes my lower back hurt. Back sleeping only for me. Though I do remember being a side sleeper for a while in middle school.

I also get the bridge hand shoulder pain if I’m not careful. I plant my bridge and push my hips back and if I’m not paying attention I’ll put a lot of my upper weight right on my shoulder socket stuff.