magic rack hinders the eight ball

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an odd reaction for the rack, but I don't think it did anything to the 8 ball motion, it's too light to cause it to change direction if you throw it on top on a ball. You can try it.

The eight ball hung under the magic rack and went nowhere

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The eight ball hung under the magic rack and went nowhere

I don't think it hung under it, it just rolled slowly because the rack was tight. I may need to see it a few times but I did not see the rack really stop the ball, it's just with the magic rack the center ball can move, but not much unless it gets kicked around.

Looked at it a few times, it did go over the 8, but it did not hit it anywhere where it could have stopped it or really slowed it down, the way it moved was because of the tight rack.

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Pretty much nothing happened there. But you're right if it were a normal rack the score could be different.
If it were a different cloth the score could be different too. Let alone what would happen on a different table.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another video with what's wrong with the magic rack ref doesn't want to remove it after break and it throws off the balls again

Feijen wanted it removed and I guess the ref said no who has preference over removing the rack not sure but either way the rack jumps

09:45

https://youtu.be/aZ1sUG2Oc1s

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Just drove down to Seyberts yesterday and picked up a magic rack.

I only played about a half dozen games w it and saw it influence the break twice (8 ball).

Which side goes up, shiny or dull, or doesn't it matter?

Are you all using these in leagues? How do you deal w inadvertently moving an object ball taking it off the table? Is that a foul?

I'm tempted to bring it on league night but I can see it causing some arguments. There are no rules addressing using it in our league.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I only played about a half dozen games w it and saw it influence the break twice (8 ball).

Are you all using these in leagues? How do you deal w inadvertently moving an object ball taking it off the table? Is that a foul?

I'm tempted to bring it on league night but I can see it causing some arguments. There are no rules addressing using it in our league.

I watched a youtube the other day with Joshua Filler and he shot through the magic rack and hung the ball in the pocket and it was an easy shot the magic rack jumped and all LOL

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Check this out @ 10:15

https://youtu.be/i88IKS-A78E

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you think that was because of the magic rack you are crazy LOL, if the ball is rolling very slowly and is just about to stop, the magic rack may affect it by a mm or two. Same as any imperfection in the cloth or a slate joint not being even (which happens often). That shot was hit at full speed and missed because the ball was very close to the 9 and he probably had to cut it more because he thought he would hit the 9 first. Did you see his reaction at the position?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another video with what's wrong with the magic rack ref doesn't want to remove it after break and it throws off the balls again

Feijen wanted it removed and I guess the ref said no who has preference over removing the rack not sure but either way the rack jumps

09:45

https://youtu.be/aZ1sUG2Oc1s

The reason the ref did not remove the rack is that the ball spotter they use wold end up under the ball a bit which would be over the rack. Again, the rack moving does not affect how the balls react.

BTW you know you can link directly to a time in the video right? If you click on share there is a thing that states "start at...".

Do you think any major event would use a template rack or if it would be allowed in the rules if it had an affect past the very minor on how the game played out? There are 50 times more issues with shots because the table is not level or some other setup issue than because of anything the rack does. How about the tables that spit out balls hit perfectly in the center of the pocket? Or that rolled into a pocket a push out that was aimed a diamond from the pocket?

The rack jumping is not causing the shot missing, it's moves AFTER the shot, likely because the cueball has spin and grips it.

Last edited:

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you think that was because of the magic rack you are crazy LOL, if the ball is rolling very slowly and is just about to stop, the magic rack may affect it by a mm or two. Same as any imperfection in the cloth or a slate joint not being even (which happens often). That shot was hit at full speed and missed because the ball was very close to the 9 and he probably had to cut it more because he thought he would hit the 9 first. Did you see his reaction at the position?

Who gives a shit the magic rack is almost a problem in every game always have to be removed time called to move it cue ball hits it can’t be moved in some instances even when breaking the rack jumps it should be removed in all competitions especially when a shot clock is on in a game So it probably didn’t interfere with the shot but players don’t want to shoot through them if they didn’t mind they wouldn’t ask for removal Got it
Players always remove chalk where they are aiming at so it is a distraction and doesn’t belong Some Chinese guy probably invented it for cheapskates

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who gives a shit the magic rack is almost a problem in every game always have to be removed time called to move it cue ball hits it can’t be moved in some instances even when breaking the rack jumps it should be removed in all competitions especially when a shot clock is on in a game So it probably didn’t interfere with the shot but players don’t want to shoot through them if they didn’t mind they wouldn’t ask for removal Got it
Players always remove chalk where they are aiming at so it is a distraction and doesn’t belong Some Chinese guy probably invented it for cheapskates

In some places in Europe they use permanent dots on the table, stuck to the table, can't even remove it. A bit like the loose leaf holes you would use while doing a drill.

It was invented to make a tighter rack and in more situations than a normal rack can do not to be cheap. And I am pretty sure the idea was not from China. Ever try to get a good rack on a old table, or a poorly setup table, or cheap cloth or with a cheap house rack? The template rack does away with all those issues, in place of a very very tiny one of having to be removed. You need to remove a rack before you break, only difference is that you now remote it after you break. I have never had an issue where the Magic Rack interfered with a shot or was so hard to remove it help up the game for longer than the 5 seconds it takes to lift a ball and place it back down.

If you don't like it, don't use it. I don't see any issues with it and those examples you showed of it being an issue is not the rack being an issue.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are obviously in no position to have a rational discussion about it!

I use one sometimes and don't remove it from the table. I would estimate it alters the travel of a ball ever 30 games or so.

More than 0, but not enough for me to say it isn't worth the hazard.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are obviously in no position to have a rational discussion about it!

I use one sometimes and don't remove it from the table. I would estimate it alters the travel of a ball ever 30 games or so.

More than 0, but not enough for me to say it isn't worth the hazard.

I guess i'm old fashion and only believe the balls should be the only things on the table during the break no interference what's so ever let me get back to my game

Pelican1989

Registered
I guess i'm old fashion and only believe the balls should be the only things on the table during the break no interference what's so ever let me get back to my game

I'm more worried about the "interference" of a bad rack, balls not perfect etc

The magic rack is highly effective and improves the game

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does affect the movement of the balls. It is rarely significant but it is a fact. So it has its pros and cons. I say use it on a table where the balls wont rack properly with a triangle or a diamond because the pros outweigh the cons. On a good table no need - always looks a bit amateur in a professional tournament no matter how thin it is. Not totally against it but prefer just rack em tight as you can at the front and just fkin hit it.