The bendy cue break

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As seen yesterday in WCOP from Mark Beisterboch of Holland, but also more famously, Mike Sigel.

When I break with that much draw, the CB comes back quite a bit - not the nearly-perfect squat like in a couple of Beisterboch's WCOP breaks. Is it a question of forward momentum (power), then all that draw cancels it out, for the squat? Or is it the slightly bouncing CB as it hits the rack?

This is probably covered in some training videos, so maybe secrets can't be revealed here. If not, then just this - how many have been able to get good results like this?

Thanks.

p.s. I am also wary of what happens to my cloth as I practice sliding my shaft so hard into it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it's more of a downward stroke through the cb that just looks like a draw shot because the practice strokes are cued low. And then the hit is near center or slightly above, forcing the cb to hop into the 1 ball and pop up a little before squatting still. The cue stick coming down through the ball gets pushed down against the slate and bends. I took a beautiful picture once of a buddy of mine on his break. The cue shaft bent so much that it looked like it would break in half.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Is it a question of forward momentum (power), then all that draw cancels it out, for the squat?
This is a side note; not trying to answer your main question:

The CB's forward momentum on the break is entirely stopped by its collision with the rack (assuming it hits the head ball straight on) - in fact, the CB bounces off the rack back toward the shooter a little.

pj
chgo

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The “bendy break” as you called it happens from a pendulum style stroke with a closed bridge and the hands kept on the table even tho there’s a little rise in the stance at the end....which forces the shaft to bend because it’s locked in the planted hand.

Nothing magic about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro