Are Burl Slabs of Interest to Cue Makers

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When looking in the cue making equipment and supplies section I see exotic wood blanks listed for sale but no slabs. I have several large thick slabs of what I have been told is either amboyna or ramon that I would like to sell, and I think they would be of interest to cue makers but I'm not sure. If slabs are not generally bought by cue makers I thought I might cut them into appropriate sized blanks, but it may be better if the cue maker does the section cutting to maximize the beauty of the blank as well as the number of blanks that each slab can yield.

The slabs are all fully dry and stable, having been stored in my shop/garage for about 20 years now. I have pics, but don't have the time to figure out how to get them hosted somewhere so I can post them here. If anyone wants to post them for me let me know and I will email them to you. Or you can see the photos in my listing on the Chicago Craigslist in the Arts-Crafts section. Just search on burl slabs.

Any advice as to whether slabs or blanks would be preferable, and also any ideas as to value would be welcomed. I understand that without photos and dimensions, determining a value is difficult if not impossible. Mostly just looking for something like what a nicely figured amboyna or ramon butt blank would be worth in general.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interested, for furniture.
I saw thick stuff like that up for veneers.

You cutting into small pieces might or might not cost value.

Happy to be contacted
ehmcofab at g male dot com

smt

PS, I would promise to use any scraps for cues. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Google Burl wood for sale. Look at their prices. That should give you a starting point for pricing.

Sometimes, a high price leaves you holding the wood.

Make a nice profit and move on. JMO

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When looking in the cue making equipment and supplies section I see exotic wood blanks listed for sale but no slabs. I have several large thick slabs of what I have been told is either amboyna or ramon that I would like to sell, and I think they would be of interest to cue makers but I'm not sure. If slabs are not generally bought by cue makers I thought I might cut them into appropriate sized blanks, but it may be better if the cue maker does the section cutting to maximize the beauty of the blank as well as the number of blanks that each slab can yield.

The slabs are all fully dry and stable, having been stored in my shop/garage for about 20 years now. I have pics, but don't have the time to figure out how to get them hosted somewhere so I can post them here. If anyone wants to post them for me let me know and I will email them to you. Or you can see the photos in my listing on the Chicago Craigslist in the Arts-Crafts section. Just search on burl slabs.

Any advice as to whether slabs or blanks would be preferable, and also any ideas as to value would be welcomed. I understand that without photos and dimensions, determining a value is difficult if not impossible. Mostly just looking for something like what a nicely figured amboyna or ramon butt blank would be worth in general.

Hard to buy either or

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
has anyone heard from the OP? I messaged him a few days ago and not heard back

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent a response "want to buy" directly to his C-list ad + post above.

So far - crickets.

smt