Question for Independent Table Mechanics

Do YOU think Jacksonville is a good move???

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Anything is better than Atlanta

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Why the hell would you leave Atlanta

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As many of you might know I am a pool table mechanic. I work for a pool table store here in Atlanta. Right now I am basically the help but have stuck with the job to learn a new job skill.

Now I enjoy my job at my store. However, probably in the next year or two I want to break off on my own. That way I can make better money and more importantly have control over myself. I'll likely sell my Xterra and buy a cargo style van for hauling tables. I know it won't be as nice as a Box Truck but you have to start out somewhere.

Another reason I want to break off is a change in Scenery. I am in love with the Georgia Coast. Especially Savannah. But Savannah isn't a very large city and I need to go where I'm sure there will be plenty of work. So I'll likely move to Jacksonville, Florida with it being a decent size metropolis and near the Golden Isles. (Maybe I can bring the median age down to 80). It's not as big as Atlanta but I have to get away from Atlanta. And it won't be that long of a drive to Atlanta to visit family.

Anyways here are some of my questions. I'll be a cell phone based business. (infact I might sleep in the van if I have to) I'll try to get some yellow page adds and such. However my problem will be how to aquire Cloth and Bumpers at a wholesale price. Our shop can get it at wholesale due to us being a pool table store. I just don't know what process I'll have to go through being on my own.

I might just have to bite the bullet and buy it from a store at retail and make nothing on the cloth. That way I can still make money from the work but not the cloth it's self. I just need to get my name out.

Any help is appreciated.

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
the internet is your best bet,,,you can find anything (& I do mean anything on the net),,,nearly any legitimate supplier will sell to you if you have a business license and tax number to prove you are legit,,,others will sell to you regardless if you are legitimately in business or not,,,do you research for sources and continually search for a supplier that stocks items you need on a recurring basis,,,can't make any money if you can't get the supplies,,,JMHO

SlateHumper

Pokin' and Hopin'
Silver Member
ho sale

MBS Group Inc. 888 268 2375 Call these guys and ask for a catalog. They are very reasonable and ship quickly. As far as Atl or Jackson, I don't know either city so I couldn't say. I know Orlando had a fair amount of billiard business a few years back.

mechanic/player

Silver Member
Not too long ago I was thinking about doing the very same thing, even moving to another town to do so because I was told by others in the same field that I couldn't make it on my own against the already known companies in my area. They were right so I decided to work with them .

Over a two yr period I approached all the dealers in my area and did tables for a few before I could go out on my own and then eventually going back to one of the dealers . Now I do about 75 new Brunswicks a yr plus whatever my website and yellow page ad gets me, about 50 to 75 more installs/re-cloths a yr.

I worked on word of mouth for a while but that wasnt paying the bills so I had to pony up and spend the money on another cell phone ,website and a yellow page add. Over the past two yrs I've been busy enuff that I give all my moves to another mechanic to do, so basically I just do new installs and re-cloths and I couldnt be happier.

As far as supplies goes you may have to bite the bullet at first but you will soon make the connections you need to so that you can make money on those items too. I wouldnt wait too long to make a move. Good luck to you.

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should go today,then there whould be one less hack in Atlanta.Just kidding LOL....

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NoBull9 said:
I think you should go today,then there whould be one less hack in Atlanta.Just kidding LOL....

Sometimes I wonder.

Well I have plenty of time to plan because I want to take some time to save up money.

My goal is to probably get a late evening/night job in Jacksonville. Maybe even in a pool hall. Something to pay the bills. Then do table mechanicing in the daytime.

Another reason I am choosing Jacksonville is becuase it would allow me to do work in the Savannah area. Now it is a good drive. But I hope to reside in Savannah one day. Hopefully I can build a good enough reputation there that I can move there.

Then maybe start my own table selling company a few pool halls buy some realestate build some sky scrapers buy out some multi-million dollar corporations and become the world's first person to become worth 500trillion dollars. But that's in the future.

However I'll do whatever I have to do. I'll probably end up living in my van for a while just to get things going. But I'll do what I have to do.

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i work for a major billiard store chain, we have a indy here in vegas. he came to us and explained what he is doin and his plan ect. ect. so we help him out with felt and supplies or what ever. he get a special discount...kinda heavy really. but he buys all his stuff from us and sends in his cusyomers that want to get something for thier home pool table. it works well, sometimes if we are booked we will kick a job his way, service job that is....lol. he's been comin in for 5 years now and our aggrement has worked great. maybe you could try something like that

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiard Connection in Cincinnati.
(513) 579-1117
Talk to Kenny, a good guy, great to work with.
He specializes in table mechanics

Dale

SlateHumper

Pokin' and Hopin'
Silver Member
Cbc

pdcue said:
Billiard Connection in Cincinnati.
(513) 579-1117
Talk to Kenny, a good guy, great to work with.
He specializes in table mechanics

Dale

Ken/CBC only sells cloth anymore. Alot of the cloth he is selling is imported.