Need help changing weight on Schon cue

mode101

Registered
I have a STL9 I purchased around 2003. The cue currently weights around 20oz I want to change the weight of the cue. I watched the video Schon provides and removed the bumper cap and see the weight bolt. I confirmed that a magnet did stick to the bolt, so it is steel. I tried to loosen this bolt but it would not budge. I did not want to put a lot of force into it for fear of damaging my cue. I was using the largest blade screwdriver I have.

Do you have a suggestion on how to remove the bolt without damage? I would like to get the cue down to around 19oz if possible. I was going to use the aluminum bolt I saw on their website.

The video shows a soldering iron on the bolt.. not sure about that route lol

any advice appreciated

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a STL9 I purchased around 2003. The cue currently weights around 20oz I want to change the weight of the cue. I watched the video Schon provides and removed the bumper cap and see the weight bolt. I confirmed that a magnet did stick to the bolt, so it is steel. I tried to loosen this bolt but it would not budge. I did not want to put a lot of force into it for fear of damaging my cue. I was using the largest blade screwdriver I have.

Do you have a suggestion on how to remove the bolt without damage? I would like to get the cue down to around 19oz if possible. I was going to use the aluminum bolt I saw on their website.

The video shows a soldering iron on the bolt.. not sure about that route lol

any advice appreciated

The soldering iron will work....
"just be sure to keep the iron directly on the bolt- don't allow it to contact the plastic butt cap- it can possibly melt it"

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can also try putting a pair of pliers on the screwdriver handle to get a little more leverage while allowing you to put some extra downward pressure on the screw.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original bolt is pretty sticky. I had my cue repair guy do it because I didn't want to mess it up. He said there was a slight amount of something similar to lock-tite on the threads. You won't ruin your cue, try using a ratchet with a screw driver bit to get more torque.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a ratchet handle with a screw bit, and that didn't work for me.

A minute or two with the soldering iron, that was enough to loosen the glue.

But mine was an aluminum bolt, and aluminum and SS threads are always more likely to grab and stick to stuff, than steel.

However, be warned: with only a minute on the iron, once I replaced the bolt, the buttcap was never perfectly flush anymore. I'm sure nobody but me would notice, but my eyes and fingers go right to it. Depends on how picky you are, but for the 1 ounce I gained, it was not worth it.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I tried a ratchet handle with a screw bit, and that didn't work for me.

A minute or two with the soldering iron, that was enough to loosen the glue.

But mine was an aluminum bolt, and aluminum and SS threads are always more likely to grab and stick to stuff, than steel.

However, be warned: with only a minute on the iron, once I replaced the bolt, the buttcap was never perfectly flush anymore. I'm sure nobody but me would notice, but my eyes and fingers go right to it. Depends on how picky you are, but for the 1 ounce I gained, it was not worth it.

Indexing the buttcap can be done carefully, or just use painter's tape to hold it onto the cue while swapping the bolt