The old undying ball cleaning quest/ion. Again.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn’t feel this belonged in reviews so here goes.

Any current thoughts on THE way to clean pool balls and the product(s) to use? My set is the Aramith Duramith.

I’ve got the Aramith cleaner twin pack, and a bottle of Brillianize. I’m about ready for a quick polish/clean, not deep, just a quick shine up as the balls have roughly three months play wear. I’m going to be cleaning by hand. We use Master’s chalk (need black chalk for the dark slate gray cloth).

Have read many threads here on this that are older. Ivory soap and water, Brillianize, Meguire’s Clear Plastic Cleaner, Novus 1, Aramith, other products, etc. have been bandied about as most of you old hats will remember.

I don’t want to introduce ‘artificial/weird throw’ or any other unwanted ball play characteristics I’ve read in some of those other threads. I’m a newb and I want consistency as much as possible while I’m learning.

What seems to be the current thinking/consensus on this for those kind souls so inclined to once again speak to this topic with any new knowledge?

Much appreciated!

Recommendations encouraged (other chalks that will also work well on my dark gray Simonis 860, but more pertinently the ‘prevailing consensus’ re best cleaning method / cleaning product(s)).

Thankee!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have a bludworth ball cleaner and use maguires detailer (black container )
i am happy with the results

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I thi k you already have more than you need. A couple microfiber towels and the Aramith products are fine.

I have Tournament Blue cloth so use several brands of blue chalk. I don't think Masters is bad chalk but for home I bought a dozen each of what I think are better products...Magic Chalk and Blue Diamond and am probably set for a decade or two.

I doubt blue chalk, which opens up a lot more available (and IMO better) brands, would show up on dark cloth any more than black chalk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Water

Clean with NON abrasive materials. A clean/damp/cotton cloth works perfect. I cleaned ball sets by hand, 5 days a week for years. The surface on a new ball set should never be polished when new, just hand cleaned. It will take a couple years of pool room play, to wear the new ball sets outer surfaces down.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto the exact combination for me, with the exception of the cue ball only - which I use a magic eraser with a just a little denatured alcohol on it, which efficiently cleans all chalk and miscue scratches off the cue ball before I place it in the ball cleaner along with all the other balls. I've heard some on here say they would never use a magic eraser on cue balls, but I've been doing it once a week for years and have seen absolutely no change in the shiny surface of the cue ball in comparison to when it was new.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a diamond ball cleaner and use the same cleaner/wax.
I found that if I use the wax once a week on the cue ball, it gets
so fast that you can draw it 5-6 rails ! lol. I found that there is plenty of wax on the ball cleaner cloth. So I only use the wax about once a month. Also, the balls skid using
the wax every week. And the CB shows chalk badly .
Good luck

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys and dolls.

Again I know y’all are weary of these same old tired questions.

I searched the forum and read so many different things about it I wasn’t sure which horse to bet on, so to speak. Information overload. Head spinning. I wound up posting this to fish for anything new and reasonably definitive.

It’s true that my Aramiths aren’t that dirty, but it could use its first cleaning as a set.

I hadn’t thought of using a different color chalk. If blue isn’t going to stand out ridiculously on that dark gray cloth it sure does open things up! Great suggestion. I figured I was confined to the black only :)

I think I’m going to go with the simple method first of using the clean cotton cloth (a thank you to “Island Drive”) To sate my OCD, this should be more like a T-shirt texture or washcloth texture or does it matter?

I’d sure like any additional thoughts on switching to blue chalk before I pull the trigger on a couple pieces (a thank you to “Logical”). That sounds like a great idea and what’s a guy to do if he can’t find something else to drop a little cash on, what with Santa gettin ready for his big day and all.

Thanks again my friends! Imma stay quiet a bit after this - lol :eek:

Nicholas (JackOfNoTrades)

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hand sanitizer is making strong waves.

For realz?

JackOfNoTrades <~~~~~~~~~ wonders if leg being pulled

Edit: Oh FFS. lmao. Yeah that’d hurt. You win this round. I’m muting your commentary in retaliation. lol

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For realz?

JackOfNoTrades <~~~~~~~~~ wonders if leg being pulled

Edit: Oh FFS. lmao. Yeah that’d hurt. You win this round. I’m muting your commentary in retaliation. lol

That’s what Accu-stats has been using for a while.

Freddie <~~~ no legs being pulled

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris Renfro used to post here all the time. He works with Accu-stats as well as being the founder and owner of Outsville (Accu-rack template, Ki-Tech tips, Great White Chalk).

Attachments

• 23BB89F5-EF06-44E6-B178-83DD1ABBFF4A.jpg
    23BB89F5-EF06-44E6-B178-83DD1ABBFF4A.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 526

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s what Accu-stats has been using for a while.

Freddie <~~~ no legs being pulled

:thumbup:

JackOfNoTrades <~~~ can watch tournaments without thumb ready on mute button

Seriously, this is very cool! Thank you sir.

I guess just the sanitizer and a microfiber towel? Easy peazy.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know if this hand sanitizer recommendation on pool balls is a joke, but I happened to have some around that our waitresses use, and I tried it on a couple of balls - never again!

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, this is the “AZB Newbie Burnish.” lmao

I’m doing the “Island Drive” as needed and the “logical” every few months.

/thread

JackOfNoTrades <~~~ not pouting <~~~ Internet forum vet :wink:

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had the Duramith balls for 5 years now, and have never really had any problems with them getting "dirty" as far as things like scuff marks go The pockets on my table are not leather, so that helps in that regard (my old table and balls were terrible for getting scuff marks). The balls do need to be polished up on occasion, and for that I just use Aramith polish (and do it by hand). But that's all it takes. They still look and play great.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t know if this hand sanitizer recommendation on pool balls is a joke, but I happened to have some around that our waitresses use, and I tried it on a couple of balls - never again!

I’ll see Chris Renfro in a bit and see exactly how they use it.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had the Duramith balls for 5 years now, and have never really had any problems with them getting "dirty" as far as things like scuff marks go The pockets on my table are not leather, so that helps in that regard (my old table and balls were terrible for getting scuff marks). The balls do need to be polished up on occasion, and for that I just use Aramith polish (and do it by hand). But that's all it takes. They still look and play great.

Thanks for the genuine input.

Our cue ball (like yours I’m guessing, black “@“) picks up that ugly black Masters chalk like no tomorrow. We keep an old cotton t-shirt and give it a quick hand polish with that every break and ball-in-hand.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meguiars PlastX is good stuff as well. One of the guys on YT that makes polisher recommends it. Can use it in a powered machine or by hand.