Mosconi Cup 2019 Day 2 (26 Nov)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Kaci breaks wet in rack 2 and it doesn’t look like he has much on the one. His safety is a thing of beauty and puts Tyler to the test. Tyler misses the kick, giving up ball in hand. Kaci cashes in on his superb defense, running out for a 2-0 lead.

The moves game has been front and center in this match, and Kaci has outplayed Tyler tactically to this point.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tyler breaks wet in rack 3. Plays a safety that is passable, but no better. Kaci’s attempted safety isn’t converted, and Tyler has the first look at a very tricky layout. His two in the side with two rail shape long to the three is masterful and sets up a chance at a runout, which he converts confidently. Really well played rack by Tyler to pull within 2-1. Kaci to break rack 4.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Kaci breaks wet in rack 4, leaving no realistic chance at the one ball other than a tough cross side bank, He wisely opts for a safety and his safety is perfect. Tyler wil need to do something special to get out of this mess. Hejumps and hits the one, and the result is satisfactory, leaving Kaci a cut of the one ball up the short rail. Kaci makes the one, narrowly avoiding a scratch, but misses the shape onto the two. He gambles and wins on bank the two cross side, a gutsy shot to say the least. This impressive shot sets up a runout, completed for a 3-1 lead.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tyler breaks wet in rack 5 and has a good look at the one in the side. Hits it well but gets a bit too straight on the two. Goes for a huge stroke, and while the stroke is big enough, the shape is missed because the angle wasn’t right. An error on Tyler’s next shot leaves Kaci a carom off the three into the nine, and Kaci hits it well to take a 4-1 lead. On the hill.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the big ones go 1:1.
Ok, SVB lost to Filler, but that USA taking away the doubles match from Shaw/Filler could be huge in the end. Was good for Bergman too, to get his first success and making some important shots on the way.

Kaci outplaying Styer could also be a turning point. It was like a flashback from past years, better break and superior safety game on the European side.

Now I'm curious how Feijen will perform, since he clearly felt the pressure yesterday.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Kaci breaks wet in Rack 6 but the one doesn’t look playable. Kaci plays a nice safety and Tyler is in a fix, with the one ball buried in traffic. He makes a bad kick and Kaci has ball in hand. Bad kicking has really cost Tyler in this one. Kaci should, and does, run out for the 5-1 victory.

Europe leads the Mosconi five matches to three.

The US is 0-4 in singles matches.

Last edited:

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the big ones go 1:1.
Ok, SVB lost to Filler, but that USA taking away the doubles match from Shaw/Filler could be huge in the end. Was good for Bergman too, to get his first success and making some important shots on the way.

Kaci outplaying Styer could also be a turning point. It was like a flashback from past years, better break and superior safety game on the European side.

Now I'm curious how Feijen will perform, since he clearly felt the pressure yesterday.

This one will be important for Niels. He hasn’t looked to be in MVP form, as in years past. He also will be called upon to play a singles match tomorrow, I believe. If he falters, USA’s chances to win this event go up.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I’ve been playing for 30 years and I’ve never heard someone breaks wet lol wtf does that mean

Not really new terminology:

Breaking dry = not making a ball on the break
Breaking wet = making a ball on the break

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really new terminology:

Breaking dry = not making a ball on the break
Breaking wet = making a ball on the break

It also saves a few words i.e. He made a ball on the break/He broke wet.

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing for 30 years and I’ve never heard someone breaks wet lol wtf does that mean

I have been playing for more than 50 years, and I never ever heard that expression. I think he just made it up.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You know it's kinda funny...

They said a little while ago that team USA has won all the team matches and none of the singles.

I wonder how much that has to do with all of the team work ups they did prior to mosconi cup?

Jaden

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Match 9 is ready to go, Woodward/Thorpe vs Kazakis/Feijen. Skyler breaks wet in rack 1 and the Americans have a good look at a runout, converted nicely for a 1-0 lead.