War Time Joint material

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that Brunswick developed and utilized the War Time Joint material. I had not given any thought that other cue makers of the time would utilize the material as well. It seems reasonable that when the government seized ALL the brass for the war effort, that other cue makers would use an alternative, and the Brunswick material evidently would be desirable replacement. I recently acquired a pool cue with the war time joint material. It appears to be made of ebony or African Black Wood. I have been unable to identify it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

War Time Ebony 3.jpg

War Time Ebony 4.jpg

War Time Ebony 10.jpg

War Time Ebony 1.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know exactly what it is ,but I saw some Brunswichk Titleist cues with this joint

I forgot his name but an old college champion Leroy somethinghad one of these and sold it to an important collector asa Balabushka

I had known the cue and owner for years,but I wasn't sure until it sold

I don't know if George bought an old war time cue or how it srtarted,but it ended up a Balabushka
because Geoge finished it and made 2 nice shafts, Same black stuff

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Brunswick wasn't a plastics manufacturer. I'm sure they found this material and ordered rods of it to machine. It has been sighted on other cues of the era as well

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick wasn't a plastics manufacturer. I'm sure they found this material and ordered rods of it to machine. It has been sighted on other cues of the era as well

That makes sense. I also thought the pin may be an indicator of who may have made this cue. The pin is definitely unique. Could have been the original pin or maybe a replacement.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That makes sense. I also thought the pin may be an indicator of who may have made this cue. The pin is definitely unique. Could have been the original pin or maybe a replacement.

It may also be a modified Brunswick pin

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think that is ebony. Old rosewood can be very dark and has grain like that.
nice cue, sure it was a player in it's day.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree that is probably a rosewood of some sort. A. blackwood, or Brazilian, maybe.
Looking just at the grain, even a cheaper wood like padauk can get about that dark after a few years and some oil (sweaty palms).

As an aside: interesting that Brunswick had to substitute plastic during the war, but they let them keep using brass? I know of other "tool" makers, Stanley, e.g. that had to go to steel for parts that both pre- & post war were brass. Brass was more of a strategic material those years than any plastics.

PS - not questioning anything about the cue, just a "hmmm, that's curious"
Maybe B was making enough for the troops they had a dispensation. :smile:

smt

Last edited: