Deciding between a couple of break tips

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering if anyone has used the ON Cyborg, I wasn't able to find reviews. Mostly looking for opinions on whether to go with one made of leather or one of the plastic/phenolic ones?

Considering a Samsara, Taom, Hammerhead, or ON Cyborg

Last edited:

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White Diamond is my favorite, excellent tip at 1/2 to 1/4 of the price!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
try a g10 material tip
you can thank me later
:thumbup:

G10 damages cue balls, stay far away from it.

As for the Cyborg, I like them. Good control and a solid, hard hit. I put one on a cheap Action break cue, Im impressed with it. I dont know why, but it glows in the dark, and I find that funny. :thumbup:

42321309685_d7dc59c4dd_c.jpg

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering if anyone has used the ON Cyborg, I wasn't able to find reviews. Mostly looking for opinions on whether to go with one made of leather or one of the plastic/phenolic ones?

If it attaches, my experience with the Cyborg tips is bad. Multiple cracking issues. Pic was taken before it got bad. Not only did it crack, it mushroomed a bit. Notice the blue portions of the top edge. Well side/bottom since pic got rotated. I use a samsara and haven’t had a single problem. No delaminating, or mushrooming. No chipping or cracking.

Attachments

• 09B4415A-E28E-493E-88F7-F4E5A4143F62.jpg
    09B4415A-E28E-493E-88F7-F4E5A4143F62.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 810

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best non leather I have tried is Hammerhead hands down. More power and control than white diamond ( my second favorite non leather). For leather tips, Gator is my choice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samsara or white Diamond if you can get it to stay on. I have seen a few people have issues with the white diamond popping off even when using the recommendation way to attach them.

On the other hand, I have hardly ever heard a bad comment on the Samsara break tip.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are all good for breaking, actually.

If you don't already have one, it will be great. If you already have one, I don't think you are really going to notice a big difference by another.

If I ever need to replace mine, I am going to go with leather-based. That said, mine is 13yr old and looks/ plays like the day I got it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it attaches, my experience with the Cyborg tips is bad. Multiple cracking issues. Pic was taken before it got bad. Not only did it crack, it mushroomed a bit. Notice the blue portions of the top edge. Well side/bottom since pic got rotated. I use a samsara and haven’t had a single problem. No delaminating, or mushrooming. No chipping or cracking.

Was that the first generation? The first bunch supposedly had that issue, as did the 1st gen taom tip (if I had to guess, probably the same or at least very similar material).

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd like to try an Outsville Hammerhead after all the positive comments I've heard about it, but I really like the Sonic tip that comes standard on all Mezz break cues. Sounds really hard when you hit it, but I've never miscued
or had any problem when choosing to use any bottom or any sidespin for a cut break.

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Samsara for years and thought I would try something different. It has been my experience that break tips always had that really harsh hit (which makes sense since you’re trying to get the hardest tip possible to crush the rack), but I’ve always hated that feel, so much so that I was considering putting a Kamui hard or even medium tip on my breaker to get better feel from the hit. Then I read someone’s personal review of a break tip test he did where he said Taom tips had a softer feeling hit.

I have a Lomax break cue and jumper so in essence I have two break shafts, so I was able to keep the Samsara I had used for years on a shaft I could use in case I didn’t like the Taom or have a means to do side by side comparisons to determine which way I wanted to go.

In my incredibly unscientific conclusion I really love the Taom. It doesn’t have that really harsh feel at impact and achieves this without sacrificing MPH on my break and it holds chalk better than any break tip I’ve ever used...and as much as I like it as a breaker it jumps like a kangaroo with his ass on fire.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KISS method works wonders for pool in general.

Break tips are no different.

Hard one-piece leather no matter "who" made the cue.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I’ve found out with break tips is find a good one and get used to it. Whenever I switched the stock phenolic tip on my BK2 for a samsara, I couldn’t control the CB worth a damn but after about an hour I was in love. Then when I switched from Samsara to Taom, same thing. There’s a bunch of companies making good break tips. The best one is the one you’re comfortable with. However I did notice a big improvement when I switched the white diamond to Taom on my jump cue. Taom jumps way better for me.

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to try an Outsville Hammerhead after all the positive comments I've heard about it, but I really like the Sonic tip that comes standard on all Mezz break cues. Sounds really hard when you hit it, but I've never miscued
or had any problem when choosing to use any bottom or any sidespin for a cut break.

I switched to white diamond from sonic tip when jeff de luna let me compare his then mezz h shaft with mine. He had a white diamond on his and the stock sonic tip felt a bit hollow compared to the white diamond. I switched to hammerhead after because i found it gave a bit more power but a lot more control compared to the white diamond. The hammerhead actually felt a tad bit softer because you will feel a little “bite” or compression when you hit the cue ball but the power is there. Downside is you have to scuff it every now and then because it smoothens up quite abit after a few weeks of use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk