Want Respect in Pool? Be a Man.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Want respect in pool? Try acting like a man.

Earlier this month, Bravo aired the gender-bending social experiment series In a Man's World. The first episode "Emily" starred Emily Duddy, who turned into "Alex" in order to highlight sexism in the sport.

Here's my review: [url]http://www.billiardsmovies.com/in-a-mans-world-emily/[/URL]

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

I'm glad we're finally talking about this. I think the show has gone completely ignored by the forum. :grin:
You were doing an ok job of giving us the synopsis. As soon as you went from Cliff's notes to your opinion things go awry.
"While some might argue this is the standard jeering and one-upmanship in a sport heavy on braggadocio, pomposity, and intimidation"
Really dude? Making a "rack" comment is standard? I can assure you, it is not. So while you maybe drinking this BS Kool-Aid this program served you, real pool players aren't buying it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Earlier this month, Bravo aired the gender-bending social experiment series In a Man's World. The first episode "Emily" starred Emily Duddy, who turned into "Alex" in order to highlight sexism in the sport.

Here's my review: [url]http://www.billiardsmovies.com/in-a-mans-world-emily/[/URL]

Saw about a 5-10sec. ad for it. No intention of watching. Bravo is ground-zero for this lame butt-hurt sjw crap.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I watched most of it (the Bravo show, not your blog thing). I'm not sure how anyone could take it for anything other than a poorly acted, poorly scripted, low budget attempt to put forward a social agenda.

There's my review of the show and your review.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s just say Bravo shows aren’t bravo.
Only show I watched from Bravo was Top Chef. Was good in early years but recent seasons been horrible

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched most of it (the Bravo show, not your blog thing). I'm not sure how anyone could take it for anything other than a poorly acted, poorly scripted, low budget attempt to put forward a social agenda.

There's my review of the show and your review.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's precisely what it is. Some kind of bizarre way to cash in on the #metoo thing. The shows producers packed as much absurdity in as they could given that they only had one episode to do it.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

Sorry, man, but...... I haven't seen the episode yet, and your review made me especially never want to see it. You treated it as if this were some sort of REAL thing that happened, and it was all just pure hokum. I have played pool since around 1993, and never saw a woman treated in the way described in your review, but yet... You took the show somewhat seriously????

You want to know what sexism in pool REALLY looks like? Donny Mills coming back for seconds against Siming Chen, and the dudes on here insisting she's not REALLY a 790 Fargorate, because.... And then they invent every reason in the book. But I never heard a woman explicitly belittled at the table.

That's about as far as sexism in pool goes, and that show probably hurt our efforts to integrate more women in pool, quite frankly, and you never even touched on that.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Sorry, man, but...... I haven't seen the episode yet, and your review made me especially never want to see it. You treated it as if this were some sort of REAL thing that happened, and it was all just pure hokum. I have played pool since around 1993, and never saw a woman treated in the way described in your review, but yet... You took the show somewhat seriously????

You want to know what sexism in pool REALLY looks like? Donny Mills coming back for seconds against Siming Chen, and the dudes on here insisting she's not REALLY a 790 Fargorate, because.... And then they invent every reason in the book. But I never heard a woman explicitly belittled at the table.

That's about as far as sexism in pool goes, and that show probably hurt our efforts to integrate more women in pool, quite frankly, and you never even touched on that.

Yep, told my GF about this pile of garbage show and she said she would never go in a pool room if she didn't know better.

Gotta remember the IQ of the people watching this crap is about 80(too generous?) and they will believe every second of it.

This does nothing but hurt the game and Emily should be arrested for very poorly impersonating a Pro Pool player.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Emily hurt the game/sport that gave her a steady paycheck. Never bite the hand that feeds you. I lost most of the respect I had for her.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
The entire show, IMO, is an awful joke, nothing more than BS, social engineering, crap. Not necessary and poorly done at that.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
She got paid, she's a pro. Never mind that her fargo is sub 600.

Haven't watched it and have no intention. As Fargo goes, she's 594 and I'm 597. I wouldn't consider myself anywhere close to a pro...even on the womens tour :cool:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All those "why is pool this or that" threads. This is why. To most people perception becomes reality. This is a steaming pile of uselessness.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited: