You break it, you bought it

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone ever have someone damage or break your cue and then refuse to pay for said damages?
I learned a long time ago - if you love your cue you have to take care of it at all times and NOT let anyone shoot with it, or in the case of myself, I really don't even want anyone picking it up. Most people here may think this is extreme, and that's fine by me. If you want to let others try out / handle your cue, that is your choice and you'll have to live with the consequences. Last time I let someone shoot a few shots with my cue, they immediately started raking balls / the cue ball across the table with the shaft - based on that experience, never again! If someone is going to put a ding/nick on my cue, it's going to be me.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess i deserved it-A guy asked me to try out his cue and i hit a ball or two up table and was gently moving one of them back with the tip/shaft of the cue. The guy pretty much jumped over the table next to me to get that cue out of my hands! LOL!

I had a more expensive cue than he did and did that move all the time. I never thought twice about it. So anyway i learned a lesson-I need to be more careful and i need to be aware that some people are way more anal than me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think your position is extreme at all.

I dont let others handle my real playing cue either...and I am sure we aren't the only 2 with this position.

I learned a long time ago - if you love your cue you have to take care of it at all times and NOT let anyone shoot with it, or in the case of myself, I really don't even want anyone picking it up. Most people here may think this is extreme, and that's fine by me. If you want to let others try out / handle your cue, that is your choice and you'll have to live with the consequences. Last time I let someone shoot a few shots with my cue, they immediately started raking balls / the cue ball across the table with the shaft - based on that experience, never again! If someone is going to put a ding/nick on my cue, it's going to be me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess i deserved it-A guy asked me to try out his cue and i hit a ball or two up table and was gently moving one of them back with the tip/shaft of the cue. The guy pretty much jumped over the table next to me to get that cue out of my hands! LOL!

I had a more expensive cue than he did and did that move all the time. I never thought twice about it. So anyway i learned a lesson-I need to be more careful and i need to be aware that some people are way more anal than me.
I was at a BCA trade show many years ago and Richard Black was there with an all-white ivory and abalone (or something) cue. Based on sales of his other cues during that time of cue frenzy, he estimated that it could go for about $100,000. I shot some shots with it but I remembered to not gather balls with the shaft. It was not really a comfortable shooting experience. It might have been this one (El Blanco Grande):
elblancogrande.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's one thing to do it with your own cue, but doing it when trying out someone else's cue is just simple common courtesy not cool, even if it's an indestructible Revo shaft. That being said, most people would do exactly what you did, even if the owner of the cue instructed them to be very careful with it.

That's why I've made the choice not to let anyone try my cue, because what I may consider being careful with my cue (nothing other than the tip of the cue is to ever contact a ball on the table) may not be the same as what the person trying it out considers as being careful with my cue. Instead of sounding like a real ***** and having to explain all these rules I have for anyone wishing to try out my cue and then watching them like a hawk while they are trying it out, for myself it's easier as a rule just not to let anyone try it out, with a few exceptions for players I trust, who know how I treat my cue.

Last edited:

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get it.
Never let another near your good cue, never.
If I ever let anyone try my pool cue, they would have to be extremely reputable and share an equal respect for me as I them.
Ask to play with my 57' Corvette, I would lose my shit on you.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
One night I knocked a guys cue over and dinged the shaft. I felt bad and offered the guy 30 bucks to get someone to get the ding out, which is more then what it would normally cost, but like I said, I felt bad about it.

The guy is a regular and a pretty nice dude and said don't worry about...

He then goes to the bar and gets a shot glass and starts rubbing it up and down the shaft where the ding is... Kept bragging to everyone the this raises the ding out... I ddint have the heart to tell him that it's actually pushing the wood around the ding down and completely ****ing up the taper...

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I get it.
Never let another near your good cue, never.
If I ever let anyone try my pool cue, they would have to be extremely reputable and share an equal respect for me as I them.
Ask to play with my 57' Corvette, I would lose my shit on you.

Regardless of how much mutual respect you share, even with you standing close
enough to catch the cue when they drop it, they will find a way to bang it against the table after they shoot.
Natural reflex motion when playing with someone else's cue.
Part of the brain shuts down when a guy has your cue, and there are too many
variables to cover all the different ways things can go wrong.

Today I was polishing a cue sitting on my bed.
Left the room to go get something, came back and the cue was on the floor.
Even my little dog has no respect for pool cues, and he is 16 years old, old enough to know better.
There are just too many ways to get burned and he was sleeping, but I forgot he is
going to follow me when I leave the room.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HA...I was playing by myself at the hall one day and a cat comes up shooting with a stick off the wall...he wants to shoot some. Guy is a really good shot, getting good about 4 out of every 5 shots, keeps blaming the house cue, asks if he can shoot with my spare...I say ok, he shoots a couple of shots, grabs the Blue Master chalk off the table and I think he is going to chalk the stick and keep shooting...douche-nozzle then proceeds to run the blue chalk all over the inside of his bridge hand, on his fingers, between his index and middle finger, between his thumb and index...

I look at the guy and say, "you cannot be serious"...he goes to shoot...I grab my cue and tell him to get out of here with that shit...friggin' juvenile.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m playing at someone’s house. I have a new leather case on the floor under the table. His cats used the case to trim their nails. Who do I sue.