The "why" of the success of CTE and the coaching of Stan Shuffett

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current crop of pro players who have been instructed by Stan are certainly excited about the method and how it's bumped their games up. So are the amateurs who have used it for years, however most quit posting on here because they're sick of the ANTI-GANG.
Too bad many 'how to shoot better pool' books eventually fizzled, became dust gatherers on collector shelves, and didn't give people any long lasting excitement or satisfaction.. Those who bought into many of those books' principles and systems ended up not using them at all. Some of the authors didn't/don't even use the methods themselves.
It's certainly not because the concepts become so internalized that players "don't have to even think about it".
I read where one guru states there are 15-20 mathematical calculations for places to aim at the object ball......(I'd like to see the guru demonstrate that bit of nonsense)
Another guru indicates "it's all elementary, my dear Watson, just use my formulas and you'll be on easy street...most of the time I think"
There's a reason this foolishness has failed and is still failing.
It's because the ideas just don't work as stated since nobody can see so many mathematical calculations over the face of the OB and CB as well as the outside of the OB by their imagination when it's beyond a 1/2 ball hit.
But, the writers did make money from the efforts and still do. Never hurts to sell "HOPE".
In the carnivals we called HOPE 'alibi joints' and 'flat stores'.
Stan Shuffett's TRUE CTE method of aiming does not rotate around "HOPE".

Last edited:

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current crop of pro players who have been instructed by Stan are certainly excited about the method and how it's bumped their games up. So are the amateurs who have used it for years, however most quit posting on here because they're sick of the ANTI-GANG.
Too ba

We need a CTE Users forum outside of AZB. Even Stan Shuffet doesn't post here anymore.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Too bad many 'how to shoot better pool' books eventually fizzled, became dust gatherers on collector shelves, and didn't give people any long lasting excitement or satisfaction.. Those who bought into many of those books' principles and systems ended up not using them at all. Some of the authors didn't/don't even use the methods themselves.
It's certainly not because the concepts become so internalized that players "don't have to even think about it".
I read where one guru states there are 15-20 mathematical calculations for places to aim at the object ball......(I'd like to see the guru demonstrate that bit of nonsense)
Another guru indicates "it's all elementary, my dear Watson, just use my formulas and you'll be on easy street...most of the time I think"
There's a reason this foolishness has failed and is still failing.
It's because the ideas just don't work as stated since nobody can see so many mathematical calculations over the face of the OB and CB as well as the outside of the OB by their imagination when it's beyond a 1/2 ball hit.
But, the writers did make money from the efforts and still do. Never hurts to sell "HOPE".
In the carnivals we called HOPE 'alibi joints' and 'flat stores'.
Stan Shuffett's TRUE CTE method of aiming does not rotate around "HOPE".

And their names are................

Your just talking shit with no proof......you make assumption you cant back up....in other words......you are just talking out your ass.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We need a CTE Users forum outside of AZB. Even Stan Shuffet doesn't post here anymore.
There are plans for just that in the works elsewhere. No hassles, no arguing, no lies, no personal attacks.
We can discuss the points of the method with those pros who use it openly and those pros who keep it to themselves except for sharing with trusted associates.
That will make this aiming forum a happier place. The soothsayers, experts, and prophets of doom will be happier since we will be out of their way, and we will be the happiest of all.
Patience is the virtue.
Have a good day.:thumbup2:

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have heard from two different people that took a CTE lesson from Stan, and each say he is a really good pool instructor (or was a good instructor, considering he hasn't been giving lessons for a while now). Neither of these players use CTE, and one of them told me he would like to have another pool lesson with Stan sometime, but not a CTE lesson, just a regular pool lesson concerning fundamentals and such.

Anyway, concerning your quote above....I've probably owned every "how to" pool book published since 1950, and I can honestly say I learned something from each one. Sometimes what I learned wasn't worth the price of the book, but EVERY lesson I got from those books was and is still used today. And these lessons/concepts are now ingrained into my game -- I don't have to think about it...I just do it.

