Presidential Pool Tables

9BallPaul

Banned
Hello experts --

For the first time in my life, I've got the space for a table and the means to acquire one. I can see by reading this board that Diamond tables are a big favorite. And old Gold Crowns, of course. No quarrel from me.

But for my own reasons, I was attracted to Olhausen, thinking about the York or a similar semi-modern design. If price were no object, I think the Olhausen Waterfall is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

But today I visted my dealer once again and became smitten with the Presidential line made of teak. The model I like is the Charleston. I'm told I can acquire an 8-foot Charleston for less than $2,900. Compared to the Olhausen this seems a bargain. Yet it's made in Zimbabwe, of all places, and that gives me pause.

The saleslady said it was 1-inch slate, three pieces, plus African teak combined with, if I remember right, white pine. Anyway, any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
9BallPaul said:
Hello experts --

Fort the first time in my life, I've got the space for a table and the means to acquire one. I can see by reading this board that Diamond tables are a big favorite. No quarrel from me.

But for my own reasons, I was attracted to Olhausen, thinking about the York or a similar semi-modern design. If price were no object, I think the Olhausen Waterfall is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

But today I visted my dealer once again and became smitten with the Presidential line made of teak. The model I like is the Charleston. I'm told I can acquire an 8-foot Charleston for less than $2,900. Compared to the Olhausen this seems a bargain. Yet it's made in Zimbabwe, of all places, and that gives me pause.

The saleslady said it was 1-inch slate, three pieces, plus African teak combined with, if I remember right, white pine. Anyway, any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Wish I could help you, but I know nothing about these tables, but someone on here sets them up, or at least recovers the ones that have been set up at one time or another I'm sure.

Glen

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I set up some Presidential Tables a couple years ago. I did some work with an Olhausen dealer who bought some. They are not bad tables. That teak is VERY dense and heavy. The frames come pre-assembled like Olhausen. I much prefer Olhausen's frame design though. It's better supported around the edges and it's going to hold up longer. That's my opinion. The York is a beautiful table if you like the streamlined, contemporary look. I've installed Yorks in several different stains and they all look gorgeous. And the Waterfall is KILLER! A little tough on our side of things to install because once you get the slate on the frame, that big leg doesn't give you access to level it from underneath, but once you know how to level them, MAN, they look awesome! Good luck either way, I'm sure you'll find a table you'll be happy with. Let me know if you have any other questions about either table. Thanks!

santeetech

Silver Member
My vote... Presidential

I a) had Olhausen tables in my pool room and b) install Presidential tables for a living now. Whilw both tables have good frames etc the Olhausen pockets leave a lot to be desired. If you want, take a protractor with you next time and measure the angle at the end of the rail. My experience is that they will be at 145 degrees plus. Check the BSA regulation on pocket angles and you will see 141 or 142 plus or minus a degree. This is why Olhausen pockets "rattle" the ball out of the pocket. Shoot a hard draw shot down the rail on the Olhausen and the Presidential and see which one "raaaattttles" the ball.

I am not anti-Olhausen, just trying to help:cool:

Later,
Rick

FJames

Registered
https://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=16171

I saw your message dating back a few years regarding Olhausen and Presidential pool tables. I'm considering purchasing one or the other brand ( probably an 8 foot table ),and thought that with your background and experience if you would be able to advise whether or not you've noticed or heard of any ' fix ' that Olhausen may have made to its tables' pockets to reduce or eliminate the famous " rattle ", and secondly, what is your opinion of the Presidential tables as compared to Olhausens. . . any change from 10 years ago ?
Thanks.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw your message dating back a few years regarding Olhausen and Presidential pool tables. I'm considering purchasing one or the other brand ( probably an 8 foot table ),and thought that with your background and experience if you would be able to advise whether or not you've noticed or heard of any ' fix ' that Olhausen may have made to its tables' pockets to reduce or eliminate the famous " rattle ", and secondly, what is your opinion of the Presidential tables as compared to Olhausens. . . any change from 10 years ago ?
Thanks.

Welcome to AZB! I hope you get an answer. I'm curious, but I'm all set with a table.

By the way, the original post was 12 years ago!

You could take a protractor to a dealer and measure two things: the angle of the cushion at the corner pockets, and also the "down angle" (not sure of the term, but the angle of the pocket facings from vertical.

You can get a machinist's protractor for $10 to $15 (Look for brand name General.)

Last edited: