Your Spot Shot Record?

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My spot shots were 8o% r higher,until i played 1pocket,then that % dropped quick,thats what is so tough about 1pocket it makes easyer shots harder,because of cue ball speed control,its a whole differant stroke!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Spot shot comes occasionally in straight pool as well if you end up leaving the last ball in the rack area. I'd say it's a medium high percentage shot making the ball from the head spot and split the rack open in the other end of the table, assuming you have left a good angle in either side of the spot ball. Not easy for many players though...

It also occurs not infrequently when a player scratches towards the end of a rack and the couple of balls left are behind the line.

When I was a kid we used to practice them all the time and even gamble on who could make more in a rack of 15 balls. When bored we'd even shoot "moving" spot shots by rolling the OB from the head string down the middle of the table towards the foot rail and try to sink it in one of the corners before it hit the foot rail with the CB in the kitchen. We did this for money too. LOL

Last edited:

9BallPaul

Banned
Question

OK, experts, what's the ruling?

As I understand rules of 14.1, the shooter calls the ball and the pocket, period. Kisses don't matter, slides down the rail don't matter, etc. If the ball goes in the designated pocket, it counts.

So if I'm going for this spot-shot record and I miss so badly that I make the ball four rails later, am I still in action?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, experts, what's the ruling?

As I understand rules of 14.1, the shooter calls the ball and the pocket, period. Kisses don't matter, slides down the rail don't matter, etc. If the ball goes in the designated pocket, it counts.

So if I'm going for this spot-shot record and I miss so badly that I make the ball four rails later, am I still in action?
Sure. Send my fee to the usual Paypal.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I would have to assume "Spot shot Ken" the guy referred to in this thread from Florida. He was amazing I saw him make hundreds in a row lots of times. He would practice and never miss and just quit. You have no problem finding witnesses everybody knew him and had seen him make hundreds. When he made like over 1200 that nigh there was a room full of people and taking turns spotting the balls for him.

The first time I met him I got hustled. He wanted to bet on 30 out of 50 for $50.00. I didn't know who he was and talked him into 40 out of 50. Of course he was stealing. In a random bet 98 out of a 100 would have been about even money and once he got going he would probably win every time. The thing is, when you see him do it you can see in no time why he almost never misses. He would just slow roll in the shots from the head spot like it was easy with just enough speed to bring the ball back to him.
Thanks for the info. When I saw the article in Pool & Billiards about him, I thought someone was joking.

I'm curious, though. Did he always shoot the shot on the same table? Did he always shoot from the headspot?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. When I saw the article in Pool & Billiards about him, I thought someone was joking.

I'm curious, though. Did he always shoot the shot on the same table? Did he always shoot from the headspot?

No, he did them in a number of pool rooms and what ever table was open when he came in. I guess as long as the table rolled pretty straight since he shot the shots slow he had no problem. Yes, he always shot them from the center spot. In general he was not a good player, all he could do was the spot shots. I have no idea how he ever happened to develop the spot shot thing. I think he may have died a while back, His actual name was Kenny Kiddy (sp?) but every one called him "Spot Shot Kenny".

There are tapes of him by the way. The pool room had a camera over one of the tables and they taped him many times. I believe the pool room has a tape of him doing over a thousand. This would be the Hollywood billiards in Hollywood Florida. Maybe someone can get a copy and put it on youtube. Like I said it seems unbelievable till you see him do it. In a few minutes watching though he makes it look so easy you feel like he will never miss.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, he did them in a number of pool rooms and what ever table was open when he came in. I guess as long as the table rolled pretty straight since he shot the shots slow he had no problem. Yes, he always shot them from the center spot. In general he was not a good player, all he could do was the spot shots. I have no idea how he ever happened to develop the spot shot thing. I think he may have died a while back, His actual name was Kenny Kiddy (sp?) but every one called him "Spot Shot Kenny".

