Silver Member
i just got my ob carbon shaft
if it starts to feel "gritty"
how do i slick it ?
i know i cant use qwiz....:cool:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lens wipes are really good as they are very low abrasion. Chalk with the cue tip down or on its side keeps most of the chalk off the shaft.
Clean dry hands helps a lot. If you get sweaty hands, wear a glove.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just got my ob carbon shaft
if it starts to feel "gritty"
how do i slick it ?
i know i cant use qwiz....:cool:

I just rotate mine while I am screaming at it. My Covid loaded spit flies all over it. Then I just wipe it down! :thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Might not be a good idea to use lens cleaners

My Cynergy shaft cautions against using water and says alcohol must be at least 75%, leaving out all of the common 70% wipes that are far cheaper than the ones they are selling. I'm still sure there are some much cheaper alcohol wipes out there, I just haven't found them yet. The 70% wipes are smaller put still big enough to clean a shaft and cost a few cents each.

The lens cleaners I use aren't alcohol based and I have no idea if they are safe to use on the carbon fiber shafts. The shafts are too expensive to find out and if one was to shatter in my bridge hand when hitting a cue ball I would think there would be a real danger of injury. Trying to dig carbon fiber out of my hand doesn't sound like fun!

Everybody has to decide for themselves but I would think those not wanting to pay for the name brand wipes might be best off to buy some 90% or higher alcohol and use it with dry wipes. Will probably have to order off the net, I haven't seen any alcohol on a local shelf for months except some literally no name 70% stuff at over seven dollars a pint!

One more caution, it may be tempting to buy bulk if you find a supplier for 75% plus pads. If you do, split with other people and share the cost. I have used the little 70% packets for years and haven't found a brand that won't dry out fairly fast. I wouldn't buy over a one year supply.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Cynergy shaft cautions against using water and says alcohol must be at least 75%, leaving out all of the common 70% wipes that are far cheaper than the ones they are selling. I'm still sure there are some much cheaper alcohol wipes out there, I just haven't found them yet. The 70% wipes are smaller put still big enough to clean a shaft and cost a few cents each.

The lens cleaners I use aren't alcohol based and I have no idea if they are safe to use on the carbon fiber shafts. The shafts are too expensive to find out and if one was to shatter in my bridge hand when hitting a cue ball I would think there would be a real danger of injury. Trying to dig carbon fiber out of my hand doesn't sound like fun!

Everybody has to decide for themselves but I would think those not wanting to pay for the name brand wipes might be best off to buy some 90% or higher alcohol and use it with dry wipes. Will probably have to order off the net, I haven't seen any alcohol on a local shelf for months except some literally no name 70% stuff at over seven dollars a pint!

One more caution, it may be tempting to buy bulk if you find a supplier for 75% plus pads. If you do, split with other people and share the cost. I have used the little 70% packets for years and haven't found a brand that won't dry out fairly fast. I wouldn't buy over a one year supply.

Hu
Lens wipes(with alcohol, come both ways) work perfect and won't damage shaft. I know a few cf owners and they've been using the Zeiss wipes since they got their shafts.

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The alcohol should be Iso Propyl alcohol, and Not denatured alcohol or methanol. Often denatured alcohol has methanol in it as a denaturing agent. Both Methanol and ethanol alcohols are solvents for epoxy and polyester resins.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
makes sense re: carbon fiber
I've actually been using zeiss, etc. wipes on my wood shafts for years
wipe wet, wipe dry..they work great for cleaning, keep shafts smooth
I've been watching to see if anything's gotten particularly dried out or anything
haven't noticed any ill effects yet..
anybody know if there might be, maybe down the road?
anybody else clean their cue wood similarly?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
no problems for me

makes sense re: carbon fiber
I've actually been using zeiss, etc. wipes on my wood shafts for years
wipe wet, wipe dry..they work great for cleaning, keep shafts smooth
I've been watching to see if anything's gotten particularly dried out or anything
haven't noticed any ill effects yet..
anybody know if there might be, maybe down the road?
anybody else clean their cue wood similarly?

Some of my wooden shafts were sealed, some weren't. Never had any problems. The wipe can raise the grain a little bit, a firm dry rub lays it right back down. I have used the alcohol wipes for many years, kept them in my case. Probably some dried out ones in there still if I dig. No telling, been years since I have emptied out that case!

Hu

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for all the suggestions
monday i will call OB and let you know what they tell me

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep a small bottle of 70% alcohol in my case, and use a small amount with a napkin from the pool hall.

I have two Becue Prime M's I use it on.

It works great too... and cheap.

If you want it really slick use a small amount of Cue Silk on it... it will last about 8 hours.

Then you have to clean it and use Cue Silk again.

Just let the Cue Silk dry for about a minute or so and then rub the shaft quickly with a napkin for about 10 seconds.

In between cleaning and reapplying. Just rub shaft with a napkin for 5 - 6 seconds and that will make it slick again

It will be VERY slick.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I keep a small bottle of 70% alcohol in my case, and use a small amount with a napkin from the pool hall.

I have two Becue Prime M's I use it on.

It works great too... and cheap.

If you want it really slick use a small amount of Cue Silk on it... it will last about 8 hours.

Then you have to clean it and use Cue Silk again.

Just let the Cue Silk dry for about a minute or so and then rub the shaft quickly with a napkin for about 10 seconds.

In between cleaning and reapplying. Just rub shaft with a napkin for 5 - 6 seconds and that will make it slick again

It will be VERY slick.
Thanks for your advice....:thumbup:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
issue solved for me.

I just solved the cleaning issue for myself. Ordered a gallon of 99.9% medical grade isopropyl alcohol. I figure a little of that on a paper towel and I will be in business or I can cut it to seventy-five or eighty percent. My CF shaft doesn't seem to pick up much chalk or dirt and cleans easily with a dry cloth or paper towel if it starts feeling a little gummy anyway.

A good bit of the advice in this thread goes directly against the instructions that came with my Cynergy shaft. At the least, admission of these practices would probably void a warranty if your shaft came with similar instructions. I am going to stick to the over 75% isopropyl alcohol and zero slick'ms.

Hu