The average sales for pool instructional books is around 5,000 copies over a 10yr period. That's not very good, certainly not a money-making scheme to rob aspiring pool players out of their hard-earned cash. And I don't know of any pool books that have "fizzled out". If the book is no good, then of course it'll quit selling because word gets out and people eventually quit buying it. But I can't think of any pool books over the last 30 years or so that have fizzled out -- they are still being sold, ordered, printed, read, and used by thousands of pool players around the world. Most of these books are written by lovers of the game, players that feel like they have something to offer that could help others become better pool players, which is the same reason a lot of players become certified instructors. I admire Stan Shuffett's passion because I and many others share that passion. And I hope his book exceeds the average sales for most pool books.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The two aiming DVD's fizzled out.
Meanwhile Tor Lowry is booked.

Last edited:

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
No aiming discussing topic in this thread. Seems more like a main forum topic.
Or complaint department. Lol ��

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No aiming discussing topic in this thread. Seems more like a main forum topic. Or complaint department. Lol ��
Just another CTE whiner's thread...

Soon (we sincerely hope) there'll be a "CTE Whiners Only" forum (hopefully somewhere else) and we won't have to hear about it every other day.

pj
chgo

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just keeps on working......the truth will set you free.

For any newer readers here, look into the CTE method of aiming and discover what the others cannot or will not tell you about the true way to aim pool shots.
On YouTube there are countless videos by Stan Shuffett on the CTE method of aiming. (Sorry there are no DVD's left....he sold 4000 and that was it.)
Watch for his new free Truth Series on YouTube which is the prelude to his mammoth book release.
Tyler Styer has this to say on Facebook.
Tyler Styer: To Stan Shuffett and 8 others. "I am Off to China for the China Open 9 ball, then to Russia for the Kremlin Cup and Dream Challenge. All 3 are great events! Wont be back home till October 2nd. Expecting some top finishes from the USA boys!"
Tyler Styer: "Thanks for all of your aiming and foundational support, Stan Shuffett!"

It just keeps working and getting better all the time!
:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:
Tyler Styer.JPG

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For any newer readers here, look into the CTE method of aiming and discover what the others cannot or will not tell you about the true way to aim pool shots.
"...the true way to aim pool shots"

If you think there is such a thing, you may qualify for CTE cult membership.

If you don't believe in aiming magic (or simply have more or less normal reasoning ability), not so much...

pj
chgo

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So THAT'S where old SpiderWeb guy came up with that "lizard head" business. I thought it was all some of his satire and just good natured ribbing.
It actually EXISTS?? 'Moving the head side to side like a little lizard'...????
Oh man. It sounds like a sure fire way to be incompetent and inconsistent to me. Even the most basic concepts of shooting pool emphasize stability and remaining motionless while letting the arm do the moving.
That's what I mean when I look askance at those who pontificate with all the answers to this game. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing and completely misleading, as well, when presented in the form of instructions.
Thankfully, we have the TRUTH with our CTE

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
On YouTube there are countless videos by Stan Shuffett on the CTE method of aiming. (Sorry there are no DVD's left....he sold 4000 and that was it.)

The pool world had about 7 years to purchase the DVDs. So I'd say anyone that was interested got 'em. DVD1 came out in 2011 and DVD2 came out in 2013. Stan posted something back in the summer of 2017 about having DVDs still in stock, around 5% of dvd1 and 2.5% of dvd2. So probably about 150 DVDs were still available out of the 4000 just a couple of years ago.

This is the sad state of pool. There are millions of pool players in the world, and with any other sport it seems like sales are so much much better. Is it because most pool players are cheap, or because most are skeptical about buying instructional material? The CTE DVDs sold at a rate of around 500 per year, which is right in line with the average pool book at 5000 copies in 10 years. That is not good, considering that there are millions of pool players out there.

I'm not downing CTE, just stating how the market for most pool instructional material is not too vibrant.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
I don't know if he has turned out any great players, but he has very good players pimping his system. I am sure they are in for a little jelly. They played great before they met the CTE man.
This reminds me of those late nite flatten your tummy commercials. They go find the best looking people for the job too.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if he has turned out any great players, but he has very good players pimping his system. I am sure they are in for a little jelly. They played great before they met the CTE man.
This reminds me of those late nite flatten your tummy commercials. They go find the best looking people for the job too.
Dear sir.
You (probably in your zeal) are hijacking MY thread..and it is MY thread topic.
I was advised in no uncertain terms by one of the prominent citizens in this forum to "start you own thread, sweetie Low Low".....which is exactly what I did.
My topic is "the why of the success of CTE and the coaching of Stan Shuffett". Please participate by staying on that topic.
On the other hand, I will give you this one "free ride" and respond with my opinion about your post.
I think it is a rather harsh critique to 1. "assume the great players are in for a little jelly"
and #2 The word "pimpin" has quite a vulgar connotation to it, it is undignified, and certainly is not applicable to those great players in any endeavor who have a coach right at their sides while they work. Some of the best "Method" actors in films always had their acting coach at hand to note if they played a scene a certain way.
There is quite a difference between a coach and an instructor. Being able to tell the difference is a skill in itself and is readily discussed on the "ask the instructor forum' herein.
But since our game is considered a sport by many (I do not consider it a sport, I consider it a game and little athletic ability is required. Although many athletic types excel at this game).
According to you, pro players in sports must be pimps for their coach/instructors after they've had success. In golf all the top pro players sing praise of their coaches and pay them well to teach. In this day and age all pro golfers on tour have instructors and it shows in their money earnings and world ranking. So they must be "pimps" for their their coaches and that's it...??
1.Butch Harmon - $1,500 per hour. ...
2.Hank Haney - $15,000 per day. ...
3.Dave Pelz - $20,000 per day. ...
4.David Leadbetter - $3,500 for three hours. ...
5.Sean Foley - $1,000 per hour. ...
6.Chris Como - $3,000 per half day. ...
7.Dave Stockton - $600 per hour. ...
8.Peter Kostis - $500 per hour.
I think those facts are significant and are worthy of posting EVEN IF THEY ARE OFF TOPIC IN MY OWN THREAD.
In the future, let's confine our posts to the topic of the thread, shall we?
Have a good day.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... In the future, let's confine our posts to the topic of the thread, shall we? ...

Sometimes the supplemental (extraneous / tangential) information and discussion are more interesting than what would be produced by strictly following the OP's stated topic.

Starting a thread is kind of like tossing a beach ball from the top row of a large sports stadium. Eventually, the ball is likely to reach to the bottom, but the path is unlikely to be straight down. And exactly who gets their hands on it is not easily predicted.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes the supplemental (extraneous / tangential) information and discussion are more interesting than what would be produced by strictly following the OP's stated topic.<==I'm not so sure I agree with that
Starting a thread is kind of like tossing a beach ball from the top row of a large sports stadium. Eventually, the ball is likely to reach to the bottom, but the path is unlikely to be straight down. And exactly who gets their hands on it is not easily predicted.
I was told by Mr. Boxcar to start my own thread, which I did. I think he had a good idea.
I am hoping it will be for players like myself who are deeply involved with the CTE method of aiming. Of course I cannot keep anybody out since this is an open facility and is the property of AZBilliards and not me. The ignore feature can be used at will to tame the rowdy ones.
However, it would really be nice if those who detest CTE would just go their merry way and leave us alone to discuss it between those of us who are of like minds. (I can guarantee that I will not be "trespassing" into the opposition aiming threads)
We'd just like to have peace so we can discuss the progress that's being made with the method. (Any "civil debate" has been proven impossible on this subject over the years, it ends up being a shouting match which is not necessary or desired.)
Have a good day and thank you for your input.:thumbup2:

Just so you will not think I am making this up, here is a copy of what Mr. Boxcar said to me in the other thread when I was advising people just to place any argument lovers on the ignore feature.

Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
vCash: 500
08-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Low Low,
Be a sweetie and start your own thread. Maybe, just maybe, your 2 friends will contribute. Oh, sorry, I forgot. You don't have any friends.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
any pre-shot routine given to players who have none will yield positive results the practicing of the PSR itself gets you better.. They loudly thank the "system" when it was the PSR all along...

just a thought..

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any pre-shot routine given to players who have none will yield positive results the practicing of the PSR itself gets you better.. They loudly thank the "system" when it was the PSR all along...
just a thought..
And it's a very good thought too.
Without a solid preshot routine, the system cannot and will not function at its maximum effectiveness.
Good thinking there. :thumbup2: