Can I use wood for joint collars?

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if using wood for joint collars would work, or would the rings be likely to split? I have some designs in my mind that I'd like to try building, using joint rings made of woods like cocobolo, rosewood, etc., but I wanted to make sure first that I wasn't heading down a path leading to sadness.

Thanks!
-- Kevin

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if using wood for joint collars would work, or would the rings be likely to split? I have some designs in my mind that I'd like to try building, using joint rings made of woods like cocobolo, rosewood, etc., but I wanted to make sure first that I wasn't heading down a path leading to sadness.

Thanks!
-- Kevin

Kevin, I have used wood for joint collars with no issues. My brother- in-law has been playing with one for two years now.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
-- Kevin

I often use wood but I core everything with phenolic,

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often use wood but I core everything with phenolic,

Just to clarify, do you mean a phenolic ring under the wood ring? For example, a phenolic ring maybe .750" OD, then a wood ring with a .750" ID and .850" OD?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify, do you mean a phenolic ring under the wood ring? For example, a phenolic ring maybe .750" OD, then a wood ring with a .750" ID and .850" OD?

Yes Sir, I actually like .100 difference between the phenolic and the wood, if the outer piece is thicker, better for you.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the phenolic method too whenever I'm using wood on one of the ends. Sometimes if I need a ring the same color of the phenolic, I will incorporate the sleeve, and ring into one piece. I've done this with a piece of wood between the ring and a collar as well, making them all into a one piece unit when said and done.