Stretching The Cloth

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This request is for Simonis 860, but I suppose if the answers for other brands are very different, please include them. My home room has 2 year old Gold Crowns. They have all been recovered in the last 4 months. Most are done in 860, but he has a few covered in the free cloth the liquor companies hand out. The owner has received a complaint on a couple of tables rolling off. The person said the cloth has not been stretched evenly and showed him a slight roll off condition near one side pocket. I know that how much to stretch the cloth is a "feel" type of issue and the subject of much debate. How much do you stretch 860 on the bed? Do you pull with pliers or by hand? How do you keep it evenly stretched? Do you use two people or more?
And I guess I should ask how much do you stretch the cloth on the rails?
I thank everyone for their expertise.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you referring to the cloth from the Liquor companies? Because I'm sure you mean that there is a Logo on it. The problem with that it is not real pool table felt. To put the logo on you have to heat it to 400+ degree Fahrenheit which will burn pool table felt. It's generally on a fake felt that strecthes a lot.

Also to keep the logo straight you can't stretch it right. Either you stretch it right and have a weird looking logo. Or stretch it wrong and let hte logo appear straight.

But that should not affect the roll that much. Chances are the table is just out of level. You can do that by adjusting the entire table using the feet. You'll want a table mechanic to do that for you.