Do you have any pet peeves about a Pool Cue's appearance?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I like pointy boobs, you know the ones that can put your eye out.

I don't mind floating inlays at all. I don't mind turquoise either. I prefer the southwestern flavor actually. I like ivory points too. I will agree that ringtail wraps in general ruin most cues because they are very distracting.
It's so funny that everyone seems to dislike rounded points and inlays. Tips are rounded. Pockets are rounded. The cue itself is round. Those 16 balls on the table are round. The quarter on the table I keep moving up a dot at a time is round. Boobs are round. Big butts are round....I really kinda like round. You're probably kinda super bummed if a just cleaned your clock with one of my rounded floating point cues. Too funny.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind floating inlays at all. I don't mind turquoise either. I prefer the southwestern flavor actually. I like ivory points too. I will agree that ringtail wraps in general ruin most cues because they are very distracting.
It's so funny that everyone seems to dislike rounded points and inlays. Tips are rounded. Pockets are rounded. The cue itself is round. Those 16 balls on the table are round. The quarter on the table I keep moving up a dot at a time is round. Boobs are round. Big butts are round....I really kinda like round. You're probably kinda super bummed if a just cleaned your clock with one of my rounded floating point cues. Too funny.

Uh oh.. a snow flake took it personal. Lol I been beat by plenty of people that play with what I would consider an ugly cue. I don’t see anywhere in this thread where they are tying cue appearance preference to skill :rolleyes:

I’m not a fan of any of that either.. mother of pearl is terrible lol turquoise’s , for some reason even though my favorite color is blue I don’t like blue’s or reds. In other words Viking cues to me our terrible. I’ve had some amazing high end cue’s in my life but now the less the better.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything with turquoise or that funky green stuff that Meucci and Lucasi use. Hideous. Also that "swirly pearly" stuff that Viking pimps. Butt ugly.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate dots or inlays at the end of points. Always makes me think the points were screwed up and hidden by the inlay.

I generally dont like ebony in cues much at all, but I hate it when paired with burls like Amboyna and woods like Tulipwood. Just does not go at all and wastes all the beautiful colors that can be brought out in the cues with better matched woods.

Hate black ferrules. Hate all ebony or tuxedo cues. (yeah, I know most love them- I just really dont get black as a color much at all)

That said I dont mind black as the points and buttpiece in a traditional cue. My Tascarella is Brazilian Roswewood and close to black in points if you look at it in certain lights but is still gorgeous

Dont like red veneers very much

I hate excessive inlays in cues. Past a certain point every additional inlay make a cue look worse and worse.

Whoever made that "level" system for cues based on the number of inlays had it all backwards in my view.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate dots or inlays at the end of points. Always makes me think the points were screwed up and hidden by the inlay.

I generally dont like ebony in cues much at all, but I hate it when paired with burls like Amboyna and woods like Tulipwood. Just does not go at all and wastes all the beautiful colors that can be brought out in the cues with better matched woods.

Hate black ferrules. Hate all ebony or tuxedo cues. (yeah, I know most love them- I just really dont get black as a color much at all)

That said I dont mind black as the points and buttpiece in a traditional cue. My Tascarella is Brazilian Roswewood and close to black in points if you look at it in certain lights but is still gorgeous

Dont like red veneers very much

I hate excessive inlays in cues. Past a certain point every additional inlay make a cue look worse and worse.

Whoever made that "level" system for cues based on the number of inlays had it all backwards in my view.
I'm with ya on the inlays. I'm not a fan of the overly ornate cues. Can appreciate skill to do it but a little inlay goes a long way. I like merry-widows with nice wood and ringwork.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your effn dog aint round?

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate cues with sharp blades

FF8B432C-0951-40ED-97C7-EC059F48154D.jpeg

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i like plain sticks
i use a players sp for pool, 75 bucks new
and a 1 piece black butted carom cue 60 bucks new from france with standard carom wood pin

but now im getting a sweet diamond wood breaker made, cause i like the way it looks
my players breaks very well for me, hope this one will be just a tad better lol

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I looked at just about every production cue maker out there when I got my cue. I didn't like the looks of 80% of them. The few I did like were mostly out of my price range. I ended up with a cue that is pretty much solid black, finished over solid black wrap, white collar at joint. Simple. Found a Rage break cue that looks just like it to go with.

My next cue will be a sneaky Pete that looks as much like a regular house cue as I can get.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
signature and dates on the cue
floating points
turquoise and malachite
bumpers
long ferrules
ferrules in general for most part
white and black ferrules are ok....that mixed epoxy chit....gross
plastic tips lmao
lizard and snake wraps
busy busy cues inlaid for the sake of inlayment
mid cue extensions (barf)
really white shafts
and general crappy execution of anything found on a cue

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Wood combos that do not match. Like bocote with pink ivory. Ugh!
Burl wood rings/bands. Why kill the hit? Ugh!
Rings that are thicker than the joint collar. Retarded.
Snake skin wrap. Ugh!
Big fat bumper.
Overly long joint screws. 12 threads for a 3/8 10? Too long!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Inlays that have about 1/8 or more black wall thickness inside the pocket
Tacky for me