Looking for an image of the magnified surface of a pool ball

I don't know if I've ever seen an actual photograph, but does anyone have a photo of the magnified surface of a pool, snooker or billiard ball? We always talk about the pits and grooves on the surface, just not sure I've seen an actual photograph.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't know if I've ever seen an actual photograph, but does anyone have a photo of the magnified surface of a pool, snooker or billiard ball? We always talk about the pits and grooves on the surface, just not sure I've seen an actual photograph.

There's one out there somewhere. I've heard that the magnified surface of a cue ball is rougher than the Earths' surface.

Maybe Dr. Dave has a picture of one.

Maniac

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Here is a photo of a piece of cloth on one of the Gold Crown IV's at the pool room where I sometimes play One Pocket. It has been magnified 8,000 times.
That insect you see there is a common cloth flea, found in the more seedier establishments. Places where they don't change the cloth as often as they should. Right Phil? :smile:

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here you go.

Attachments

• 220px-Moon_South_Pole.jpg
    220px-Moon_South_Pole.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,613

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I seriously doubt a macro shot would be able to provide that much detail on the object, might have to use some special macro lens cos to get to those texture..it seems too microscopic for regular lens. I'll give it a shot later when I have time, never know.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It is...

I have heard the same thing.....

i've actually done the math and although I've seen people claim the earth is NOT as round as the average billiard ball, that is brand new off the assembly line billiard balls, I doubt very seriously that your average billiard ball is more round than the earth, even with the centripetal bulge at the equator...

Jaden

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's one out there somewhere. I've heard that the magnified surface of a cue ball is rougher than the Earths' surface.

I have a bunch of images created with a scanning white light interferometer. I've been saving them for a future BD article; but since you've asked, I've posted a couple here:

Check them out,
Dave

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Maniac

The earth is SMOOTHER
The cue-ball is ROUNDER

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Off subject alittle, but many years ago here on AZB I saw a photo of a pool table cloth when it is really humid magnified many times and it looked like an ocean of water.

David Harcrow

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i've actually done the math and although I've seen people claim the earth is NOT as round as the average billiard ball, that is brand new off the assembly line billiard balls, I doubt very seriously that your average billiard ball is more round than the earth, even with the centripetal bulge at the equator...

Jaden
The Earth's polar diameter is 0.33% smaller than its equatorial diameter. I've heard billiard balls are made to a "roundness" tolerance of 0.22%. If that's true of billiard balls then they're slightly rounder than the Earth.

But the question isn't how round they are; it's how rough their surfaces are.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
The Earth's polar diameter is 0.33% smaller than its equatorial diameter. I've heard billiard balls are made to a "roundness" tolerance of 0.22%. If that's true of billiard balls then they're slightly rounder than the Earth.

But the question isn't how round they are; it's how rough their surfaces are.

pj
chgo

theoretically maybe

your "earth" roundness is an average.. as that exact measurement is in a constant state of flux..given gravitational tidal forces of the moon, sun, and other cosmic bodies.. the roundness of the earth at any given second is quite lopsided and constantly changing.. you need decade long averages to even pretend that it's close to round..

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo
soft shot:
theoretically maybe

your "earth" roundness is an average.. as that exact measurement is in a constant state of flux..given gravitational tidal forces of the moon, sun, and other cosmic bodies.. the roundness of the earth at any given second is quite lopsided and constantly changing.. you need decade long averages to even pretend that it's close to round..
The 0.33% difference in Earth's polar and equatorial diameters is something like 26 miles. Earth's tidal bulges are measured in feet. Tidal variations in the Earth's crust are less than an inch. These tiny variations are meaningless to the comparison of Earth's roundness with billiard balls.

But, again, the question isn't how round they are; it's how rough their surfaces are.

pj
chgo

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
surface is relative.. to the lens...

here is what a semiconductor ceramic.. glass like surface..looks like with enough magnification..

apparently atoms are nudists...LOL seriously no photoshop involved

peopleeeee.jpg

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
The 0.33% difference in Earth's polar and equatorial diameters is something like 26 miles. Earth's tidal bulges are measured in feet. Tidal variations in the Earth's crust are less than an inch. These tiny variations are meaningless to the comparison of Earth's roundness with billiard balls.

But, again, the question isn't how round they are; it's how rough their surfaces are.

pj
chgo

well now that seems to be a point of controversy .. is the surface of the ocean = to the surface of the earth? if not... why not?