Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue Reviews
Reload this Page Choice between cues
View Poll Results: Best cue combining playing, build quality, warranty, value for money
Lucasi Hybrid Series 3 13.64%
Players HXT 6 27.27%
Players Rawhide RH 0 0%
Pechauer JP-N 1 4.55%
Pechauer Pro H Sneaky Pete 6 27.27%
Pechauer Pool Cue Professional P-G 2 3 13.64%
Poison cues with Venom2 shaft 2 9.09%
Joss BB-1/101/201/10-01 3 13.64%
Meucci Pool Cue M1 1 4.55%
Balabushka GB-1 1 4.55%
Katana with LD shaft 2 9.09%
Viking Exactshot 0 0%
Vikng with Vikore shaft 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Choice between cues
Old
  (#1)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member
vlahmapoutras is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Choice between cues - 12-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Hi everybody from The Netherlands.

I used to play quite a lot of pool in my 20s (now 37) but at some point stopped.I haven't played seriously for 10 years but now I grabbed my cue again.
I used to play with an Adam cue and some cheaper before. I never went too deep on the different tips, shafts or other technical characteristics of a cue, just practice, practice and some tournaments. The Adam cue is a 20oz with maple shaft and a metal joint. So the cues that I own were left in a case for 10 years. All of the shafts have dents mostly because of former use but still roll straight.They are just a bit annoying when playing cause I can feel them while cueing. So I decided to spend some money on upgrading.
I read a lot about low deflection and though I did't use much english in my play I was wondering if I should start with a LD shaft or maple type? Since I am starting from zero again I was wondering if it is better to start with a LD or a maple since changing later would be more difficult. I am going for a 190z weight.
I have narrowed(?) my choices to these cues:

Lucasi Hybrid Series
Players HXT
Players Rawhide RH
Pechauer JP-N
Pechauer Pro H Sneaky Pete
Pechauer Pool Cue Professional P-G 2
Poison cues with Venom2 shaft
Joss BB-1
Joss 101/201/10-01
Meucci Pool Cue M1
Balabushka GB-1
Katana with LD shaft
Viking Exactshot
Vikng with Vikore shaft

I would like to hear your opinions on which to choose and why. I know of course that there are multiple variables but I am looking for your views regarding playing, build quality, warranty, value for money.Since there are multiple choices it might also help other people with their choice for a new cue

So that's my first post and thanks in advance for your help to a former pool addict.

Cheers...

Last edited by vlahmapoutras; 12-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

12-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlahmapoutras View Post

I used to play quite a lot of pool in my 20s (now 37) but at some point stopped.I haven't played seriously for 10 years but now I grabbed my cue again.
I used to play with an Adam cue and some cheaper before. I never went too deep on the different tips, shafts or other technical characteristics of a cue, just practice, practice and some tournaments. The Adam cue is a 20oz with maple shaft and a metal joint. So the cues that I own were left in a case for 10 years. All of the shafts have dents mostly because of former use but still roll straight.They are just a bit annoying when playing cause I can feel them while cueing. So I decided to spend some money on upgrading.
I read a lot about low deflection and though I did't use much english in my play I was wondering if I should start with a LD shaft or maple type? Since I am starting from zero again I was wondering if it is better to start with a LD or a maple since changing later would be more difficult. I am going for a 190z weight.

Lucasi Hybrid Series
Players HXT
Players Rawhide RH
Pechauer JP-N
Joss BB-1
Joss 101/201/10-01
Meucci Pool Cue M1
Balabushka GB-1
Katana with LD shaft
Viking Exactshot
Vikng with Vikore shaft

I would like to hear your opinions on which to choose and why. I know of course that there are multiple variables but I am looking for your views regarding playing, build quality, warranty, value for money.Since there are multiple choices it might also help other people with their choice for a new cue

So that's my first post and thanks in advance for your help to a former pool addict.

Cheers...
I have a 2010 Pechauer Pro-H, it's an incredible playing cue. Well worth what I paid, a little under $300 new. If it was ever stolen, I'd pay another $300 ransom!
Mine is 18.5, Juma ferrule and LePro tip @ 12.75mm
If your ordering it I would recommend getting a 2nd shaft with it. Good luck whatever you choose, Johnny - B'ham, Alabama

Last edited by Johnny Rosato; 12-12-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Old
  (#3)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

12-12-2017, 09:49 PM

I would recommend removing the dents from your shafts and practicing with what you have for an extended period first.

Nothing wrong with what you have.

If you really insist on another cue then I might recommend the Pechauer or Joss.

But all that you cite are "decent" cues.

The Asian Balabushka is way over priced though. It makes it's money on the name.

Some you specify make and model, and others you specify only the shaft model....so it is really a strange list.

For example you specify the Viking Exactshot, which is a shaft, and you specify the Joss BB-1 which is a model of butt. Joss offers standard maple shaft, high performance maple shaft, and a laminated type high performance shaft. The butt selection has nothing to do with that.

You say you didn't play much English. Fair enough.

I would say you should play as much or as little of whatever is necessary to play the shot at hand, and you should be able to do it with whatever cue is in your hand. Concentrate on that.

LD just reduces the necessity of compensation, nothing more. But you still have to compensate for the characteristics of the cue and it is different on every shot. Nothing replaces practice.

Practice, play, and hand around here and talk.

The "upgrade" you seek may not be as much of an upgrade as you think. Perhaps not at all.

I am a collector, used to be a player. I have experience with many cues and love to compare and contrast cues side by side.

I traded a Predator for a 1970's McDermott and I will tell you the old McDermott is the better cue in every aspect. And that Predator at the time was worth twice what the McDernott was.

You have some old Adam cues? Maybe I will trade you something modern for one of them. Post what you have. But I caution you. I may come out ahead. And I don't mean just on monetary value. And I may just remove the shaft dents myself.

Play your game, learn your game. You should adapt your game to the cue less than the cue has to adapt to your game. The cue cannot adapt at all anyway.

But if you insist on an "upgrade", put your money in the best cue you can without embellishments. In your price range we are not talking fancy. Start with the shaft, the business end. IMHO get the best sneaky pete you can afford in that price range.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#4)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member

12-13-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
I would recommend removing the dents from your shafts and practicing with what you have for an extended period first.

If you really insist on another cue then I might recommend the Pechauer or Joss.

The Asian Balabushka is way over priced though. It makes it's money on the name.

Some you specify make and model, and others you specify only the shaft model....so it is really a strange list.

For example you specify the Viking Exactshot, which is a shaft, and you specify the Joss BB-1 which is a model of butt. Joss offers standard maple shaft, high performance maple shaft, and a laminated type high performance shaft. The butt selection has nothing to do with that.

I would say you should play as much or as little of whatever is necessary to play the shot at hand, and you should be able to do it with whatever cue is in your hand. Concentrate on that.

LD just reduces the necessity of compensation, nothing more. But you still have to compensate for the characteristics of the cue and it is different on every shot. Nothing replaces practice.

The "upgrade" you seek may not be as much of an upgrade as you think. Perhaps not at all.

I am a collector, used to be a player. I have experience with many cues and love to compare and contrast cues side by side.

I traded a Predator for a 1970's McDermott and I will tell you the old McDermott is the better cue in every aspect. And that Predator at the time was worth twice what the McDernott was.

You have some old Adam cues? Maybe I will trade you something modern for one of them. Post what you have. But I caution you. I may come out ahead. And I don't mean just on monetary value. And I may just remove the shaft dents myself.

Play your game, learn your game. You should adapt your game to the cue less than the cue has to adapt to your game. The cue cannot adapt at all anyway.

But if you insist on an "upgrade", put your money in the best cue you can without embellishments. In your price range we are not talking fancy. Start with the shaft, the business end. IMHO get the best sneaky pete you can afford in that price range.

Thanks for taking the time for such an extensive, informative and very interesting reply.Where I do not mention the shaft type I imply that the basic shaft that each company provides is used.

Old
  (#5)
nj82tj
The dude abides.
nj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond repute

12-13-2017, 02:50 PM

I had a Pechauer Pro Sneaky that I wish I never got rid of. It played really well with the standard maple shaft at 12.75mm.

58" SugarTree
8 Brunswick home table

Old
  (#6)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member

12-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post

And when I say Viking Exactshot I mean a Viking cue with that shaft.

Old
  (#7)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

12-13-2017, 03:05 PM

You are really missing Cuetec's R360 series in your poll!

Old
  (#8)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member

12-13-2017, 11:18 PM

Does anybody know what are the differences between the Pechauer Pro H Sneaky Petes in the Pro Series (H) and the Pro Series (G) ?

Last edited by vlahmapoutras; 12-13-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Old
  (#9)
AlexandruM
AzB Silver Member
AlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-14-2017, 07:57 AM

I tried couple of cues you are choosing from, and here are my thoughts:
1) All cues you listed are good quality cues, and should provide almost the same quality for the same money.
2) If it possible, buy a cue and 2 shafts one standard and one LD, so you can try both them, anytime. From my experience, after some time you are tempted to try an LD shaft if you have a standard one, and vice versa.
3) Because you (and I) are from Europe, you have to look for a cue that have a common joint pin so you can easy find a shaft in your local market, if you want to replace or upgrade. In my country (Romania) is hard to find a LD shaft with Pechauer Joint, Poison bullet joint or 5/16x18 pin (Players, Meucci). Keep in mind that unilok joint is always more expensive than other joint.
4) Try to choose a cue that can change the weight.

My advice is to choose a Joss cue, with Joss you have a great history behind the brand, great quality, common joint (you can use even Mezz shafts) and great playing characteristics.

Romanian Pool Blog

Last edited by AlexandruM; 12-17-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Old
  (#10)
ddg45
AzB Silver Member
ddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond reputeddg45 has a reputation beyond repute

12-16-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Lucasi Hybrid Series
Players HXT
Players Rawhide RH
Pechauer JP-N
Joss BB-1
Joss 101/201/10-01
Meucci Pool Cue M1
Balabushka GB-1
Katana with LD shaft
Viking Exactshot
Vikng with Vikore shaft

Cheers...
I've had a Players HXT and it was fine, and a Pechauer JP-N that was truly high quality, have tried a Joss and didn't care for it. My favorite of all is now a Lucasi custom LZL-14.but paid an extra $60 and upgraded to a Hybrid shaft, which gives me the best of both worlds. I have a leather wrap (which I prefer to rubber) and a 3/8x10 joint, which I prefer to the unilock. For just over $300 I got a bargain on a well made, beautiful cue with quality inlays and points and the hybrid laminated shaft. It's a solid player with a lifetime warranty. No brainer...

Playing cues: McDermott custom stained G230; Pechauer JP-09N since I like no-wrap cues. Lucasi LZL-14 limited edition with hybrid laminated shaft. Schmelke R065
All are better than I am but I fight the urge to buy more.

Old
  (#11)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member

12-16-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know what are the differences between the Pechauer Pro H Sneaky Petes in the Pro Series (H) and the Pro Series (G) ?
I contacted Pechauer and replied it's the same cue with just different production year

Old
  (#12)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member

12-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandruM View Post
I tried couple of cues you are choosing from, and here are my thoughts:
1) All cues you listed are good quality cues, and should provide almost the same quality for the same money.
2) If it possible, buy a cue and 2 shafts one standard and one LD, so you can try both them, anytime. From my experience, after some time you are tempted to try an LD shaft if you have a standard one, and vice versa.
3) Because you (and I) are from Europe, you have to look for a cue that have a common joint pin so you can easy find a shaft in your local market, if you want to replace or upgrade. In my country (Romania) is hard to find a LD shaft with Pechauer Joint, Poison bullet joint or 5/16x18 pin (Players, Meucci). Keep in mind that unilok joint is always more expensive than other joint.
4) Try to choose a cue that can change the weight.
5)

My advice is to choose a Joss cue, with Joss you have a great history behind the brand, great quality, common joint (you can use even Mezz shafts) and great playing characteristics.
Thanks for the reply. Pechauer has a pretty standard 5/16 X 14 joint just like Joss so I see no difference in difficulty to find shafts. Both are nice quality brands.

Old
  (#13)
AlexandruM
AzB Silver Member
AlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-17-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Pechauer has a pretty standard 5/16 X 14 joint just like Joss so I see no difference in difficulty to find shafts. Both are nice quality brands.
Pechauer standard isn't a speed joint?

Romanian Pool Blog

Last edited by AlexandruM; 12-17-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Old
  (#14)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member

12-18-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandruM View Post
Pechauer standard isn't a speed joint?
https://www.seyberts.com/pins

According to a member here
"the Pechauer "Speed Joint". As stated, it is not mentioned at all on Pechauer's website, so we never get any info on the actual dimensions of this joint pin. It looks much like the typical 5/16X14 joints in so many other brands (Schon, Joss, Predator, etc), but the actual pin,which goes directly into the wood of the butt without any phenolic type of material, outside of the Pechauer done piloting of the shaft which accomodates the unique shoulder and thread design of their speed joint, and looks like it has a larger diameter pin than those others just mentioned. The Speed Joint, I might add, is very precise, much like a true resistence joint, where the closer one gets to totally tightening the joint the snugger the fit becomes. "
Also the shaft that OB recommends for the Pechauer Pro series cues is the OB+ 5/16 x 14 Thread Silver Ring High Performance Cue Shaft
https://www.obcues.com/products/OB-C...lus-Shaft.html

It seems that the speed joint is a variation of a 5/16x14

Last edited by vlahmapoutras; 12-18-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Old
  (#15)
vlahmapoutras
AzB Bronze Member

01-29-2018, 09:32 AM

Just wanted to thank you all on your contributions. I went for the Pechauer Pro-H. It's a beautiful in its simplicity, well-constructed cue. Excellent cue at a nice price!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: