Giant list of tournaments

heisenbug

Registered
Is there a giant list of tournaments anywhere online? Usually once I find out about something, it's in the past, months ahead, or way out of my area.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a giant list of tournaments anywhere online? Usually once I find out about something, it's in the past, months ahead, or way out of my area.

Not in one place with all relevant updated information. You just have to call around all the pool halls around you and/or bars with more than one table and write it down.

heisenbug

Registered
Not in one place with all relevant updated information. You just have to call around all the pool halls around you and/or bars with more than one table and write it down.

Bummer. That sounds like a niche out there for someone who's a little more motivated and a little more in the know than me.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bummer. That sounds like a niche out there for someone who's a little more motivated and a little more in the know than me.

There is the app GoPlayPool. In my city they only list the bars that have a pool table, which is most. It doesn't delineate between shooters bars or a bar with a table. It doesn't tell you which bars are straight/gay either. In my city that could be a problem for an out of towner.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check Facebook. We have a Facebook page for tournaments in my area. I think a local league operator is who started it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

heisenbug

Registered
That's the problem for me at least, is all of the information is spread out and all over the place. There isn't a good calendar will all of the events that you would need. I was just hoping that there was one, but I was just unaware of it.

Check Facebook. We have a Facebook page for tournaments in my area. I think a local league operator is who started it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It would be 100% dependent upon thousands of data sharers, aka: people.

They are notoriously unreliable. One would be a fool to tie anything of value to that heavy lot.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
That's the problem for me at least, is all of the information is spread out and all over the place. There isn't a good calendar will all of the events that you would need. I was just hoping that there was one, but I was just unaware of it.

The problem is not enough players are playing pool tournaments now to warrant the effort. Online magazines (that used to be printed) like "The Break" in the NorthWest used to have every regular good-sized weekly tournament from Washington to California. This was in the mid 90s, and in Seattle/Tacoma area, I had my choice of tournaments 7 nights a week, and a Sunday 8 ball tourney at my home hall.

Now, this area has maybe 2-3 listed tournaments a week, and of those, they will generally get below 16 players, and about 50% of the time, they don't get enough of a turnout to even hold a tournament.

Older players are falling out of the game, and the younger players who historically would have replaced them, are playing online video games, for fun and profit. It's a lot cheaper to git gud at a competitive online game, and there are lots of tournaments to try to make money at. Same basic hand/eye coordination needed for pool applies to these games, and no need to spend a few hundred a month in table fees, or purchase a $5,000 Diamond table, and the $150,000.00 house it will fit in.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is not enough players are playing pool tournaments now to warrant the effort. Online magazines (that used to be printed) like "The Break" in the NorthWest used to have every regular good-sized weekly tournament from Washington to California. This was in the mid 90s, and in Seattle/Tacoma area, I had my choice of tournaments 7 nights a week, and a Sunday 8 ball tourney at my home hall.

Now, this area has maybe 2-3 listed tournaments a week, and of those, they will generally get below 16 players, and about 50% of the time, they don't get enough of a turnout to even hold a tournament.

Older players are falling out of the game, and the younger players who historically would have replaced them, are playing online video games, for fun and profit. It's a lot cheaper to git gud at a competitive online game, and there are lots of tournaments to try to make money at. Same basic hand/eye coordination needed for pool applies to these games, and no need to spend a few hundred a month in table fees, or purchase a $5,000 Diamond table, and the $150,000.00 house it will fit in.

Yeah, used to be a lotta weeklys around DC in the same time. Kept me from getting a real job for a good while, fer sher.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZ has a tournament forum

https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Many more local tournaments are on local FB groups

Facebook groups are good for this, New England has one and I think most or all of the local tours post their events there. Also follow any Facebook pages of the pool halls.
Once you make a group of Facebook "friends" that share what they know you should have a good amount of things showing up. That is how I find out about the charity events I go to in the area and also put out what I do in the weekly I run.