Different Leagues, which? and why?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I kinda get the feeling that I'm just asking for trouble here, but I'm hoping to get some information.
I've been looking at the web sites of different pool leagues. I'm an APA player and that is the only pool I've really ever played not counting the odd tournament here and there. I've had the opportunity to watch the few other leagues here in town. I see a very different attitude at times that I'm sure I comfortable with. I'm a creature of habit, I'm comfortable in the APA and I know why I play in the APA. Why have you other league folks elected to play in the leagues that you play in? And if you play in several leagues, do you prefer one to the other and why?
My intention is not to start a bashing thread, but to acquire some informed opinions.
Basically, I play one night a week in the league structure, but just about every night at home, drills, just playing and stuff like that. I'm thinking it would a good thing to add another night. In all honesty, it'll likely be APA, but just in case...

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm also looking to join a league. having never been in one, would like some info as to the differences....

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I like the APA and NAPA for the fact that I play one person a set then I'm done. Gives me a better opportunity to get and stay in stroke. I also play BCA because I am part of a team we take to nationals, We cannot even come close to play APA due to the handicap restrictions. We would be a 35 :p
Of the 3, APA would be my least favorite due to the abundance of sandbaggers and a league operators ease of changing handicaps on a whim

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I think you should go with ANY league that takes any and all moneys put into the league and gives it ALL right back to the players... kinda like the league Im in, I think its called ACS. Our local rep that runs this league is only concerned with introducing cue sports to as many people as possible and growing the league quickly. He is also an awesome cuesmith: Mike Yingling.

I played BCA for about a year and a half (Rating: B) for when I just started out. I got tired of playing the same people repeatedly and it got to the point where I was winning way too much, so I bolted for fresh pastures. APA and BCA are fine for people just starting out or someone that has never played in a league before.

Regards,

Lesh

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have played in apa, napa , bcapl and a couple of different money leagues. i have not played in tap or vnea so i cant comment on them.

to me there are 3 factors for you to determine whether a certain league is right for you. well a 4th 1 also but it is not league specific.

1. lo- if you have a shitty lo you are playing in a shitty league no matter what letters are on your membership card. my apa lo is great. my napa lo i am glad to call a friend and is also my co captain on an apa team i am captain of. the bcapl lo we had left a lot to be desired and as a consequence bcapl is no longer in my area.

2. format- it depends on whether you prefer round robin or a race to your handicap. personally i prefer a race to your handicap but the bcapl round robin format in my money league is a nice change of pace once a week.

3. rules- i don't mind what the rules are as long as every one is following the same set.

4. number of azzhats in the league.this is not league specific but i will say there seem to be more in a money league simply because its all about the money.

now i will get to your question what league i like the most and why.

1. after much deliberation i gotta say its a tossup between apa and napa.

i enjoy myself more in apa because its a lot more laid back. laughing, joking even good natured ribbing between opponents ...... until playoffs.:grin-square:

napa is a lot more serious environment with a lot more serious players but i love the format...its a combination of what i like best about apa and bcapl.

3. bcapl comes in 3rd. several reasons why and just my opinion and not bashing the league. i prefer a race instead of round robin. points based 8 ball just like apa 9 ball which many people claim is not really 9 ball. if so what is points based 8 ball ? the rules such as open break , bih anywhere after a scratch on break greatly enhance a skilled opponents chance of a runout. in other words it makes the game too easy. i value my b&r's in apa a whole lot more than i did in bcapl simply because they are a lot harder to come by.

these are my reasons for what i prefer and like cellophane hope it don't turn to league bashing also.:grin:

SeanChamp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't played APA for about 15 years and am about to start back in January because a friend asked me. This past summer I played in a NAPA league (laggers choice), and absolutely loved it. I'd rather do the NAPA, but I don't want to drive an hour to play in it weekly, the APA is a 20 minute drive for me.

Laggers choice means you lag and the winner can choose to break or pick the format of 8, 9 or 10 ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't played APA for about 15 years and am about to start back in January because a friend asked me. This past summer I played in a NAPA league (laggers choice), and absolutely loved it. I'd rather do the NAPA, but I don't want to drive an hour to play in it weekly, the APA is a 20 minute drive for me.

Laggers choice means you lag and the winner can choose to break or pick the format of 8, 9 or 10 ball.

been playing napa for a lil over a year now. we play laggers choice also. here the winner of the lag chooses what game and gets to break 1st.

i played in the nationals this past year. loaded with tough players and the smoothest ran tournament i have ever played in.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from my experience...

Here is my 2 cents....

I have no experience with ACS, (It's available in the area though) sounds like Money is better, but there isn't much focus on "National competition". That's the trade off.

No NAPA here, but I'm very interested If anyone has more info!

Played in APA for 2 Years (It shut down in our area, and is now gone.) It was fun to do in addition to other league's, as long as you understand that it's intention is to expand pool, and encourage new players. (Teams will be split up often, if your all doing well, because your numbers will get too high.) The experience was fun though! I enjoyed the format of a "race to", but found myself playing a lot of the same people.

I currently play BCA (Member since 2006). I enjoy the opportunity to play these high caliber players, it's a constant challenge, no need to worry about "Sandbagging" everyone is out to win their match straight up! This league also enables growth and opportunity for any player. Just like other team sports, you can build a solid team, that will stick together year after year building memories. (BCA is huge, and can provide many doors into the world of competitive pool.)

I also play in a local "House League" that gives 100% of all the money back to the players, we tend to get the same players returning, and add a few new people each season. (I kinda view this as the "Fun League" (Even though I get the best return for my money). In this league we've taken parts of both BCA & APA that we liked and tailored it to fit our local needs. One thing we do differently, is a DRAFT each season, teams are mixed up each time with new players, and levels are kept pretty even, so EVERY TEAM has a chance to place at the end.

APA is great to start out in this sport! BCA is Great to KEEP the Challenge in you, and Keep the sport in general ALIVE. (I say try all the leagues you can, at least a season or two, and go with what ever fit's your playing style, and level of competition your looking for!)

Last edited:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not play APA because of the rules (slop shots allowed) however, i play TAP and I like the rules because we call all shots.....there has not been a napa league until recently and I just can't play back to back nights otherwise I would try the napa....

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not play APA because of the rules (slop shots allowed) however, i play TAP and I like the rules because we call all shots.....there has not been a napa league until recently and I just can't play back to back nights otherwise I would try the napa....

you need to try napa if you can. they are holding the nationals in atlanta next june. i see you would not have to travel far at all for it.

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently in 2 apa leagues, Hope to add a bca this coming season. I am not a big fan of bar tables and both the apa leagues I play in are in house on 9ft tables. The room owner opens up the tables an hour before league start and always tables to practice on while other team mates are playing. Very cheap practice for somene like me without a home table. 2 hours on the tables (free) even if I do not play that night.
I am not a big fan on apa game rules, but they work and as somene posted earlier, as long as everyone plays by the same rules.