other one piece tips

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after several failed experiments with stock elkmasters, I'd like to know what else is out there
I'm also interested in going the custom elkmaster route, but I still don't understand
what soaking them in milk etc. and/or pressing them actually does
if processing them makes them more consistent, I would like more info. on those
but I like the soft feel
ultimately I'd like to find a soft-ish tip that holds its shape well enough
thanks as always, for any help

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after several failed experiments with stock elkmasters, I'd like to know what else is out there
I'm also interested in going the custom elkmaster route, but I still don't understand
but I like the soft feel
Try an Ultraskin ProSoft.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks I Got..I know triangle is popular but I've never come into contact with one myself
will have to check it out

Try an Ultraskin ProSoft.

thanks gar, but isn't ultraskin a layered tip brand?
I've seen people on here recommend them but I want to try one piece first
thanks again

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
but I like the soft feel

Personally, I don't really care for pressed elkmasters. I've made them several times, but I'm not happy with the performance, nor the feel. I use pressed LePros myself. I'd probably not advice going this route if you don't install your own tips, because any single layer tip is usually hit or miss. Pressing them tends to increase the "hit" rate, but I don't want to lie to you, there will be some "misses". If you put them on yourself, that's not going to be a big issue, but if you're paying some guy 10 euro for the install, then it can get expensive. Pressing a LePro, just the right amount, will produce a tip that's easier to install and cut, that won't mushroom as much, and will have IMO a superior feel. A triangle will have a crisper, dryer feel, wheras a LePro that's been pressed just right will feel just a little bit softer, grippier and better. I can't tell you exactly how to achieve that, it's more art than science, especially when it comes to pressing. I bought a 14 mm tip press on Ebay, I soak the tips in Milk overnight, then I press for quite a few hours. If you crank down too hard, you ruin the fibers and the tip is trash, not enough and you won't get the feel. I think that with Elkmasters, it's easier to ruin the fibers, and I guess heat treating the tip in warmer milk might help that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks I Got..I know triangle is popular but I've never come into contact with one myself
will have to check it out

thanks gar, but isn't ultraskin a layered tip brand?
I've seen people on here recommend them but I want to try one piece first
thanks again
Why one-piece? I quit them years ago. For the $ UltraSkins are tuff to beat. The black Pro soft or Ivory soft are worth a try. On Ebay about 5bux/tip. $27.50/10 here on AZ.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to try soaked and pressed 1 piece tips. Long time AZB member and trusted seller here makes the 'top shelf' consistent pressed elks. Search: Pooldawg8

Not what I call soft but no mushrooming when installed and burnished correctly, wear great and they 'grab' the ball when you need action.

Good luck,

-Kat,

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I don't really care for pressed elkmasters. I've made them several times, but I'm not happy with the performance, nor the feel. I use pressed LePros myself. I'd probably not advice going this route if you don't install your own tips, because any single layer tip is usually hit or miss. Pressing them tends to increase the "hit" rate, but I don't want to lie to you, there will be some "misses". If you put them on yourself, that's not going to be a big issue, but if you're paying some guy 10 euro for the install, then it can get expensive. Pressing a LePro, just the right amount, will produce a tip that's easier to install and cut, that won't mushroom as much, and will have IMO a superior feel. A triangle will have a crisper, dryer feel, wheras a LePro that's been pressed just right will feel just a little bit softer, grippier and better. I can't tell you exactly how to achieve that, it's more art than science, especially when it comes to pressing. I bought a 14 mm tip press on Ebay, I soak the tips in Milk overnight, then I press for quite a few hours. If you crank down too hard, you ruin the fibers and the tip is trash, not enough and you won't get the feel. I think that with Elkmasters, it's easier to ruin the fibers, and I guess heat treating the tip in warmer milk might help that.

unfortunately I am not doing the install and while I'm happy to support my local guy
you're right, those euros/americos add up
but what you're doing is neat..sounds like art, for sure

I've seen several folks recommend the pooldawg dud..how hard does it feel?
I don't need goose feathers but I do like a little cushion
any problems installing those? any ballooning of the tip?

gar, I don't have a great answer for you
just that I've used house cues to shoot more than any other
and I like a house cue tips well enough to try to stick with them
albeit customized more to what I seem to like
I did try a layered tip before
the first one was pretty good
the second one glazed over in a week
I might end up going back the bikini route
if I can't find a cutie in a one-piece
:p

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but I like the soft feel

I've never tried them, but I think Ki-Tech is a single layer tip that makes a soft tip.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Pooldawg8's duds are more of a medium tip. I break & shoot with mine, and have no problems applying spin. They don't glaze over; at least mine hasen't. I think you'd like them if you're used to playing with house cues.

If you want to try another layered tip, then I'd go with either the Ultraskin black or the SIB Cool Blue medium. I've installed a bunch for local players and never had a complaint.

Josh

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
unfortunately I am not doing the install and while I'm happy to support my local guy
you're right, those euros/americos add up
but what you're doing is neat..sounds like art, for sure

I've seen several folks recommend the pooldawg dud..how hard does it feel?
I don't need goose feathers but I do like a little cushion
any problems installing those? any ballooning of the tip?

gar, I don't have a great answer for you
just that I've used house cues to shoot more than any other
and I like a house cue tips well enough to try to stick with them
albeit customized more to what I seem to like
I did try a layered tip before
the first one was pretty good
the second one glazed over in a week
I might end up going back the bikini route
if I can't find a cutie in a one-piece
:p
I use one of these occasionally to add texture to tip: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Morakami-G...571474?hash=item215a940792:g:W88AAOxyx0JTh7gD Works as good as the Kamui i lost at 1/2 the price.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pressing

but I like the soft feel

I have posted my whole process of measuring and weighing a few times but I wanted to mention feel. When you soak the Elkmasters naturally they swell. Measure the height of one before soaking and press back down to this height. The tip will seem a little tougher, hold it's shape better with less tendency to mushroom, but will still be soft. You can even compress to slightly above original height. The hardness seems the same as before dudding but again the tip is a little tougher.

You have to find what you like. I believe even if I let someone else do the install I would do the dudding. Only drawback is that you are responsible for bad tips but I can't remember a bad tip after I started weighing them. The weighed tips work pretty good straight out of the box too. The way I play I might trim mushrooming once or twice before the tip settles down. They don't really mushroom enough to matter playing, more a visual thing when I am handling the cue shaft alone and see a little bulge. Doing my own installs I sometimes angle the sides of the tips slightly inwards. The key word being slightly. Fine to play like this, if the tip bulges a little that is fine too. Since the tip is supported better, it rarely bulges much.

Hu

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TWWETEN Cue tips

makes ELK PRO-
VERY HIGH QUALITY-
Same maker as elk master-much better consistent quality

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Another vote for Dawgduds.
Been using them for the last couple years with NO complaints.
They play like layered tips but much more consistently imo.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
dudding a tip

I know there are other places to get the info and no doubt a youtube video or two out there but here is a nice overview of dudding a tip, goes a little into why and how. The site is based in England and sells things too. I am not recommending them or anything but this article. They have a domed single tip tool but they sell them by the pound, always confusing!

Hu

https://www.snookercrazy.com/elkmaster-milk-dud-cue-tips/

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there are other places to get the info and no doubt a youtube video or two out there but here is a nice overview of dudding a tip, goes a little into why and how. The site is based in England and sells things too. I am not recommending them or anything but this article. They have a domed single tip tool but they sell them by the pound, always confusing!

Hu

https://www.snookercrazy.com/elkmaster-milk-dud-cue-tips/

sweet link! thanks hu
and all for the replies

in the dark, but armed with wisdom
I can see

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another vote for Dawgduds.
Been using them for the last couple years with NO complaints.
They play like layered tips but much more consistently imo.

I recently decided to try some ‘milkdud’-type pressed Elkmasters, after I discovered my ancient stock of LePros had dried out over the years, required constant sanding/tapping, and STILL resulted in frequent miscues.
Ordered a bunch from multiple sources, so can’t recommend a specific seller. Pricey (compared to LePros by-the-box), and inconsistently shaped, so only selected a few to install.
First reaction...hit like a wet noodle (compared to my overly-hard LePros). And, they mushroomed initially, and required some burnishing to reshape. BUT, now that they are broken in, the hit is more solid (I even break 8-ball with them), and the mushrooming has ceased. I hardly ever need to sand or tap, and they stay fuzzy and hold chalk well. Should wear well as a result. I’m satisfied, and would order them again.