im keeping my new cloth spotless and clean

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after reading all of the replys to my post last month on how to keep my new 860 simiones cloth clean, i made my decision. i now vacumm the cloth with a small brush attachment,( the vacumm is not very strong, just a cheap one to clean the tile floor), every two days. this will remove all of the chalk marks and dirt. then i use a microfiber towel, soaked in hot water and a very small amount of oxiclean. i really wring out the rag, and then wipe down the table in 4 sections. because the rag is so wrung out, i can rally clean a area that needs it. cleaning the rails also the same way.

the table comes out looking brand new. no more sprays for me. this method is really working well for me.

thanks again for the tips:wink:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same process I use, except I use Woolite instead of Oxiclean. I agree! It works good. Biggest problem I have are my cats wanting jump on the table with dirty paws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I quit chalking my break cue when I play at home, I only hit center ball and rarely miss cue. I noticed the balls stay cleaner and so does the table. The break releases a lot of chalk over the head string area and pounds chalk into the cue ball which then pounds it into the other balls. It may not be for everyone but this has made a difference on how clean the balls and the table stays.

Bryce1552

Registered
after reading all of the replys to my post last month on how to keep my new 860 simiones cloth clean, i made my decision. i now vacumm the cloth with a small brush attachment,( the vacumm is not very strong, just a cheap one to clean the tile floor), every two days. this will remove all of the chalk marks and dirt. then i use a microfiber towel, soaked in hot water and a very small amount of oxiclean. i really wring out the rag, and then wipe down the table in 4 sections. because the rag is so wrung out, i can rally clean a area that needs it. cleaning the rails also the same way.

the table comes out looking brand new. no more sprays for me. this method is really working well for me.

I'm going to have to give the damp cloth thing a try I've got a few stray marks from scooping a ball full force across my cloth and I've been too afraid to use chemicals after my old cloth got completely discolored from using them.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, I started out with a very similar system...two years after cloth install and I might do it once every couple weeks... here's hoping you are more disciplined than I am.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Same process I use, except I use Woolite instead of Oxiclean. I agree! It works good. Biggest problem I have are my cats wanting jump on the table with dirty paws.

Knew a girl who got a new table. Had two cats. I told her, you might think about getting a cover sooner than later. She tells me, oh it'll be fine. Within two weeks, cat piss on the table. Don't know what she tried to clean it with, but pulled half the color out. Cloth was trashed.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I personally don’t really see the need to wipe down the table every couple of days with a wet cloth in addition to vacuuming it every few sessions. Maybe wiping it down with a damp cloth a couple times a month at the most. I’d just have to question it being a good thing for the cloth to continually be dampened as often as that. Also, don’t forget to wipe down the balls as well as the bottom of the pockets regularly!

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the wide ‘horsehair/roller’ attachment for my old canister vac. It is fast to use, and cleans up chalk equally as well as the ‘spray’ routine (I alternate, just in case). If not damaging the wool fibers is the main concern (as with rotating brush vac), I wonder if repeated wiping with a damp cloth might be suspect? The microfiber tool used with the spray system seems very low-friction, and works electrostaticaly. Has anyone researched the deleterious effects of the repeated wetting/drying of wool fibers?

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I quit chalking my break cue when I play at home, I only hit center ball and rarely miss cue. I noticed the balls stay cleaner and so does the table. The break releases a lot of chalk over the head string area and pounds chalk into the cue ball which then pounds it into the other balls. It may not be for everyone but this has made a difference on how clean the balls and the table stays.

I never thought of that. Good tip … starting immediately. Thanks, buddy. :thumbup:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Also beware of guests who chalk their cue with the tip over the table.
Dumps large amounts of chalk grit on the cloth. I see the pros do
it all the time, but they don't have to clean up after themselves

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knew a girl who got a new table. Had two cats. I told her, you might think about getting a cover sooner than later. She tells me, oh it'll be fine. Within two weeks, cat piss on the table. Don't know what she tried to clean it with, but pulled half the color out. Cloth was trashed.

I have a cover, actually I have two, one cheapie to cover the good cover. The female cat just can’t resist jumping up on the table while I’m doing drills. The spray water bottle is getting heavy use right now. The male cat was easy to train, but the female not so much. I am making progress though.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I personally don’t really see the need to wipe down the table every couple of days with a wet cloth in addition to vacuuming it every few sessions. Maybe wiping it down with a damp cloth a couple times a month at the most. I’d just have to question it being a good thing for the cloth to continually be dampened as often as that. Also, don’t forget to wipe down the balls as well as the bottom of the pockets regularly!

My thought as well just to the overall cleaning regimen.

You are wearing the cloth through that much cleaning. I don't know how much you play but even non-stop over two days I don't think it needs cleaning that bad. I'd back off to once a week at least, maybe less.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Has anyone researched the deleterious effects of the repeated wetting/drying of wool fibers?
I've vacuumed and damp (not wet) wiped my table (Simonis 860 HR) every day for years with no ill effect. "My" table is the one I use at the pool hall - I agree with others that a home table doesn't need nearly that much cleaning.

A long time ago I used a vac with a rotating brush on the same kind of cloth and pretty quickly turned it into high-nap slow cloth. Don't do that.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I have a cover, actually I have two, one cheapie to cover the good cover. The female cat just can’t resist jumping up on the table while I’m doing drills. The spray water bottle is getting heavy use right now. The male cat was easy to train, but the female not so much. I am making progress though.

Hehe I love the cat + spray bottle equation. My buddy has a cat that actively plots on jumping up on the table while we’re playing. He’ll try to sneak, then make a dash and jump before you can grab him, even though every single time he just gets taken off. I’ll suggest the sprayer :)

I just did a full vacuum and wipe down and plan on actually using my cover this time damnit:rolleyes: all the daily dust settling in slows it up drastically over time. I don’t clean it often lol.

I used that Great white chalk for a week or so and it just coated the whole cloth, my hand was coming away half chalked after 20 minutes of playing.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I never thought of that. Good tip … starting immediately. Thanks, buddy. :thumbup:

Let me know how it works! I still hit the cueball 1/8" low on my break to get the CB to hop back a little and I believe you get much more speed transferred by doing that. About the only time I see a mis-cue is when a friend borrows my break cue and I neglect to let them know that I have gone "chalk free".

Also beware of guests who chalk their cue with the tip over the table.
Dumps large amounts of chalk grit on the cloth. I see the pros do
it all the time, but they don't have to clean up after themselves

Absolutely, I see pros do many things that go against proper etiquette, at least as I have been taught or have learned. Wiping down the rails is also a good idea before you begin play and between matches. Use a white bar napkin and see what you pick up;). Taking chalk and grime off of the rail will keep your palms much cleaner and there will be less chance of that same crap getting on the cloth.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

A few drops of Frank's Hot Sauce in the spray bottle with water may speed up your progress a bit:yikes:

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im also using a break pad on my draw shots when i practice. keeps the chalk dust storm on the break pad instead of the table. i play three hours a day. now that im using a break pad for draw shots, i might skip a day or so, as the table is not nearly as chalkly as when i wasnt using a break pad.

i just want a totally clean table when i practice. i enjoy this game so much, a clean table is part of my enjoyment.

and yes after 18 months of playing at age 62, things are going well, really well:cool:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lol, I sometimes miscue if I forget to chalk my break cue and break as normal. I guess very deliberately hitting center ball on the break solves this. The break is indeed the biggest culprit for splattering the table and the balls with chalk.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t worry about it.. I’m not going to find those perfect conditions at the places I play so I don’t want perfect conditions when I practice at home.