Memphis tennesee pool halls?

DEACON

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do the better players go in Memphis? Going on a Friday or a Saturday. Thanks, appreciated

Tobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Goto High Pockets on Old Summer Ave its prob the best place in town adn if your looking for action im very sure you will find some there. Also they have a handicap bar table tourny on Sat Night that is good money. Great room owners nice gold crowns well kept. Oh and grab ANY of the food off the menu i promise you wont be sorry.

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Hi Deacon,

I can second the recommendation for High Pockets. Good place to play.

There is also a place called The Rack out on Lamar Avenue (outside the loop). Used to be a TON of action in there back in the day, but I haven't been there in at least 10 or 15 years so I can't vouch for now. Back then The Rack was in a rough part of town too, but not sure how that area is now......so find out before you go! :)

J.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can 3rd the recomendation for high pockets.

as for the sat night tourny , i dont think its on this weekend due to the apa top gun tourny happening. sometimes jake holds that tourny at sharpshooters also.

what do you play? some guys there play nothing but one pocket and definitely will give you a game.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too.

High Pockets is the place to go.

GO HUNGRY and EAT THERE! The food is awesome (recommend the grilled chicken), people are great, GC and Valley tables and Tracy the owner is always great and good for pool stories.

Ken

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken_4fun;4447388 recommend the grilled chicken... Ken[/QUOTE said:
Grilled chicken!!!

Memphis is known for some of the world's best BBQ, biscuits and gravy, and things made with "pork fat"...who eats "grilled chicken" when in Dixie Land?

:) :)

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I'll be in High Pockets tonight. They recovered all the tables recently and they are playing great. The Rack is supposed to be good but I don't have the nerve to go into that part of town after dark. It is really bad over there.

I am the old guy with a beard and a black P3.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grilled chicken!!!

Memphis is known for some of the world's best BBQ, biscuits and gravy, and things made with "pork fat"...who eats "grilled chicken" when in Dixie Land?

:) :)

Next door is Jacks BBQ...for some of Memphis finest!

Ken

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got a txt last night that they holding a 9 ball doubles blind draw tourny tonight. let me clarify one thing though. jeremy said no a or aa players will be teamed though.

had 40 players in the last one.

infest

Banger
Silver Member
I've been told the same thing about High Pockets. But I chose to go to The Rack anyway. I went there because I wanted to play on Diamond 9' . The Rack wasn't nearly as bad as I was expected. I was actually very impressed with it. Tables were great. The service was fantastic. The food was good, not great, but definitely nothing to turn your head at.

With that said. When I go back to Memphis to play. It won't be The Rack. From what I gather that place is purely Ghetto. I value my life 2 much. Lol

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I love High Pockets myself,but am also quite fond of The Rack too,but like it has already been mentioned,it's NOT in the safest place in the world,but not the worst either by a LONG shot.

Back when I was still playing hard-core,me and my buddies probably spent 2500+ hours at each place over the years,and this was with us living over 2 hours away.

However,the last time me and my best friend were in High Pockets we were treated in a manner than left both of us scratching our heads the rest of the weekend,and still does to this day,and hadn't even been in the place long enough to order food yet :confused:. Tommy D.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love High Pockets myself,but am also quite fond of The Rack too,but like it has already been mentioned,it's NOT in the safest place in the world,but not the worst either by a LONG shot.

Back when I was still playing hard-core,me and my buddies probably spent 2500+ hours at each place over the years,and this was with us living over 2 hours away.

However,the last time me and my best friend were in High Pockets we were treated in a manner than left both of us scratching our heads the rest of the weekend,and still does to this day,and hadn't even been in the place long enough to order food yet :confused:. Tommy D.

tommy i have been going to hi pockets on average 3 times a week for the past 3 years.. every time i get the chance i recommed hi pockets over any other place in town.

there are times when i walk in there and before i even make it to the counter whoever is working behind the counter already has my drink ready for me after they saw me walking through the door. once or twice i have felt like an unwanted stepchild, when that happens i chalk it up to them having a bad hair day.

no one is perfect, you musta been there on one of them bad hair days. :D

DEACON

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the great advice and feedback. I ended up going to the Rack on Lamar... I went at about 10pm and stayed til about 1 am.. Played one and one with the locals, made a couple of bucks.. Had a great time but yes, its pretty seedy but since I have played a lot on the south side of Chicago and other seedy places I felt at home... Brought my "junk cue with my Kersenbrock shaft attached and brought little money. I will definately go to High Pockets on my next excursion and maybe meet some of you in person... BTW, I did go to the Commisary to eat and the ribs were to die for...