usapl ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Lorider.
I am new to this forum, so I hope to learn and grow with you all. I had played in the APA for @ 8 years or so, and just could not stand the overall structure. I felt that there was no return on investment for the players. In fact, a player is making a investment whether they realize it or not. They are making a investment in both time and money. I felt that in the APA's format, the largest portion of the weekly fees that were collected went to the APA franchise owner, and not returned back to the players or teams. In the NYC area, a team had to win their division, then a local tournament, then a regional tournament and then in yet another regional tournament, you had a chance to win a trip to the APA Nationals in Las Vegas. Paying your fees at each and every step of the way.

When I finally sat back and figured out how much money my team had paid to the APA, I discovered that the only true winner was the APA franchise owner. In fact, the NY Times did a story on the NYC area APA franchise owner, Ross Banfield. The NY Times referred to him as " a franchise millionaire". With that, I left the APA and just played in local leagues and tournaments until I found the USAPL.
In the USAPL, at least how the league is run in Brooklyn, if your team wins the season then they win a trip to the Nationals in Las Vegas. Period.
I may be jaded or naive, so I am eager to hear thoughts and input.

Thanks

I realize apa is not for every one. I dont play leagues for money or a trip to Vegas. Most opinions on leagues......aside from rules or format are based on how their lo runs his organization. I happen to think my apa lo does a great job..

I am really digging usapl.. Although both 8 and 9 ball are points based matches and race to handicap just like apa 9 ball . The scoring system is entirely different. Usapl stacks up the points on the money ball.

Perfect example..

If you break and run 8 balls in 9 ball and miss the 9 and your opponent pockets the 9 ball.

Score in apa . You get 8 points for pocketing 8 balls. Your opponent gets 2 points for the 9 ball. You win the rack 8-2

In usapl under the same scenario. You get 8 points and your opponent gets 14 points for pocketing the 9. You lose the rack 14-8.

Helluva difference in points total per rack under the same scenario.

Biggest difference in determining skill levels is Fargo rate goes strictly by racks won in a match. The lower level your opponent is the less your rating moves after a win.

Not so in apa. I have seen a 5 stomp a 2 and get raised to a 6. Dont care what anyone says....beating the crap outa a 2 dont mean you play like a 6.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 6 in APA 9 ball is about a B player, in Fargo that would make you about 500-550. Getting to the 600 range you are in the very high B+ and A players. 700+ is A+ speed.

I love the USAPL formats, the rules are pretty much real rules, the ratings are very granular so you can have a B+ and an A- and there is a difference in rank, in the APA you can both be 7s. The format makes a win count as a win instead of just an extra couple of points for the money ball. You sink a 9 in USAPL it's 14 points, in 9 ball you get 2 instead of 1. APA you may as well be playing straight pool, who cares if you choke and miss the 9, it's just 2 points. You choke in USAPL you pay for it, just like in real life.

The national event is pretty nice also, all Diamond tables instead of the Valleys APA uses. Depending on your area you can even have a sanctioned straight pool and one pocket league, which my area tried out for a bit but ended up dropping because of low participation. There is also 10 ball you can play, again, depending on your area local operators. We have a Masters 10 ball division that is invitation only for serious players and that is strict 10 ball called shot called safe rules.

Do you play APA? B players are 7's in the APA. I have never seen an appropriately handicapped 6 that was a B player. Just fyi.

Agree the BCA national event is awesome

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're ratings a tad off but not much. Otherwise I agree with everything you said and I like it a lot better than APA as well.
I would consider 550-600 around B+ to A- and over 600 you're in the solid A and over.
I think right now I am around 525 and most consider me a solid B so that's all I can go by.

Koop - just being nitpicky :)

I don't really agree with this either. In the New England area, high 500's is probably a solid B, maybe B+. A's seem to be around 640 or so. 525 is probably a B-.

I play lots of handicapped tourneys and see a lot of these ratings. At least in this area.

KMRUNOUT

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really agree with this either. In the New England area, high 500's is probably a solid B, maybe B+. A's seem to be around 640 or so. 525 is probably a B-.

I play lots of handicapped tourneys and see a lot of these ratings. At least in this area.

KMRUNOUT

That could be right. I only know that a couple of friends who are rated A in tournaments are right at or around the 600 level. I may very well be a B-, I wouldn't argue that.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
didn't like alternate break and definitely fargo rate. your rating will go up and out of control if you leave the island.

So you are saying he could soon be ranked in the top 100 Fargo??? I am guessing you are not very familiar with how Fargo works.

USAPL.NYC

Registered
I realize apa is not for every one. I dont play leagues for money or a trip to Vegas. Most opinions on leagues......aside from rules or format are based on how their lo runs his organization. I happen to think my apa lo does a great job..

I am really digging usapl.. Although both 8 and 9 ball are points based matches and race to handicap just like apa 9 ball . The scoring system is entirely different. Usapl stacks up the points on the money ball.

Perfect example..

If you break and run 8 balls in 9 ball and miss the 9 and your opponent pockets the 9 ball.

Score in apa . You get 8 points for pocketing 8 balls. Your opponent gets 2 points for the 9 ball. You win the rack 8-2

In usapl under the same scenario. You get 8 points and your opponent gets 14 points for pocketing the 9. You lose the rack 14-8.

Helluva difference in points total per rack under the same scenario.

Biggest difference in determining skill levels is Fargo rate goes strictly by racks won in a match. The lower level your opponent is the less your rating moves after a win.

Not so in apa. I have seen a 5 stomp a 2 and get raised to a 6. Dont care what anyone says....beating the crap outa a 2 dont mean you play like a 6.

Lorider, I so agree. In the USAPL is just about pocketing balls. The fact that the winning player gets 100 extra points for the win, plus 2 points for every ball that they keep their opponent away from their winning score, is a HUGE difference between the USAPL and the APA. In the USAPL, the sandbagger is only hurting his/her own team by playing below his/her true skill level. I have played against C+ and B- players in local tournaments and then run into them playing on APA teams as 3's.
I'll keep you posted on how well the USAPL Brooklyn Skyline team 8-ball division makes out. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lorider, I so agree. In the USAPL is just about pocketing balls. The fact that the winning player gets 100 extra points for the win, plus 2 points for every ball that they keep their opponent away from their winning score, is a HUGE difference between the USAPL and the APA. In the USAPL, the sandbagger is only hurting his/her own team by playing below his/her true skill level. I have played against C+ and B- players in local tournaments and then run into them playing on APA teams as 3's.
I'll keep you posted on how well the USAPL Brooklyn Skyline team 8-ball division makes out. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Is Skyline still having Thursday 10-Ball tournaments? They used to be on challonge...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Apa 3's playing like a.c or b in a tournament? Unheard of around here.. I have never encountered any one below a 5 in tournaments around here. Except for a couple 10 bar tournaments that used to be held. There was a new player...to apa and was rated a 4 that took down a decent tournament . When I say decent I mean it had some fairly strong players in it but it was handicapped. Our lo promptly raised the dude to a 6.

Feel free to.post your experience in usapl in the ....how ya'll doing in league thread.

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member
BCAPL is a league-sanctioning organization that offers league operators the ability to affiliate their league with a national organization giving their league players the opportunity to play competitively at more regional, state and national events. League operators are allowed to play by their own rules and using their own formats. We all know that many pool players can be resistant to change, so this gives league operators the ability to become affiliated, while using rules and formats that are comfortable for players. As more of their players attend regional and national events, often those players start a grassroots effort to transition those leagues to the standardized CSI rules.