There are tapes of him by the way. The pool room had a camera over one of the tables and they taped him many times. I believe the pool room has a tape of him doing over a thousand. This would be the Hollywood billiards in Hollywood Florida. Maybe someone can get a copy and put it on youtube. Like I said it seems unbelievable till you see him do it. In a few minutes watching though he makes it look so easy you feel like he will never miss.
Does anyone recall what year Pool & Billiard had an article about Kenny? I'm writing an article about propositions including a lot of spot shot challenges.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Yesterday I felt like practicing straight pool by myself, to see if I could break my high run of 33 I made about 4 years ago. After about 20 minutes with a high run of 2, (I was having trouble getting a shot after the break shot) I gave up and decided to practice spot shots. What I did was I put the cueball behind the headstring, the object ball on the spot, with the cueball lined up to it across the table, shooting for either corner pocket. On my first try I hit 11 in a row, then I hit 12, missed, and quit. My record for this is 18. Has anyone else tried doing this before? About 30 minutes after, I got into some action and was playing very well, I guess shooting spot shots is a great way to warm up and practice too.

I was just spouting off about this in another thread yesterday. Try "no look" ( turn your head before the shot ) spot shots. Then, once you have that down, turn your head, slide the cue out of your bridge, touch the tip to the floor, put it back through your bridge, then make the spot shot ( keeping your head turned the entire time ). It's easy. Try it! :grin:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few years ago, like 20, I was feeling pretty special and challenged a friend to a spot shot competition. We played $1 per shot until one of us decided to quit. I had made a run of 22 spot shots once, so I was sure he'd quit fast. I went first, made 9 or 10 then missed. He made more than a dozen. I made 3 or 4, then he made another dozen. Then I missed my first shot back to the table and watched him shoot probably 20 in a row before I quit placing balls on the spot and paid him. I lost $30 in about 15 minutes and never challenged his spot shot skills again.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone recall what year Pool & Billiard had an article about Kenny? I'm writing an article about propositions including a lot of spot shot challenges.

Bob I shoot spots ball in the kitchen. Cueball has to return to the kitchen. Shoot next spot from where it lies only to the opposite corner pocket.
My high run is 29 which ironically enough I did on a horrible gaffed 9ft gold crown.
I challenged a top pro to do 12 in a row on a barbox for 50. He said let me try a couple shots first. He failed his first 2 attempts and said no,can you do it?

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seems to me if you hit 11 spot shots on the first try, you should be running more than 33 balls.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Larry Bird in the late 80's/early 90's made something like 70 (or around there) consecutive free throws in games (as a result of being fouled, etc) and was close to the record (I remember the announcers talking about it, but I can't recall the exactly numbers), but didn't break it. I haven't heard of anyone getting that close since.

I think Lambeer(?) had a run of 96 or 7 when the Pistons were on top.

I'm going to practice me some spot shots now.....:eek:

td

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I think Lambeer(?) had a run of 96 or 7 when the Pistons were on top.

I'm going to practice me some spot shots now.....:eek:

td

Baccckkkk in the day ( like, uhhhhh... 270 yrs ago ) I made 9 no-look spot shots in a row. These days? I probably couldn't even SHOOT 9 in a row. I'd fall over on the 3rd or 4th. :grin:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Many years ago (playing the white from where it stopped) I pocketed 300 blacks in a row from its spot on a snooker table. I stopped on 300 because the friend who was respotting the black got fed up and called it quits.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A man some call "Mr. Spot Shot" may be the greatest pool player you’ve never heard of, until now. Meet Kenny Kiddy. Kiddy hit 1,250 spot shots in a row in 1988 at the age of 50.

His early years were overshadowed by poverty and marred by heartache. It was a Monday morning that he went up to get lunch money and found his mother dead in bed. By the time Kiddy was 13 years old, both his parents were gone. Pneumonia killed his mom. A work accident took his dad.

To make money, Kiddy went to work at a bowling alley where he saw his first billiard table, and that’s when he picked up his first pool cue. But Kiddy didn’t get serious about billiards until many years later. He was too busy taking chances elsewhere.

Kiddy admits, "I rolled dice for 1,000. I won. I rolled for 2,000 and I lost. I was a gambler." He got really good at sinking stripes and solids in his 40s while living in Florida. Kiddy says, "It was like a machine. Not like a human doing it. It was like automatic." Kiddy found his groove in a game called Spot Shot. It’s the same shot over and over. Just a spot shot. His standard bet was $500 if he pocketed 95 out of 100 balls.

Today Kiddy, 81 years young, volunteers at his church and makes ridiculously delicious fudge. Read more about Mr. Spot Shot. https://wjla.com/…/mr-spot-shot-retired-gambler-shares-his-…

Attachments

• 83687073_10157135035003020_4474306309734268928_n.jpg
    83687073_10157135035003020_4474306309734268928_n.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 236