Billy Thorpe - A Pet Peeve Of Mine

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think it through:
Player expects sponsor to provide attire.
Sponsor has to order attire before it is needed.

Stickers are FAR cheaper, go on any piece of attire, ensure adherence to branding, easier to deliver to player.

Using stickers, instead of embroidery, is a sound practice.

I have thought it through and it's cheap as hell on the sponsor's part.
Hell, they should have a shirt made up in advance when they are pitching the idea to the player to even sign up with them

I hope you were kidding

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have thought it through and it's cheap as hell on the sponsor's part.
Hell, they should have a shirt made up in advance when they are pitching the idea to the player to even sign up with them

I hope you were kidding

Not kidding at all.

What good is one shirt gonna do?

Buying shirts and having THEM custom embsoldered is not 'cheap', to a business that lives off pool.

The sponsor could likely get hundreds of sticker patches for the price of a couple shirts. They could be used for other purposes too.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golly gee.........

The poor game of pool is hanging on by a thread compared to other sports. So I long ago quit comparing it to other professional sports since it is unique. It is like nothing else and never will be, at least in the United States.

Also, some players are not as "professional" as others. Chang, Shane, Niels, Ko, Efren and a few others come to mind as good examples of a "professional". They go about their "business" relatively drama free.

For example, Thorpe, Shaw, Earl, Delchaine, they seem to occasionally have drama on and off the table, at least according to posting members of this forum. I think it is just the difference in pool players respecting their sport and promoting it's image.

But, who cares right? The only thing that really matters is how good they are at poking a ball in a hole with a stick. If they are good at that we love them and over look their faults.

I personally think most pro pool players are better in character then most pro foot ball players. They are always in the news for domestic violence, drug use and disrespecting our National Anthem. I no longer watch foot ball.

Maybe Thorpe is finally reaching a top level of play and will come to terms with how important his appearance is and his professional ethics are. I say give him a chance to grow up a bit, call fouls on him self that no one sees, make sure his clothes are squared away for a match, etc.

All that is a good character building stuff.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stickers that are found on apples in the produce section are my first choice. My second choice are the stickers you get at the doctor for being brave after a flu shot.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The poor game of pool is hanging on by a thread compared to other sports..

More people PLAY pool than almost every other sport in the u.s.

And ironically there is literally millions of dollars a year being spent on pool, and being paid out in prize monies.

PRO POOL is in terrible shape, yes, but the game is very prolific otherwise .

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stickers on a pro player's shirt is like asking a prositute to wear a Sealy Posturepedic Mattress sticker on her halter top and a Trojan sticker on her back.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I've written about this before and it's reared its ugly head again.

During Billy and Jayson's match as Billy was going down to take a shot his freaking Molinari Glove sponsor patch fell off his chest and onto the table. The US Open is an all-balls-foul event and this came close to being a foul.

Why in the world don't the sponsor patches get sewn or screened onto the players shirts? :angry:

Besides creating a potential foul situation like what we saw with Billy, I think it makes our sport look low rent.

Added to this was that for the rest of the match, I watched as Billy had to keep checking this patch to make sure it was sticking to his shirt. He's obv got enough other things to be thinking about that he shouldn't have such a distraction.

imo, there's no excuse for this.

btw, this same thing happened with Jayson at, I think, Derby City a few years ago. It was great to see him last night wearing an all-screened shirt. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

I want to be clear on something:

I don't fault Billy Thorpe or any of the other players for these stick on patches. The players are doing what they have to to scratch out whatever $$$ they can.

I feel like sponsors should step up for the players they want to sponsor and not let it be last second at a tourney because a certain player is doing well there.

However, players should control what they can, when poss and if you know you're gonna be sponsored to wear a patch for an upcoming tourney, pls get it sewn on.

best,
brian kc