Elkpro vs triangle vs milkdud

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I ran across an Elkpro recently as one of the regulars in my room, whom is a snooker player, provided one and asked me to install it on his snooker cue.

Opposed to your regular Elkmasters, the tip was green, somewhat pre-pressed and lacked the chalk-tumbled exterior. When I glued it on and stared to cut it, however, it reminded me very much like shaping most Elkmasters; i.e., it's not the most fun experience out there. Inside it was fibrous and irregular like most Elks are.

Elkpros are sold as "select" and "professional" Elkmasters in a box of 3 for somewhere between $40-50 per box. In my limited experience I don't think they are worth the price. I may have just gotten a bad one.

At that price, one could buy a box of 50 regular Elks for >$20 and weed out the bad ones - I'm sure you'll find more than 3 keepers per box.

Or better yet, just grab yourself some milkduds from Jeff (pooldawg8) on here. They're the best iteration of Elmasters I've ever used.

Dam I had no idea they were that high lol....I was given a couple 13s and a box of 10s (3).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i've only this year started pressing my own Elkmasters, and i can tell already they're far and away the best thing i've ever played with. all the feel of a soft/medium moori with none of the issues of a soft and more grab than a hard.

so for me as a noobie, how do you tell out of a bag of 'em which ones are the keepers?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
so for me as a noobie, how do you tell out of a bag of 'em which ones are the keepers?

One method that has been used for Triangle tips (and I'm sure many others) is to drop them into a glass of water and use the ones that sink.

Maniac

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I ran across an Elkpro recently as one of the regulars in my room, whom is a snooker player, provided one and asked me to install it on his snooker cue.

Opposed to your regular Elkmasters, the tip was green, somewhat pre-pressed and lacked the chalk-tumbled exterior. When I glued it on and stared to cut it, however, it reminded me very much like shaping most Elkmasters; i.e., it's not the most fun experience out there. Inside it was fibrous and irregular like most Elks are.

Elkpros are sold as "select" and "professional" Elkmasters in a box of 3 for somewhere between $40-50 per box. In my limited experience I don't think they are worth the price. I may have just gotten a bad one.

At that price, one could buy a box of 50 regular Elks for >$20 and weed out the bad ones - I'm sure you'll find more than 3 keepers per box.

Or better yet, just grab yourself some milkduds from Jeff (pooldawg8) on here. They're the best iteration of Elmasters I've ever used.

I agree 100%. As far as snooker tips go, the Elkmaster is the best deal out there. It's unbelievable how cheap they are. They're actually so cheap that it's a problem for the image. People refuse to believe something so cheap can be good, so they created this, so people could feel they have a "premium" product. Buy a box of regular Elk Masters, weed out the bad ones. That goes for LePros as well. I personally don't like how the Elkmaster cuts, and I prefer the feel of LePros, but the "pro" Elkmaster does nothing that the regular doesn't.