Restoring set of red rubber drop pockets for Anniversary

lawnmowerhombre

Registered
I have acquired a set of the original red pockets for Brunswick Anniversary. Any links or tips on restoring and cleaning these up. They arent in terrible shape just original shape:)

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts pics, before and after the clean up. I’m interested in some for my Anniversary. Thanks!

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The red ones on my Anniversary are in original shape as well, but so is the table so mine will stay as is. Will enjoy seeing rejuvenated ones, though.

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also curious, mine are original as well. Love the sound of a ball hitting the back of those pockets. I thought about freshening them up but was concerned about what ever I used transferring on to the balls. Let us know how things work out.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Get some rubber restorer or plastic restorer from a car parts store. Slowly work these in with a throwaway cotton cloth

Start on the bottoms to make sure you're not using a compound that hurts the material. I have had luck with generic stuff from AutoZone or wherever.

I'll look and see if I still have it, it was years ago and the pockets were pliable when I was done. I also stuck some rubber jar openers in the bottoms of the pockets to help muffle the sound and soften the impact on the pockets themselves

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told be a well regarded mechanic that a rag with turpentine, followed by a watered rag is highly effective.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Also curious, mine are original as well. Love the sound of a ball hitting the back of those pockets. I thought about freshening them up but was concerned about what ever I used transferring on to the balls. Let us know how things work out.

I liked playing on those old Anniversaries for the same reason...you drilled one dead center...
...sounded like a rifle shot.
...most of the ones I played on were 6x12s...wood rails...from the late 40s, early 50s.
..I was told that part of the composition was Bakelite...hence the loud sound.
...and they had a little nub inside the pocket to stop balls from bouncing back out.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a set of red pockets on my centennial table.
mine are probably not as nice as the original,in fact they are possibly too red

none the less I love mine.I think you will be happy that you took the time .
In the event that your searching discovers another set or two of the original,please contact me

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time to replace?

I don't have an Anniversary or Centennial.... we have a 1960's Sport King.

When we restored the table 6 or 8 years ago, I used Meguiars Vinyl & Rubber cleaner and conditioner which you can buy at NAPA or most auto parts stores; it does a pretty decent job of bringing life back to these old rubber pockets.

But, this past year a couple of the original pockets had developed splits down the back; so, I decided it was time to replace them with a set from Classic Billiards. Ken Hash recommended their SP/BOSSE pockets which are a softer material, they look great and fit perfectly!

-GUXWYnTOx4PMGRvQ9amupb97TRhmO_dibQYj5Tg9kUu_BFogenkUgHXoTS3LHFUIjdTknMh_Kw7e1IPNgW8xq4BX77PhdxHov-nXSqbtbF9KvYqHwAFGujQyTrEDOXjAtOwgYQ73QCtAXD--G-IIoHHILJRaUNDIBTprp-mHpSJ6QqKtUJZ8UYHyHtK-GqMFVK3i61RHXx8SvUbDbwOjpAYZ2CcI5s_5d2m3wlvqSd6negJFlyw50ukQKURP4P-oeW7ZE-JpueJbuIJ1hBzhRshyfkm_z-lBUjVAPlgbcdyr_6Dngq09dr6IkOoJvdgYilqywuWA-CU2IxjZAx5wsku3ItWioJ3N0J_icN_ASizoLTue8n-vdL332-7sqxR1ZdQ4wu6wUCqeDFDjgwvn1OGKkMMgkECH8SmLMWOboqbLGq4zyQYHymfdnxuX3aEc7984ObFj0wR_ZTUrQiCBt9ANTqvgoA-euRc97fDgd6eJiSBphcuG7V1htIe9Ajg5mN5_Ihnub3tzrhhcLs5nIzuyn896O1vtFUFYthw_KfM9qZuphTV5hZmGRCpT_bw3GDdFClzv5UYJfYS8cbABz1n5tim0PtvezhrjGqUFfvLx4X3tF0Xwwv8luYHQwZ3OOjhKaYO5-qvVhyXTpURZfWLYmoj-Iq49A2_askPieB9m2pRMETWgpjywfVJuO0JN7_5OzqLgQ5SxKnl7P9D2ejrXUfMzp5DClxnKb_pz9gl0B0qMg=w585-h870-no
eedgPsVgyeiSXH4xew9eREyxxlq5DxcMjEYeKvkkq5qU19d8sWVqKg_PnCdW0xBA8TAvscWN4RKD2IX0zHnBPX3g0OM1xc35cVr_KIIWa5bPMASVDNx4ZG4Hg5rJ1uIkmGqTmvdhHkjzuq71-Xmgwjy05n0Cn3_zo3KVjERT6bl0IYXUBmnu8KvZNT3VwG1QEmsA-sGuiI0m-pvBvfTx3A7x0oQu-MFlB7RaGuFgXj_gbh5RF-vLeW2xPsdWz7_DEigmXD0sQx2Sh9wy8ldytVmuNBcrofPunGU--mVtDTMI8TMnsC6yED1Dq_2vryazF2Yyhnn830bSbZwpT1CHTOlG2WfjMTvkGAR9Ja_sXJpJ1VVQmRAsQdv_5Ut_qm7V5KM6UwPNHBNitltiKYa9ue_WP3jrHHOMYRS7ot6yiATGpRbNNtBjQhG6YFG9hKurvLXzwN9a6ja2GRVMFd_735oSHDdkzFQ4gLgJzOR-G7obmhH7i9gOEZ1NUuCgTR1mMZM1WbEqacNCV6v3qkKBTn734h4ucNJ41cnglA-cj5SSpVtJ4QFpe-beMPzXDEG90lL1SZzfaF_P9Ha1HstB0HecWVqOoTyqBLMQHndjWd3YgwCCGG1SaMX-jqGi-Oy6gvU5kPx-69aTxpo5gHQQVyjyvVFBo1bYwPFttGgpmzZY_wk-JlqM8DHWkn-lfmYYnpJ2vhiqfSaoqezkaZJLsyHBiQG8NOdcUDq1F1LS0XOgDhVg1Q=w558-h870-no

More info here >>> https://www.classicbilliards.net/pockets/antique.html

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
66ff012dba35ed28d4af439daec9fb17.jpg

Those new pockets liners are good ones. The fit is amazing, even on 4-1/2” corners, but there is just something about those original maroon pockets that I like better than the modern ones. I wish they still made them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk