Who are the top 10 american pros right now?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was curious to see some lists. I only ask this after the bergman choice and everyone being amped up for the mosconi cup.

also, how many of the top American pros are full time?

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shane, thorpe, bergman, woodward, styer, duel, dechaine top 7 (in no particular order), after that?

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. SVB
2. JB
3. Sky
4. Dechaine
5. Styer
6. Thorpe
7. Duel
8. Dennis Hatch
9. Earl the Pearl Strickland
10. Eberle right now, but I could put Sossei, Roberts, JJ, Archer, Schuff,

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
Definitely a toss up. I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but a few possibilities after the aforementioned 7 players above. In no particular order:

Shane Van Boening
Justin Bergman
Sky Woodward
Mike Dechaine
Tyler Styer
Billy Thorpe
Corey Deuel

Justin Hall
Shane McMinn
Josh Roberts
Oscar Dominguez
Max Eberle
Dennis Hatch
Earl Strickland
Jeremy Sossei
Danny Smith
Johnny Archer
Chip Compton
Rodney Morris

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your right.

Definitely a toss up. I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but a few possibilities after the aforementioned 7 players above. In no particular order:

Shane Van Boening
Justin Bergman
Sky Woodward
Mike Dechaine
Tyler Styer
Billy Thorpe
Corey Deuel

Justin Hall
Shane McMinn
Josh Roberts
Oscar Dominguez
Max Eberle
Dennis Hatch
Earl Strickland
Jeremy Sossei
Danny Smith
Johnny Archer
Chip Compton
Rodney Morris

I like your list, but is Mike Dechaine really still a top player or is he on everybody's list based on past reputation?

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
first to last in this order. imo

SVB
Mike Dechaine
Skyler Woodward
Corey Deuel
Billy Thorpe
Justin Bergman
Tyler Styer
Josh Roberts
Rodney Morris
John Schmidt

The last few could vary

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My .02

Van Boening
Bergman
Woodward
Dechaine
Dominguez
Thorpe
Deuel
Styer
Hatch
Morris

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.fargorate.com/fargorateblog/archive/earl-strickland/

"And speaking of Dechaine, yes the window salesperson from Maine does still play and has also logged about 600 games in the last two years performing at 803 speed for those games."

- September 05, 2019

And although he didn't play International 9-ball open, he did, a month after the above quote, play the Steinway Classic, where he faced James Aranas, Thorsten Hohmann, and Shane van Boening with a combined record of

24 wins 21 losses

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised people still put guys like Rodney Morris and Dennis Hatch over players like Jeremy Sossei and even Frankie Hernandez. Is it just based on reputation?

Also, surprised to see noone mention Wilkie. Has he fallen off the radar?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Was curious to see some lists. I only ask this after the bergman choice and everyone being amped up for the mosconi cup.

also, how many of the top American pros are full time?

In order, ignoring Dechaine, who is semi-retired. Mike would be top three if he became serious about pool again for sure. In addition, I assume we're talking nine ball here, as it's the game played at the Mosconi.

1) SVB
2) Justin Bergman
3) Skyler Woodward
4) Jeremy Sossei
5) Tyler Styer
6) Billy Thorpe
7) Corey Deuel
8) Josh Roberts
9) Donny Mills
10) Max Eberle

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
In order, ignoring Dechaine, who is semi-retired. Mike would be top three if he became serious about pool again for sure. In addition, I assume we're talking nine ball here, as it's the game played at the Mosconi.

1) SVB
2) Justin Bergman
3) Skyler Woodward
4) Jeremy Sossei
5) Tyler Styer
6) Billy Thorpe
7) Corey Deuel
8) Josh Roberts
9) Donny Mills
10) Max Eberle

Sossei above Styer, Thorpe, and Deuel? Color me surprised.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sossei above Styer, Thorpe, and Deuel? Color me surprised.

Sossei's countless Joss titles and rock solid track record against all of Shaw, Dechaine, and Van Boening over the years are my reason. He also has two different third place finishes in the Derby City Nine Ball, which has a field of over 400. FYI, he recently lost 11-10 to SVB in quarterfinals of the Steinway 10-ball Classic.

As he very rarely travels anymore to events, Sossei's a little under radar, but he is one tough opponent and America's best players all know they're in for a very tough match whenever they draw him..

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sossei's countless Joss titles and rock solid track record against all of Shaw, Dechaine, and Van Boening over the years are my reason. He also has two different third place finishes in the Derby City Nine Ball, which has a field of over 400. FYI, he recently lost 11-10 to SVB in quarterfinals of the Steinway 10-ball Classic.

As he very rarely travels anymore to events, Sossei's a little under radar, but he is one tough opponent and America's best players all know they're in for a very tough match whenever they draw him..

If we look only at play in the last 12 months and restrict to players who have logged 500 or more games in FargoRate, the order looks like this...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 10.36.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 10.36.55 AM.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 500

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If we look only at play in the last 12 months and restrict to players who have logged 500 or more games in FargoRate, the order looks like this...

Yup, Mike, nine of our top ten are the same, and there's not much difference in quality from 4 to 10 as I see it, so the difference in order is not critical in that range. I've watched them all regularly, though, and am influenced by what I've seen. Bergman robs everyone on your list except Shane for the money and is the only one of them other than Shane that matches up with some of the elite Asians.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, Mike, nine of our top ten are the same, and there's not much difference in quality from 4 to 10 as I see it, so the difference in order is not critical in that range. I've watched them all regularly, though, and am influenced by what I've seen. Bergman robs everyone on your list except Shane for the money and is the only one of them other than Shane that matches up with some of the elite Asians.

I am not so sure if Bergman still robs Sky these days. Sky seems to keep getting stronger. I feel like he plays better now than he did even a year ago.

Has Putnam quit playing completely?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

1) SVB
2) Justin Bergman
3) Skyler Woodward
4) Jeremy Sossei
5) Tyler Styer
6) Billy Thorpe
7) Corey Deuel
8) Josh Roberts
9) Donny Mills
10) Max Eberle

Oscar will play the bottom 7 on your list.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Oscar will play the bottom 7 on your list.

Oscar hasn't competed much in 2019, so if he's in his top form, I've not had the opportunity to watch his play of late, and perhaps while he's a little under the radar for me. Perhaps you're right in your assessment, but in an action match, I myself would back Sossei over Oscar. It would be a fun match to sweat for sure.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the discussion of not including dechaine is a bit weird, i mean what's the difference in being part-time pro and being "pro" but living off scraps?