Unknown ID help.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked this up from a buddy at the pool hall, it was his break cue that he rarely used. He bought this cue and a Pete Ohman of Omen cues in 1992 at the Golden cue.

Specs are
58" even split
1.25" ivory ferrule
Nicely shaped 3/8x10 pin
Recessed bumper with a square slotted deck style screw into wood.
Fat. .875 at the joint, 1.11" at the top of the handle(14" down from the joint), 1.25" (3" above the buttcap) and 1.45" at the buttcap
Exceptional shaft wood. 13mm for the first 6", then it slowly increases. Nice taper.
Overall very clean work.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a varney? May be tough to ever find out for sure with such a commonly built/styled conversion cue. The long ferrule may be the only giveaway. Looks nice tho!

jonpador

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on the tapers, joint collars, type of 3/8x10, ferrule, and choice of bumper. Also considering the cue makers in the northwest I think its a Rich Benson. Also thought this could be a Roger Pettit but the taper sizes you listed would be to big.

Last edited:

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like it was well made. But unless the cue maker who did it has it in his hands, I highly doubt any positive ID. It was converted using a blank that is probably the most converted cue on the planet. Not to mention that the pin has been used for decades. Almost every cue maker has converted one of these cues at some poi got in their career, as did novice hobbyists. Save yourself some headaches. Don't worry about it. Use it as a bar cue. Probably plays nice. Unless there are some markings or something that could be used as hints, I wouldn't worry about the ID.