One Pocket - Wow

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also … for those of you on FakeBook, there is a 1P group there. I recall not much traffic on it though.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also … for those of you on FakeBook, there is a 1P group there. I recall not much traffic on it though.

Yeah, there's one that's run by Steve Booth. (onepocket.org Facebook group). The other one called "One Pocket Billiards" is run by a guy that has a screw loose.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally speaking, I love these T-Rex videos coming out.

Same with a lot of the Scott Frost videos.

You get all these young guys that watch them and think it's the right way to play 1pocket. Well, maybe, if you're Scott Frost or Tony Cohan. But if you're an average pool player -- shooting all the crazy ca-ca multi-rail, many ball shots -- is like manna from heaven for the rest of us :)

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Generally speaking, I love these T-Rex videos coming out.

Same with a lot of the Scott Frost videos.

You get all these young guys that watch them and think it's the right way to play 1pocket. Well, maybe, if you're Scott Frost or Tony Cohan. But if you're an average pool player -- shooting all the crazy ca-ca multi-rail, many ball shots -- is like manna from heaven for the rest of us :)

Lou Figueroa

As a young man I was heavily influenced by Ronnie Allen, by far the most creative One Pocket player of his era. I tried to be like him, always looking for ways to move balls toward my hole, often throwing caution to the wind. It worked out pretty good for a long time and so many guys I played thought I was just lucky, and maybe I was.

As I got older and started playing better players my style of play wasn't working nearly as well. One misfire and it would cost me the game, not just two or three balls. Bad habits are hard to break and consequently I never developed a good defensive game. It was only when I got older and didn't shoot as straight that I began to see the error of my ways.

I remained second echelon most of my time as an active player, and never really was able to challenge the top players without a healthy spot. By the time I got it figured out, my time had come and gone. Thank God for Bank Pool! ;)

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As a young man I was heavily influenced by Ronnie Allen, by far the most creative One Pocket player of his era. I tried to be like him, always looking for ways to move balls toward my hole, often throwing caution to the wind. It worked out pretty good for a long time and so many guys I played thought I was just lucky, and maybe I was.

As I got older and started playing better players my style of play wasn't working nearly as well. One misfire and it would cost me the game, not just two or three balls. Bad habits are hard to break and consequently I never developed a good defensive game. It was only when I got older and didn't shoot as straight that I began to see the error of my ways.

I remained second echelon most of my time as an active player, and never really was able to challenge the top players without a healthy spot. By the time I got it figured out, my time had come and gone. Thank God for Bank Pool! ;)

It is true that a great imagination can be dangerous to a good shooter's One Pocket game. That said, a player without it will always be mediocre at best. We must all find that perfect balance between the aggressive and the defensive postures. This only comes from experience, observation, practice, and having the discipline to apply that knowledge with discipline during match play.

With practice we can either perfect these shots or discarded those shots we find unrealistic given our current skill level.This is where we each find our limitations.
A healthy thing to know!

BTW guys, thank you for the plugs. Much appreciated as always.

Cheers and stay well,

Tom

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is true that a great imagination can be dangerous to a good shooter's One Pocket game. That said, a player without it will always be mediocre at best. We must all find that perfect balance between the aggressive and the defensive postures. This only comes from experience, observation, practice, and having the discipline to apply that knowledge with discipline during match play.

With practice we can either perfect these shots or discarded those shots we find unrealistic given our current skill level.This is where we each find our limitations.
A healthy thing to know!

BTW guys, thank you for the plugs. Much appreciated as always.

Cheers and stay well,

Tom

Where were you when I needed you? :thumbup:
Thanks Tom for making one of the best books on One Pocket ever. There is a wealth of information in your book that would take most of us a lifetime to acquire.
If only I had that book forty years ago when I shot straighter than Tom Mix I would have been a champion! LOL :eek:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had never watched a full game of 1 hole until Tony/ Dennis a year or so ago. That did it for me. Tony's pace and style of play I can deal with.
I've als o never played a real or full game, just knocked a few ball at the hole with a buddy and neither cared for it.
Dad begged me to learn it and straight pool when I started at 14, (1968), but I was hard-headed.
I'm chomping at the bits to play and LEARN the game now after watching Tony/ Joshus. Filler just blew my mind, and I was betting on T.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ordered the books and dvd. Hoping lockdown lasts through the year so I can practice. Lol.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just ordered the books and dvd. Hoping lockdown lasts through the year so I can practice. Lol.

Thank you Metallicane, Confirmation email sent and package is on its way to your door!
Lockdown or no study and practice. There's no end to the learning curve. It goes on, and on, and on, and.......

Cheers,
Tom

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I don't play one pocket, but this Filler/Chohan match got my blood boiling with interest, so I went to the one pocket forum and took a look over there.

The level of savvy, knowledge and respect these people show for each other and the game is off the charts. High level stuff!

Check out this Filler/Chohan thread - starting once the match is underway:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php?threads/filler-chohan-may-12-13th.430017/page-4

Welcome to a tough, comprehensive, expansive game.

Will