Anybody using a low deflection shaft(cue) as their break shaft (cue)?

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the title says, anybody use or recommend a low deflection shaft for breaking? I have a 11.75 OB+pro as my playing shaft but a standard maple shaft on my break cue with samsara tip.

I definitely have subscribed to the lessen power, improve accuracy, hit the head ball flush advice. When I use my accurack, I have no problem using 50-60% speed, controlling whitey, and usually pocketing a ball or two; but when hand racked I notice I need to give a little more pop. I have not played the last two years and am just getting back into pool with a home table, so I will definitely keep practicing, but...

When I rarely break with my playing shaft in 9 ball, I feel the low deflection shaft helps my accuracy when using more power. Does anybody here use or recommend a certain low deflection shaft for breaking purposes?

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Low deflection changes cueball path when english is applied it's also typically hollow and thus weaker than solid maple.

If you're applying english on the break fix your break..

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use my playing cue to break with Z2 shaft and I gonna get low deflection cue for breaking for sure. Just so much more consistent results than normal break cue. I think it is good idea what u have there. :thumbup::cool:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low deflection changes cueball path when english is applied it's also typically hollow and thus weaker than solid maple.

Care to try and elaborate on that? The idea behind low deflection is that apply side spin no longer creates the squirt of the cb, to deflect it off the shot line. Very confused to what you’re saying??????

And if you’re applying side spin on the break, you’re either doing a cut break in 9 ball. Or a 2nd ball break in 8ball. Please don’t make statements so blatantly wrong next time.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Care to try and elaborate on that? The idea behind low deflection is that apply side spin no longer creates the squirt of the cb, to deflect it off the shot line. Very confused to what you’re saying??????

And if you’re applying side spin on the break, you’re either doing a cut break in 9 ball. Or a 2nd ball break in 8ball. Please don’t make statements so blatantly wrong next time.

The cueball still squirts just not as much

You forgot the straight pool/ one pocket break...

The buisiness end of a LD shaft is almost always hollow some are filled with foam but it is still far far weaker than a normal maple shaft and will not stand up to breaking for long.. especially in the hit em hard and hope school of thought that the majority of players use..

Please expound on all of the " blatantly wrong" points I have made... I'm not seeing any..

nsafellow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 13.5mm Jacoby hybrid edge shaft that I had them make for me.

I wondered if a low deflection shaft would make a good break shaft

It does and I like it

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nobody should be applying sidespin on the break on purpose, but many of us apply it by accident during a less-than-perfect stroke into the ball. This is where an LD break shaft can help. For more info, see the 4th bullet here:

advantages of LD shafts

Regards,
Dave

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever tried Predator BK 3 for example? Its shaft has fairly low deflection. I don't even mention those break cues with CF shafts available now but if your main concern is accuracy BK 3 is a good choice for less money comparing to those with CF.