Basic Book for Beginners

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I would like, but cannot find, is a book on playing pool that is similar in style and layout to music "methods:" stand like this, hold the cue like this, stroke like this; how to aim; how to pot balls; English; throw, squirt, swerve; etc. Something that has daily practice exercises, and progresses from beginner to intermediate, and so on. Covers strategy for play and how to plan where to leave the cue ball, and how to do it, and so on.

Does such a book, or "method" exist?

Thank you.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
What I would like, but cannot find, is a book on playing pool that is similar in style and layout to music "methods:" stand like this, hold the cue like this, stroke like this; how to aim; how to pot balls; English; throw, squirt, swerve; etc. Something that has daily practice exercises, and progresses from beginner to intermediate, and so on. Covers strategy for play and how to plan where to leave the cue ball, and how to do it, and so on.

Thank you.
The new standard book of pool and billiards.... by Robert Byrne.
I think there's enough information in that book to keep you busy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Players Think of Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards

"Marooned on a desert island with only a pool table? This is the book you should have grabbed when the ship sank."
"Chef Anton" Riniti, Twice U.S. Trick Shot Champion, Alta Loma, California

"Even after forty years of playing pool, I didn't know half of what was explained in Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. I can't begin to explain how much I enjoyed it."
Fred King, Jackson, Michigan

"I'm disgusted with myself for not reading Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards twenty years ago. My best years were wasted because I thought I knew how to play pool. What a fool I was!"
Anthony Motola, Fairview, New Jersey

"The best book ever written on both pool and billiards. Should be on every player's shelf between the Bible and Shakespeare."
Michael Ian Shamos, billiard historian and Curator of The Billiard Archive, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"I can't imagine a more entertaining or well-written instructional book. I've spent many happy hours poring over its pages."
Gary Lechner, Sioux City, Iowa

"Clear diagrams, great graphics, and a writing style that is both engaging and deeply informed put this book in a class by itself. I recommend it to all my students no matter how good they think they are."
Fran Crimi, BCA Master Instructor, Crimi Billiard Academy, New York City, New York

"Robert Byrne's book is the Bible! The definitive and complete work on all the Games of pool and billiards, games I've been plying for fifty years!"
Jerry Orbach, actor, Star of Law and Order

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The new standard book of pool and billiards.... by Robert Byrne.
I think there's enough information in that book to keep you busy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Players Think of Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards

"Marooned on a desert island with only a pool table? This is the book you should have grabbed when the ship sank."
"Chef Anton" Riniti, Twice U.S. Trick Shot Champion, Alta Loma, California

"Even after forty years of playing pool, I didn't know half of what was explained in Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. I can't begin to explain how much I enjoyed it."
Fred King, Jackson, Michigan

"I'm disgusted with myself for not reading Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards twenty years ago. My best years were wasted because I thought I knew how to play pool. What a fool I was!"
Anthony Motola, Fairview, New Jersey

"The best book ever written on both pool and billiards. Should be on every player's shelf between the Bible and Shakespeare."
Michael Ian Shamos, billiard historian and Curator of The Billiard Archive, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"I can't imagine a more entertaining or well-written instructional book. I've spent many happy hours poring over its pages."
Gary Lechner, Sioux City, Iowa

"Clear diagrams, great graphics, and a writing style that is both engaging and deeply informed put this book in a class by itself. I recommend it to all my students no matter how good they think they are."
Fran Crimi, BCA Master Instructor, Crimi Billiard Academy, New York City, New York

"Robert Byrne's book is the Bible! The definitive and complete work on all the Games of pool and billiards, games I've been plying for fifty years!"
Jerry Orbach, actor, Star of Law and Order

Thanks very much! I checked the Amazon "Look Inside" feature and it seems to be a lot like I am looking for. I found a VG copy on eBay for about $7.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you.

Byrne's "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards" is very good, though it's packed with so much information it's easily overwhelming. Just take your time with it. I think Phil Capelle's books are very good also, especially for strategy and position play.