Break from the box

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time to get this forum going again!
So I've been usually shooting a little low right from the top right corner of the kitchen. I have been struggling with consistently making a ball. I am using a samsara tip. Any ideas on how to improve? Any other spots to try? Racks have been tight with a template.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Time to get this forum going again!
So I've been usually shooting a little low right from the top right corner of the kitchen. I have been struggling with consistently making a ball. I am using a samsara tip. Any ideas on how to improve? Any other spots to try? Racks have been tight with a template.

Try adjusting the speed of your break. You will find that there is a sweet spot for your table. If your are CRUSHING the break hit it at half speed and see what that does. Are you cut breaking or hitting them square? That makes a difference too, try out different ways and speeds and see what works best.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, the reason for breaking from the box is to decrease the percentage of making a ball on the break. I'm not sure what the percentage of success is for top players from the box but I suggest that you get a realistic view of what percentage is considered good before you knock yourself out thinking there's something wrong with you.

It's hard to be consistently successful from the box. In addition to adjusting your break speed, you can also try one tip of left or right side spin, or one tip higher or lower. But the farther away from center or one tip below, the more chance of losing the cue ball to a scratch. You will have to decide how much of a trade-off you're willing to make. Parking the cue ball dead center without making a ball is only going to help your opponent.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice thx for the insight Jim, very well said Fran. Keep it coming folks