Cleaned Aramith Continental Pool balls in Dawn and having issue

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

In the thread I posted about my Son buying his Olhausen table , when he bought it the table came without balls. So We had a old set of Aramith Continental balls and a measle cue ball , We washed them in warm water with Dawn to clean them up and dried them. The cloth on the table is original from 1994 and it is not to bad but wore a little. It seems we are getting alot of burn marks on the felt , would polishing these balls help reduce that effect, or is just the cloth being old and worn some the issue. He has a new set of Aramith Crowns coming but won't get them until next friday. My question is will polishing help to reduce the burn on the felt. Thanks

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These ?

E3AA9BF6-A54F-4546-889D-AB495C0085EB.jpeg

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sure polished balls are better than dirty balls on the cloth but a good stroke will also help.
Use an extra piece of cloth under the cue when breaking to prevent the burn

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cloth is from 1994?!?

Worrying about burn marks on that is like worrying about scratches on the paint of a car from 1994.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball quality matters most. Cheaper balls eat cloths. Aramith Duramith tournament will not do spots easily. The mark is burning mark that comes from friction between stroked ball and cloth. I believe difference between heat of friction between Duramith and cheap ones is hundreds of degrees.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balls can help but its cheap cloth. That gets burn marks easily

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my direct experience...

Dish soap is no good for pool balls. It removed the slick outer layer of mah balls.

Aramith does make both polishing and "restoring' compounds. Perhaps the latter will be useful now but I don't see how it could be a permanent fix...

The texture of the balls or lack thereof is going to be the #1 factor of burn marks.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do people use dish wash soap on anything other than it was intended?

You'll have to get a new set of balls. As was pointed out in an earlier post, the dish was soap ruined them. If you are on a budget, people have had a very positive experience with the Dynaspheres Tungsten set. You can't beat them for under $100. If you aren't on a budget, any quality set will last a decade or more in home use.

As for the burn marks on the cloth, it's part of the game but your now abrasive balls are making it more pronounced.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cloth is from 1994?!?

Worrying about burn marks on that is like worrying about scratches on the paint of a car from 1994.

My thoughts exactly. Heck, this is the perfect opportunity to put more burn marks down before putting the new cloth on. Use this time to practice jumps and masse. Wear that cloth out! Make it look like Bert Kinister's table cloth.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your car dealer will tell you not to use dish washer detergents/soaps washing automobiles.
Never wash your car in Dawn or anything like that if you’re concerned about the paint finish.

It erodes & damages the paint & removes protective finish. It’s by definition an abrasive soap.
Dishwasher soaps accelerate the oxidation process and it also produces a dull looking finish.

Using dishwasher soap for cleaning pool balls will remove surface dirt but it is deleterious to the
finish. Don’t be a cheapskate and just buy a pool ball conditioner and a polish like Aramith offers.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending upon how the condition was before using the Dawn detergent, the condition will be improved.
You likely will need both the Aramith Restorer & Aramith Conditioner. Use the Restorer 1st, then the polish.

Billiards heaven (ebay seller) has both listed with micro cloth for $30.00 shipped. Pool Dawg sells them for
about $12 each plus tax and shipping. It is the truly best product for maintaining the condition of pool balls.

p.s. The actual eBay price was $27.99 with free shipping but eBay will automatically add CA sales tax.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
In my direct experience...

Dish soap is no good for pool balls. It removed the slick outer layer of mah balls.

Aramith does make both polishing and "restoring' compounds. Perhaps the latter will be useful now but I don't see how it could be a permanent fix...

The texture of the balls or lack thereof is going to be the #1 factor of burn marks.

This is the right answer. Stop using dish soap, Clorox Bleach, or what have you on your balls. Most of the time a damp paper towel wipe is fine. Now and then, a little Aramith Ball Polish is ok, but no need to do it very often Make sure the cloth and pockets are clean in the first place. Then, get down on your knees, and clean the return rails. None of you do that, do you?

Stop using stuff on your balls that are not intended. Dish soap, acetone, Crisco, Clorox, or what have you. Simplicity is better.

All the best,
WW

RacerX750

Registered
Novus #1 plastic polish

Aramith polish takes too much time to buff clean, and I have a mechanical pool ball polisher. Plus it's messy.

Novus #1 plastic polish is quick and easy. It will not damage the pool balls, and it's inexpensive.

First use denatured alcohol to clean them, especially those black marks you can get with Diamond pockets.

For each dampen a rag. No need to saturate as neither takes much to do the job.

Novus polish

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-PC-10-...+polish&qid=1599675195&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

Denatured alcohol

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunnysid...NK11S_XKZmpKcIJ1BdwtnBLgJnUJj_h0aAhBUEALw_wcB

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Novus is great, if you want to play with a ball set that changes behavior extremely quickly.

"...in throw between using Aramith cleaned by hand and Novus 1 cleaned in a ball machine. The Aramith throws very consistently at 5 inches, even from the very first shot, whereas the Novus 1 throws inconsistently, and changes dramatically after fewer than 10 rolls up and down the table (10 trials). Novus "tops out" at a throw around 4 inches, but is still inconsistent well after 20 tries."

and: http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/throw.html#cling

Aramith polish takes too much time to buff clean, and I have a mechanical pool ball polisher. Plus it's messy.

Novus #1 plastic polish is quick and easy. It will not damage the pool balls, and it's inexpensive.

First use denatured alcohol to clean them, especially those black marks you can get with Diamond pockets.

For each dampen a rag. No need to saturate as neither takes much to do the job.

Novus polish

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-PC-10-...+polish&qid=1599675195&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

Denatured alcohol

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunnysid...NK11S_XKZmpKcIJ1BdwtnBLgJnUJj_h0aAhBUEALw_wcB

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno how much polish you are using and I have a Ballstar machine.
I’ve never had a problem with Aramith polish residue or buildup either.

The only thing I’ve had to do was replace the buffing pad after 6 years use.
My Centennial pool balls and the other brands I’ve polished turn out great.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno how much polish you are using and I have a Ballstar machine.
I’ve never had a problem with Aramith polish residue or buildup either.

The only thing I’ve had to do was replace the buffing pad after 6 years use.
My Centennial pool balls and the other brands I’ve polished turn out great.

I use a drop or maybe two per 8 balls, every 3 rounds or so. No issues with gunk in the diamond polisher.

I did take the interior out and wash it once though. Probably about the same time range as you did, 6 years.