A great and unusual experience yesterday .

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In another thread i replied to a post from celophanewraps inquiry about our regional qualifier but i thought one thing i experienced deserved its own thread.

After not doing too well in our qualifier i decided to hang around and enter a 9 ball tournament. Didnt fare well in my first match but this post is all about my second and final match.

When my name was called cor the second match and went up to the counter to recieve the scoresheet i was told....i feel sorry for you. I looked at the name of my opponent and said aww crap and he started laughing. I drawed one of the best players in our area.

Well he won the lag and zure enough the match startex off about like i expected with him putting a 3 pack on me and a couple of 9 on the breaks along with a few other balls. When i racked one of the racks and he was looking over the rack while i put the rack in the tray i said i wish i knew what to look for when inspecting the rack. He said come over here and explained how he was lookng for any cracks and what ball was placed where and he told me where he was going to break from after looking at this particular rack.

Well i finally got to rack later in the match and afted he racked he called me over and again explained how the rack looked and told me where to break from. Fellas i have to say i was floored upon him giving me this advice. He repeated this. Couple more timez during the match. Every time i profusely expressed my thsnks and thanked him.a couple times after the match and even told his wife how much i appreciated his helped and he just smiled.

When it was all said and done i lost 75-38 and i have to tell you i really enjoyed every minute of that loss...this coming from a person who hates to lose. I shot pretty dang good that match...when i had a chance to shoot and he complimented me on several shots and safes i made.

I dont know how many times i have asked better players for advice ...mostly players i know fairly well and some who have been team mates a time or two. None seemex lime they were interested and one who i have played on a few teams with flat told me he was not interested in helping me get better and beat him more than i do now. He is a 7 -8 and yea i have won a couple matches against him. I replied if he taught me i woukd be raised and he wouldnt have to spot me 20 balls like he does now. Still was not interested after i offered to pay the tabke time and his food and drinks so ita not like i expect anything for free.

I just want to say i experienced something unheard of in the pool world ...advice fom an opponent while playing you in a money tournament.

I have looked at videos on youtube for advice on 9 ball break...dr.dave...tor lowry...even buddy hall but get discouraged when all i can do is watch because i cant make out what they say due to hearing problems.

S
Just want to give big props to a great player and a super nice guy i had the pleasure of playing yesterday. Not sure of exactly where he has placed in the u s amateures but was up toward the top i think last year. Cant thank him enough for what he showed me yesterday

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In another thread i replied to a post from celophanewraps inquiry about our regional qualifier but i thought one thing i experienced deserved its own thread.

After not doing too well in our qualifier i decided to hang around and enter a 9 ball tournament. Didnt fare well in my first match but this post is all about my second and final match.

When my name was called cor the second match and went up to the counter to recieve the scoresheet i was told....i feel sorry for you. I looked at the name of my opponent and said aww crap and he started laughing. I drawed one of the best players in our area.

Well he won the lag and zure enough the match startex off about like i expected with him putting a 3 pack on me and a couple of 9 on the breaks along with a few other balls. When i racked one of the racks and he was looking over the rack while i put the rack in the tray i said i wish i knew what to look for when inspecting the rack. He said come over here and explained how he was lookng for any cracks and what ball was placed where and he told me where he was going to break from after looking at this particular rack.

Well i finally got to rack later in the match and afted he racked he called me over and again explained how the rack looked and told me where to break from. Fellas i have to say i was floored upon him giving me this advice. He repeated this. Couple more timez during the match. Every time i profusely expressed my thsnks and thanked him.a couple times after the match and even told his wife how much i appreciated his helped and he just smiled.

When it was all said and done i lost 75-38 and i have to tell you i really enjoyed every minute of that loss...this coming from a person who hates to lose. I shot pretty dang good that match...when i had a chance to shoot and he complimented me on several shots and safes i made.

I dont know how many times i have asked better players for advice ...mostly players i know fairly well and some who have been team mates a time or two. None seemex lime they were interested and one who i have played on a few teams with flat told me he was not interested in helping me get better and beat him more than i do now. He is a 7 -8 and yea i have won a couple matches against him. I replied if he taught me i woukd be raised and he wouldnt have to spot me 20 balls like he does now. Still was not interested after i offered to pay the tabke time and his food and drinks so ita not like i expect anything for free.

I just want to say i experienced something unheard of in the pool world ...advice fom an opponent while playing you in a money tournament.

I have looked at videos on youtube for advice on 9 ball break...dr.dave...tor lowry...even buddy hall but get discouraged when all i can do is watch because i cant make out what they say due to hearing problems.

S
Just want to give big props to a great player and a super nice guy i had the pleasure of playing yesterday. Not sure of exactly where he has placed in the u s amateures but was up toward the top i think last year. Cant thank him enough for what he showed me yesterday

Do you think Joe Tucker greatly shortened his learning curve?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think Joe Tucker greatly shortened his learning curve?

I have no idea where he obtained his knowledge. I came across a video from a forum member ....sharivari ....that i believe is going to be a great learning aid on cur ball control and position play. He has a cue ball at the top if the screen that he places an x. Where he hits the cue ball for each shot. A visual aid for hearing inpaired people like me. I hope to. Ome across a similar video on inspecting 9 ball racks and where to break particular racks

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yo lo!
that's a neat story
sharing knowledge is common here
but irl it appears less so
so I understand your enthusiasm
good on ya and good on your pool pal
if more folks shared their wealth
there would be less poverty in this world

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well first, if I had someone on my team that wouldn't help me out with a question, he sure as hell wouldn't be a team mate the next go round. Sounds like this guy was a jerk deluxe. Being nice doesn't cost a person a single penny.

Back when I started playing many years ago, no one, and I mean no one would give you any help. As a matter of fact, they would tell you some crazy shit that if you tried it 100 times it would never work. Kind of like asking for directions and they tell you to take a right, when they knew darn well it was left. Things have changed a lot since then, and thankfully most people are only too willing to help someone or answer their questions, at least where I play (and there are some pretty sporty players that play there).

Glad to hear someone in the pool world was not a *****, unlike your team mate.