Carbon Fiber with draw.....Measles vs Red Circle

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
With the way this MB cue ball reacts, it feels like you Have to have a CF shaft to draw the ball as needed. I have an LD shaft non CF, and when I switched to the Red Circle Belgium cue ball vs the Measles, I was then able to draw my ball as needed. With the MB....not possible....like night/day.

Comments...........

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Thx....what tip will you be using?

I will try with 2 cues:

60" Arnot Q custom with an OB1 shaft and a Moori Medium
68" Predator Cognac with a 314-2 shaft and a Kamui Clear SS

I will post it on YouTube and add the link here for you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
With the way this MB cue ball reacts, it feels like you Have to have a CF shaft to draw the ball as needed. I have an LD shaft non CF, and when I switched to the Red Circle Belgium cue ball vs the Measles, I was then able to draw my ball as needed. With the MB....not possible....like night/day.

Comments...........
Are the balls the same size? 1/16" difference in diameter = 9% more/less weight.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to play with measel and red-circle. Never noticed any difference in this regard.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Ive been using the measles ball for over a decade at home... have no trouble with draw with my main wood shaft or with my CF Revo. Both have a Precision Medium tip on it.

At my local poolhall they use the red circle, no problems with draw there either.

See my disclaimer.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Make sure the MB is a true Aramith, and not a Chinese knock off.

It's real measles....Aramith Blister pac retail $45. All new Aramith ball set, all new blue Simonis cloth, all new cushions.

Someone gave me a knock off before the table was set. I hit it 8 times into a piece of foam, it had 8 permanent abrasions from each time I hit it. Called the seller, he sent me a new blister pack M.B..

Island Drive

Silver Member
I will try with 2 cues:

60" Arnot Q custom with an OB1 shaft and a Moori Medium
68" Predator Cognac with a 314-2 shaft and a Kamui Clear SS

I will post it on YouTube and add the link here for you.

Your swingin' allot more wood than I am. Mine is a 58 inch 19 oz Kikel, I've been using since 89. Donny Mills did a video, with I think 9 balls parallel to the spot line. He shot each one, and drew the cue ball each time too or near the head rail, with his Mezz ignite carbon shaft/Exceed cue stick. I have a big swing like him and easily drew my ball like that till I quit playing in the late 90's, but the conditions are Quite different than when I played in the Worlds in Chicago in the 90's. I just might need a bigger club.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I recall a few years ago a pool room owner was telling me he didn't like to use the measle ball because it was too lively and too easy to get a ton of action with them. I've never hit a ball with one. My league has been using cyclop balls past 5 years and we've been through 3 different cue balls and now using the Hyperion set and I've gotten pretty much same results with any combo using English.

Island Drive

Silver Member
I recall a few years ago a pool room owner was telling me he didn't like to use the measle ball because it was too lively and too easy to get a ton of action with them. I've never hit a ball with one. My league has been using cyclop balls past 5 years and we've been through 3 different cue balls and now using the Hyperion set and I've gotten pretty much same results with any combo using English.

Your definitely able to transfer spin to you object ball quite easily, and even more so as the ball picks up dirt, which it does QUICKLY.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your swingin' allot more wood than I am. Mine is a 58 inch 19 oz Kikel, I've been using since 89. Donny Mills did a video, with I think 9 balls parallel to the spot line. He shot each one, and drew the cue ball each time too or near the head rail, with his Mezz ignite carbon shaft/Exceed cue stick. I have a big swing like him and easily drew my ball like that till I quit playing in the late 90's, but the conditions are Quite different than when I played in the Worlds in Chicago in the 90's. I just might need a bigger club.

Even with a smooth stroke, a person will have issues if their "stroke-speed" doesn't match their needs.

Jeff

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Comments...........

Can you weigh them? I don't have the same results.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Can you weigh them? I don't have the same results.

I'm outta town till next week. Both balls are new, MB has about 60 hrs of play, the new Belgium Red Circle was purchased this past Saturday.

You have ALLOT more wood moving than I.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Comments...........

You are aging and have a weaker stroke compared to your youth. Or you aren’t hitting the same. Let’s put this to a real test. Got the predator break app? It allows you to set a custom distance. Set up a shot for comfortable distance max draw shot. Using a 10mph stroke speed, hit each cue ball 30 times trying to get max draw. And I mean 30 tries with 10~mph. Not tried with 9mph, or 11mph. You should have your answer without any of this silly opinion shit.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are aging and have a weaker stroke compared to your youth. Or you aren’t hitting the same. Let’s put this to a real test. Got the predator break app? It allows you to set a custom distance. Set up a shot for comfortable distance max draw shot. Using a 10mph stroke speed, hit each cue ball 30 times trying to get max draw. And I mean 30 tries with 10~mph. Not tried with 9mph, or 11mph. You should have your answer without any of this silly opinion shit.

Ouch. That’s pretty brutal

Island Drive

Silver Member
Ouch. That’s pretty brutal

:p..........................:thumbup:

His post gave me a good laugh before bed.

At least the app guy didn't stick it too me. :D

I totally understand....being from the western slope.

I don't even know the man....I'd post up against anyone from the western slope, if he can prove it with his ID being current.

We could do a little trifecta like Busty/Bergman, On a 9 footer of my choice, since I'm old.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is his third thread on this and all pretty recent to boot. He has refused to weigh the balls to see the potential difference there. So $5 for an app and an hour of his time to get this topic over with.

Most likely a slight weight difference between the two cueballs.