Solid Leather Tips

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAD solid tips... I think they're water buffalo, with a fiber back... love 'em.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Milkduds made from Elkmaster's and Outsville's Ki-Techs.

My preference is moving toward the Ki-Techs as I have recently started using them. I have been playing with Milkduds for years.

Who is a fan of solid leather cue tips and which ones do you prefer?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Milkduds made from Elkmaster's and Outsville's Ki-Techs.

My preference is moving toward the Ki-Techs as I have recently started using them. I have been playing with Milkduds for years.

I actually had a friend who always used tips he made from the soles of his old shoes. He was definitely cheap but not sure that was the only reason.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Hard tips

Most of my solid leather hard tip customers prefer triangle .

Allot of custom and production cues come with a triangle tip on them ….

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Depending on soft, medium or hard I like elkmasters (soft), lepro (medium to medium hard) and triangle (medium hard to hard).

Keep in mind though, the elkmasters can be made hard. The lepro I've used are what I would consider medium out of the box and hard with pressing.

If you decide that hard is your preference, I suggest triangle. Then press them if not hard enough.

All recommendations above are good but IMO triangle is "hard" to beat. Especially when pressed.

Rake

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Lately I have been loving LePro. My standard is either LePro, Triangle, or WB. Not a fan of layered tips in general, with a couple exceptions. It's nearly impossible to go wrong with a well broken in LePro, so I don't get too far from that.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Out of the box, I think the Triangles are the best. I use a lot of LePros that I press after soaking in milk. I think they are my favourites, but of course they need a little bit of work.

I just had an ivory ferrule and searing medium put on my cue. Picked it up yesterday. I have been playing with triangles and TAD. The only multi layer I have played that I liked was the Morri. I am starting to believe most multi layer tips suck. Completely dull the cue. I have tried many now and they all suck from a feedback sound stand point. Whenever I get the tip compressed and to the point in which I like it, it’s time to replace it. Frustrating. Going to give this searing (second try) some time to see if it comes alive. I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2003 Rchard Black , that I bought personally from him, came with solid tips that he said he made himself, played for 15 years with those tips, not full time, but they were great, just replaced them. Not sure if he is still in cue business.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

I prefer solid leather. I have an Elkmaster on my new Meuccis, Le Pro on the McDermott and the Joss and a Champion ( remember those? ) on my 73 Meucci.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've gone back to Le Pro. They're great again.
Second to that is a tie twixt Milkduds, (pooldawg8), and Triangles.
I do have an original Chandivert Champion/Micarta ferruled shaft for my Rick Howard that I take out sometimes!

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I've gone back to Le Pro. They're great again.
Second to that is a tie twixt Milkduds, (pooldawg8), and Triangles.
I do have an original Chandivert Champion/Micarta ferruled shaft for my Rick Howard that I take out sometimes!

Haven't had a Champion on a cue since the mid-to-late-70s or so. I wanted to see how it felt for old time's sake and, actually? I like it. Much more than I thought I would.