Stance Advice for Wonky Back and neck

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some lower back issues. They are luckily not super bad any more, and were caused by an accident about 3 years ago.

I have just started playing pool again for about a year and a half after a 20 year layoff. I am not bad but I certainly have some issues to work through before I can be a danger to a good player again. I would say I am a solid B player now was a pretty decent A player when I stopped.

My 3 issues are:

1. Tension in right wrist
2. Eye discipline and sequencing
3. Stance and posture

It is the third I am asking about. I have times when I play really well, but then all of a sudden I will start missing. And not just missing, but missing by half a diamond. Things feel sort of right but the OB goes no where near where intended.

Playing last night I finally realized what is a main culprit there.

When I take my stance it does create tension and minor pain in my lower back, and on longer shots the nerve in my neck gets pinched which makes it hard to get my head in a position to see the ball.

What I realized is that when I am shooting, sometimes my left hip "collapses" just a little bit in the stroke. I think I am doing this subconsciously to lesser the pain in my lower back. When I do it, my right shoulder gets pushed forward and my alignment goes completely haywire. The movement is small and it does not make the setup feel that much different, so it has been a really hard thing to notice.

Any thoughts on stance adjustments to still get locked in place, but avoid this move to compensate for the back pain?

Appreciate any responses

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Is there any chance to postpone playing pool until your back issues are addressed?

Or is your back as good as it is going to get?

I have some lower back issues. They are luckily not super bad any more, and were caused by an accident about 3 years ago.

I have just started playing pool again for about a year and a half after a 20 year layoff. I am not bad but I certainly have some issues to work through before I can be a danger to a good player again. I would say I am a solid B player now was a pretty decent A player when I stopped.

My 3 issues are:

3. Stance and posture

It is the third I am asking about. I have times when I play really well, but then all of a sudden I will start missing. And not just missing, but missing by half a diamond. Things feel sort of right but the OB goes no where near where intended.

When I take my stance it does create tension and minor pain in my lower back, and on longer shots the nerve in my neck gets pinched which makes it hard to get my head in a position to see the ball.

What I realized is that when I am shooting, sometimes my left hip "collapses" just a little bit in the stroke. I think I am doing this subconsciously to lesser the pain in my lower back. When I do it, my right shoulder gets pushed forward and my alignment goes completely haywire. The movement is small and it does not make the setup feel that much different, so it has been a really hard thing to notice.

Any thoughts on stance adjustments to still get locked in place, but avoid this move to compensate for the back pain?

Appreciate any responses

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any chance to postpone playing pool until your back issues are addressed?

Or is your back as good as it is going to get?

Its pretty much as good as it gets. There was a long period I could barely move, but while I am not running a marathon any time soon, I live relatively pain free and can be reasonable active. The pain from playing pool is not bad, but just enough to get me to compensate without really noticing it.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

My 3 issues are:

3. Stance and posture

Appreciate any responses

1. Careful on how low you bend in the stance. Bending very low does not enhance the sighting or stroking for many players.

2. Are you bending from the waist or hip joints? Many people think they bend from the hip joints but do not: http://thepowerofposture.net/bending/

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a tricky one, especially sight unseen.

Try thinking of your stance in terms of where your torso is facing. If your feet are planted where one is substantially in front of the other, then your torso is probably facing your cue stick and you will have to twist your body to face the table. That might not be the best stance for a bad back.

If there is a small distance between your front and back foot --- vertical-wise-- but still shoulder-width apart, then your torso is probably facing the table more which is more in line with the human physiognomy, and it might not put so much pressure on your back.

Start with your back foot on the line of the shot and adjust the front foot accordingly. Watch how your torso turns as you move that front foot.

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a tricky one, especially sight unseen.

Try thinking of your stance in terms of where your torso is facing. If your feet are planted where one is substantially in front of the other, then your torso is probably facing your cue stick and you will have to twist your body to face the table. That might not be the best stance for a bad back.

If there is a small distance between your front and back foot --- vertical-wise-- but still shoulder-width apart, then your torso is probably facing the table more which is more in line with the human physiognomy, and it might not put so much pressure on your back.

Start with your back foot on the line of the shot and adjust the front foot accordingly. Watch how your torso turns as you move that front foot.

Ill try that tonght

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If it’s going to be a permanent issue then the typical stances may not cut it.....is there any position that you can stand and swing your arm at the elbow with no remorse?

It’s an odd thought crossing my mind, if I had back issues that I could play through but then would cause pain and make my game breakdown or would I do something drastic like stand tall and learn to chicken wing....or maybe a combination....pok pok pok normal pok pok normal....every cinch ball lol.

A side arm stroke is a pendulum just the same....never really seen anyone grip a cue tight with a chicken wing either...

Food for thought

I’m not recommending just tossing that out there....it’s a legitimate question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk